User accounts
Register new account
Forgot password
Forum stats
List of members
Search the forums

Advanced search
Recent discussions
- WROCC Newsletter Volume 41:11 reviewed (News:)
- WROCC March 2024 meeting o... Hughes and Peter Richmond (News:1)
- Rougol March 2024 meeting on monday with Bernard Boase (News:)
- Drag'n'Drop 13i2 edition reviewed (News:)
- South-West Show 2024 talks (News:4)
- February 2024 News Summary (News:1)
- Next developer fireside chat (News:)
- DDE31d released (News:)
- South-West Show 2024 Report (News:)
- South-West Show 2024 in pictures (News:)
Latest postings RSS Feeds
RSS 2.0 | 1.0 | 0.9
Atom 0.3
Misc RDF | CDF

View on Mastodon
@www.iconbar.com@rss-parrot.net
Site Search

Article archives
Acorn Arcade forums: Site Comments: Poor Timing

Poor Timing
  adamr (08:25 16/6/2007)
  moss (08:49 16/6/2007)
    Phlamethrower (08:55 16/6/2007)
      adamr (09:41 2/7/2007)
        rich (12:36 2/7/2007)
          adamr (15:10 2/7/2007)
            rich (15:26 2/7/2007)
        Phlamethrower (12:46 2/7/2007)
    Col (12:06 18/6/2007)
      filecore (12:13 18/6/2007)
      monkeyson2 (12:15 18/6/2007)
  flibble (12:44 18/6/2007)

Adam Message #102938, posted by adamr at 08:25, 16/6/2007
A while ago you (iconbar) announced a shift in your emphasis away from day-to-day RISC OS news. I figured this seemed fine since drobe has always done that very capably. However, it seems drobe (e.g. it's one? editor) is struggling to cope due to a change in circumstances.

Given Iconbar seems to have more writers etc I wonder if you'd consider reclaiming the regularly-updated-RISC OS-news-site baton?

Cheers,
Adam
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

John Hoare Message #102940, posted by moss at 08:49, 16/6/2007, in reply to message #102938

Sad to say, most of the reason TIB moved away from RISC OS news is because most of us don't really use RISC OS much any more - so writing exclusively about RISC OS doesn't really hold much appeal.

(Drobe definitely used to be a factor - but by the time it came to make the decision to change our focus, it was an extremely small one.)

I'd say there's definitely a gap in the market for another RISC OS news site now - but it won't be us that does it, I'm afraid.

The next question beyond that, however, is "why aren't you updating at all?" Which is a fair point, to be honest - and one which I take my share of the blame for. I think we've all been busy with work-related things recently, but we should have found time to post something.
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Jeffrey Lee Message #102941, posted by Phlamethrower at 08:55, 16/6/2007, in reply to message #102940
PhlamethrowerHot Hot Hot Hot Hot Hot Hot Hot Hot Hot Hot Hot Hot stuff

I think we've all been busy with work-related things recently,
Yeah, it's worth pointing out that, like Chris McDrobe, none of us are students anymore either. We've got jobs to do during daytime and social lives/other things to do at night. I think the only advantage we have over Chris is that there are more of us - but as moss says, many of us have moved away from RISC OS, so there are few left who are interested/willing to do RISC OS news (whether occasionally or full-time).
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Colin Cartmell-Browne Message #103037, posted by Col at 12:06, 18/6/2007, in reply to message #102940
I'd say there's definitely a gap in the market for another RISC OS news site now - but it won't be us that does it, I'm afraid.
Actually rather than someone start a *new* RISC OS news site I think it would be better for them to contact Chris @ Drobe or Iconbar and volunteer their services.
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Jason Togneri Message #103038, posted by filecore at 12:13, 18/6/2007, in reply to message #103037

Actually rather than someone start a *new* RISC OS news site I think it would be better for them to contact Chris @ Drobe or Iconbar and volunteer their services.
Seconded! Sadly I can't personally help as I'm so far at the periphery of the RISC OS 'scene' now that I have absolutely nothing to offer unhappy
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Phil Mellor Message #103039, posted by monkeyson2 at 12:15, 18/6/2007, in reply to message #103037
monkeyson2Please don't let them make me be a monkey butler

There's also the fact that researching and writing RISC OS news is a thoroughly depressing experience.

