- Martin Wuerthner hopes to tackle the problem of keeping the RISC OS printer drivers up to date with ROUGPS - RISC OS Universal Graphics Printing System. The project aims to port the open source gimp-print library and build a RISC OS printer driver around it. The idea sprung from a discussion on Usenet. The project will be funded by donations - Martin would rather not take money immediately, he would like users to pledge sums they would be willing to donate once the project is finished and working. Show your support!
- Chris Hughes is gauging interest for the next Wakefield show - see this thread on csa.misc. Suggestions to make the show financially viable include a change of venue. Read our preview and report of the show from earlier this year.
- Subscription rates for Archive magazine will go up in October - editor Paul Beverley urges both new and renewal subscribers to beat the prise rise.
- R-Comp update Grapevine - but how will they respond to Microsoft's third-party MSN client switchoff in October? New features include settings for different users, chat logging, IRC file downloads and more! R-Comp have also released DataPower Home, a flat-file database based on Iota Software's DataPower 1.
- Registered users of Aemulor can obtain a free upgrade to version 2.20. The new release incorporates various compatibility enhancements, bug fixes, and uses less memory when running. Aemulor's comprehensive manual, along with other technical information, can now be read online.
- Castle have appointed a new and exclusive distributor for Oregano 2. Oregano UK will be responsible for all sales, marketing and technical support for the web browser, which will continue to be shipped as a free application on the Iyonix, Risc PC and A7000+.
- Alligata Media have given away copies of DTP Principles to Risc World subscribers. The guide is on sale to the general public with a choice of three CDs (Ovation 1, 75,000 WMF files or 5,000 JPEG photos) for £6 inc. P&P.
- Drobe have reports that the elusive Alpha and Omega are in users' hands - meanwhile The ARM Club (winners of an Omega at the Wakefield show) have published their own review in Eureka, their club "magazine".
- Iconbar bedfellows ROAST (the RISC OS ASTronomy group) have set up their web site, packed with resources for users interested in all aspects of astronomy, atmospheric and earth sciences.
AMPlay 1.52 - updates include an enhanced interface • Armalyser 0.46 - analyse ARM code • GnuPG 1.2.3 - maintainance release • HolyBible 2.06 - 32-bitted and speech support • Python 2.3 - maintainance release of the popular programming language • SibToDraw - build music scores • Stealth - encryption utility • Teletext - scripting system for teletext receivers • Verma 0.23 - display module information • Webgen2 - create thumbnail web pages • Workspace - bug fixes for multiple desktops
Apologies for the lack of new news - we're investigating various ways of keeping you up to date with the RISC OS scene. We'll be adding some substantial new content soon! Stay tuned...