User accounts
Register new account
Forgot password
Forum stats
List of members
Search the forums

Advanced search
Recent discussions
- WROCC March 2024 meeting o... Hughes and Peter Richmond (News:1)
- Rougol March 2024 meeting on monday with Bernard Boase (News:)
- Drag'n'Drop 13i2 edition reviewed (News:)
- South-West Show 2024 talks (News:4)
- February 2024 News Summary (News:1)
- Next developer fireside chat (News:)
- DDE31d released (News:)
- South-West Show 2024 Report (News:)
- South-West Show 2024 in pictures (News:)
- Big NVMe news for the RISC OS at the South-West Show (News:)
Related articles
- What are your RISC OS new years resolutions???
- RISC OS 'Advent' Calendar 2023 - Andre Timmermans
- RISC OS 'Advent' Calendar 2023 - ROOL
- RISC OS 'Advent' Calendar 2023 - Gavin Crawley
- RISC OS 'Advent' Calendar 2023 - Peter Howkins
- RISC OS 'Advent' Calendar 2023 - Amcog Games
- RISC OS 'Advent' Calendar 2023 - Chris Hall
- RISC OS 'Advent' Calendar 2023 - Michael Grunditz
- RISC OS 'Advent' Calendar 2023 - Norman Lawrence
- RISC OS 'Advent' Calendar 2023 - ROOL
Latest postings RSS Feeds
RSS 2.0 | 1.0 | 0.9
Atom 0.3
Misc RDF | CDF

View on Mastodon
@www.iconbar.com@rss-parrot.net
Site Search

Article archives
Acorn Arcade forums: News and features: What software updates would like to see at the next show?

What software updates would like to see at the next show?

Posted by Mark Stephens on 06:44, 19/5/2017 |

One of the most positive things for me about the last round of shows (London, South-West, Wakefield) was the number of new versions of RISC OS packages released which offered new features. This was not just to support new hardware but to add functionality.

With Wakefield now behind us and a long gap until the London Show in October, now might be a good time to ponder/suggest/dream about updates you would like to see in RISC OS software you use?

Most RISC OS software is still fairly well-featured and well-designed. But there are still gaps, especially as the way people use software has changed. Here are my two suggestions to get you thinking...

'Better' IMAP support in !Messenger

IMAP works very well in !Messenger but a lot of the functionality in the actual application is not available. IMAP has become increasingly common with people spreading their email across multiple devices. I can use filters for IMAP mail in the MacOS email clients but it is not an option in !Messenger. It would be really nice to see all the features in !Messenger work on IMAP.

'Improved' Notes in !Organizer

Recent releases of !Organizer have seen some really powerful enhancements to the Diary features in the software, but no change to the Notes features which are still quit limited and clunky. Tools like !Trello now allow you to easily create draggable lists and it would be really nice to see something like this added to !Organizer.

Are these features you would also like to see? What is on your wishlist?

What software updates would like to see at the next show?
  mac9 (12:15 19/5/2017)
  arawnsley (14:00 19/5/2017)
    Gavin (16:19 21/5/2017)
    mac9 (16:24 21/5/2017)
    stewartbrookes (22:22 23/5/2017)
      mac9 (19:45 24/5/2017)

Andrew McCarthy Message #124088, posted by mac9 at 12:15, 19/5/2017
Citation, referencing and bibliography support in !TechWriter.

[Edited by mac9 at 13:15, 19/5/2017]
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Andrew Rawnsley Message #124089, posted by arawnsley at 14:00, 19/5/2017, in reply to message #124088
R-Comp chap
I seem to remember a !Citation program from "way back" which did all of that, I think in conjunction with Easi/Techwriter.

I didn't have much use for it, but am I deluding myself, or was it not up to much?
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Gavin Wraith Message #124090, posted by Gavin at 16:19, 21/5/2017, in reply to message #124089
I remember it had a pretty icon, but I never used it. Gnuplot was useful; an old version let you create drawfiles of graphs.
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Andrew McCarthy Message #124091, posted by mac9 at 16:24, 21/5/2017, in reply to message #124089
Thank you, it should be useful and it seems to have made an appearance on the !TechWriter / !EasiWriter CD at some point in time.

[Edited by mac9 at 17:27, 21/5/2017]
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Stewart Brookes Message #124093, posted by stewartbrookes at 22:22, 23/5/2017, in reply to message #124089
Well remembered! It's one of my favourite RISC OS apps and does an excellent job of exporting all sorts of reference styles, plus you can easily add your own. Part of the design was to export in a format that supports Easi/TechWriter. You can download a demo version here: http://www.chris-johnson.org.uk/ovationpro/applications.html

I think the author (Tim Dawson) may have given me permission to release it with a licence allowing for free distribution -- but I will need to check that, as it was a LONG time ago ;-)

I've got the sources for !Citation, so If anyone would like to help get it running on modern hardware (it's based on S-Base) then please do get in touch. Outta cite, Stewy
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Andrew McCarthy Message #124094, posted by mac9 at 19:45, 24/5/2017, in reply to message #124093
Well remembered! It's one of my favourite RISC OS apps and does an excellent job of exporting all sorts of reference styles, plus you can easily add your own. Part of the design was to export in a format that supports Easi/TechWriter. You can download a demo version here: http://www.chris-johnson.org.uk/ovationpro/applications.html

I think the author (Tim Dawson) may have given me permission to release it with a licence allowing for free distribution -- but I will need to check that, as it was a LONG time ago ;-)

I've got the sources for !Citation, so If anyone would like to help get it running on modern hardware (it's based on S-Base) then please do get in touch. Outta cite, Stewy
I did give !Citation a go after finding Chris Johnson's web site, but it failed on my Pi 3. I'd be happy to test a recompiled version on the Pi if that helped?
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Acorn Arcade forums: News and features: What software updates would like to see at the next show?