User accounts
Register new account
Forgot password
Forum stats
List of members
Search the forums

Advanced search
Recent discussions
- WROCC Newsletter Volume 41:11 reviewed (News:)
- WROCC March 2024 meeting o... Hughes and Peter Richmond (News:1)
- Rougol March 2024 meeting on monday with Bernard Boase (News:)
- Drag'n'Drop 13i2 edition reviewed (News:)
- South-West Show 2024 talks (News:4)
- February 2024 News Summary (News:1)
- Next developer fireside chat (News:)
- DDE31d released (News:)
- South-West Show 2024 Report (News:)
- South-West Show 2024 in pictures (News:)
Latest postings RSS Feeds
RSS 2.0 | 1.0 | 0.9
Atom 0.3
Misc RDF | CDF

View on Mastodon
@www.iconbar.com@rss-parrot.net
Site Search

Article archives
Acorn Arcade forums: Site Comments: Mailing Lists Page

Mailing Lists Page
  VincceH (13:02 20/7/2009)
  rich (16:08 20/7/2009)
    VincceH (13:04 21/7/2009)

VinceH Message #110614, posted by VincceH at 13:02, 20/7/2009
VincceH
Lowering the tone since the dawn of time

A comment on the Archive mailing list led to a page on the riscos.info wiki, which in turn led me to this page on iconbar.com (and .co.uk) :

http://www.iconbar.com/comms/mailinglists/

Two points:

Firstly, the page is clearly b0rken.

Secondly, the information is out of date.

Might it not be better if the information were put on a page on riscos.info, so that it can be maintained by anyone with an account on there, and the page removed from this site - perhaps with a redirect in place?
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Richard Goodwin Message #110616, posted by rich at 16:08, 20/7/2009, in reply to message #110614
Rich
Dictator for life
The whole comms section - and indeed other sections such as sounds - are broken, they're including the wrong headers. /hardware, on the other hand, redirects to a news posting, so I'm not sure if it's worth fixing the comms section, or looking for a news posting that takes its place and fixing a redirect to that instead.
________
RichGCheers,
Rich.
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

VinceH Message #110623, posted by VincceH at 13:04, 21/7/2009, in reply to message #110616
VincceH
Lowering the tone since the dawn of time

Ah... presumably the breakage happened way back when Iconbar and AcornArcade were redesigned and merged. I vaguely recall something along the lines of old pages needing to be updated to point to news articles being mentioned before now.

The problem with that approach though is that pages like the mailing list one contain a continually changing list of resources. Or a list of continually changing resources. Or something.

Redirecting the section to a news posting means potentially losing any resources on individual pages in that section - which may or may not matter in some cases. Redirecting the page to a news posting, if one is found (or posted) with a round up of RISC OS mailing lists means just pointing it to a snapshot at any given date - eg if a 'roundup' of RISC OS related mailing lists were done today and that published as a news item; next week/month/year and it's only of historical interest or, at best, a rough guide to what lists might still be around.

For some things, that's great - comparitive reviews of currently available hardware/software of a given type/whatever - but not for that sort of resource, IMO.

That's why I suggested moving the information onto the riscos.info wiki - I think it's a better and more logical approach to publishing a list of resources of this nature. I'm happy to do it myself (if I can remember my login details) - but it was worth pointing out the problem with the page first, just in case you wanted to do anything else about it first/in preference. (As Steve Fryatt has said on the Archive mailing list, to avoid stepping on toes).

Incidentally, Steve's also pointed out that the 'Contact Us' link at the bottom of the site's pages is also broken. I've a nagging voice telling me this has come up before, but I can't see any obvious mention.
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Acorn Arcade forums: Site Comments: Mailing Lists Page