I gave up on the "RISC OS in comments" column after three weeks because I was sick of wading through all the arguments and bickering. (I think it was the time when Chocky and PV had their argument on the Iyonix mailing list.)
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Peter Howkins Message #103044, posted by flibble at 12:44, 18/6/2007, in reply to message #102938
flibble

Now all we need is for something to happen, and I'll get right on it.

Trying to spin small occurrences into full news articles whilst presenting an "everything is fine, maybe even better !!!!!1111!!11" face, so you don't get shouted at, seems to be more work than people can be bothered with. It's certainly more than I can be bothered with.

PS, could we have another article on TIB that annoys John Cartmel please, they are my favourite. Moss?
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Adam Message #103245, posted by adamr at 09:41, 2/7/2007, in reply to message #102941
Fair enough. I wonder if the site should be altered to reflect the new emphasis. For instance, there wasn't a single news article in June and very few on average at all recently. That makes the front page with it's big emphasis on "news" items a bit strange. Perhaps this calls for some re-organisation?

Adam
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Richard Goodwin Message #103249, posted by rich at 12:36, 2/7/2007, in reply to message #103245
Rich
Dictator for life
Fair enough. I wonder if the site should be altered to reflect the new emphasis. For instance, there wasn't a single news article in June and very few on average at all recently. That makes the front page with it's big emphasis on "news" items a bit strange. Perhaps this calls for some re-organisation?
Sorry, which site are we talking about now? As Drobe has posted four items last month, I take it you're talking about TIB?

Seeing as TIB doesn't mention news at all on the front page (other than an email link), we don't have a 'big emphasis on "news"' at all. As everything is article based, with tags for searching, I can't see how the site could un-emphasize news any more than we already did!
________
RichGCheers,
Rich.
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Jeffrey Lee Message #103251, posted by Phlamethrower at 12:46, 2/7/2007, in reply to message #103245
PhlamethrowerHot Hot Hot Hot Hot Hot Hot Hot Hot Hot Hot Hot Hot stuff

[edit - Tsk, pesky Rich getting in before me. And being unable to count the number of times "news" is mentioned!]

We've already re-organised like that, haven't we? There are only 3 places where it says "news" on the front page - the page title (which perhaps could be changed), a link for people to submit news to us, and in the title for one of the forum threads.

The original intention with the relaunch was that we were going to be posting a news item/article at least once every two days. Obviously we abandoned that idea fairly quickly, and things have gone downhill from there. In that regard I guess you could say the front page is no longer working, as items are staying up for a lot longer than initially intended (and I was never really a fan of the way we've merged news and articles into just "articles", but that's perhaps another issue entirely).

Before we change anything, I think I'll give all the staff a good tongue-lashing, to see what our options are for getting the site a regular update schedule.

I apologize for our lack of updates recently, but I don't think it's something that we should be forgiven for. It's something that we should have spotted and dealt with a long time ago, even if it was just an announcement to say "Sorry, we aren't going to be posting articles very often anymore".

[Edited by Phlamethrower at 13:47, 2/7/2007]
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Adam Message #103253, posted by adamr at 15:10, 2/7/2007, in reply to message #103249
Seeing as TIB doesn't mention news at all on the front page (other than an email link), we don't have a 'big emphasis on "news"' at all.
Hmm, maybe it's just my pre-conceptions getting in the way wink Actually, maybe it's because lots of the "articles" are written in a news style - e.g. "VRPC released", "Select 4i2 Now Available"

Adam
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Richard Goodwin Message #103255, posted by rich at 15:26, 2/7/2007, in reply to message #103253
Rich
Dictator for life
So what you're saying is, when we *do* post news, you don't want it to look like news? tongue
________
RichGCheers,
Rich.
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Acorn Arcade forums: Site Comments: Poor Timing