User accounts
Register new account
Forgot password
Forum stats
List of members
Search the forums

Advanced search
Recent discussions
- WROCC March 2024 meeting o... Hughes and Peter Richmond (News:1)
- Rougol March 2024 meeting on monday with Bernard Boase (News:)
- Drag'n'Drop 13i2 edition reviewed (News:)
- South-West Show 2024 talks (News:4)
- February 2024 News Summary (News:1)
- Next developer fireside chat (News:)
- DDE31d released (News:)
- South-West Show 2024 Report (News:)
- South-West Show 2024 in pictures (News:)
- Big NVMe news for the RISC OS at the South-West Show (News:)
Related articles
- ClockSave reviewed
- ROOL updates DDE to release 31c
- PhotoDesk updated to version 3.21
- IrisRam speeds up Iris
- Software Preservation at the ROUGOL Show
- Arculator updated to add A4 emulation and more podule support
- Avalanche VNC client get an update
- How data can be recovered from damaged discs using an oscilloscope
- RISC OS Developments updates Iris
- Acorn Preservation Team want to help archive your old data before it's too late
Latest postings RSS Feeds
RSS 2.0 | 1.0 | 0.9
Atom 0.3
Misc RDF | CDF

View on Mastodon
@www.iconbar.com@rss-parrot.net
Site Search

Article archives
Acorn Arcade forums: News and features: !OBrowse reviewed

!OBrowse reviewed

Posted by Mark Stephens on 07:52, 17/11/2017 |

!OBrowse was originally released as a 'freebie/thank-you' to anyone who had put money into RISC OS developments. It has been updated for the London Show and was also available for sale at 40 pounds (providing a simple way for people who wanted to contribute smaller amounts to the project).

!OBrowse is a front-end for the !Otter port for RISC OS. As R-Comp were very keen to stress, !Otter is not their project and is a free release which no-one has to pay for. What they have written is some code which allows you to run the software in a much more RISC OS friendly way. They are offering their front end as a way to finance their plans (which will also be available as free software to anyone). They have already made an impact by funding one of the ROOL bounties to bring RISC OS networking support up to date.

!OBrowse is not tied to any release of !Otter and does not 'add' any additional functionality. What it does do is make !Otter into a much more compliant and better behaved RISC OS application. It has a proper iconbar entry, can be run to open HTML files or a URL. It can take over all the protocols which use a browser, supports global clipboard, drag and drop, etc It does this role very well and you get a polished RISC OS application which works as you would expect and plays nicely with the rest of the system.

If you are an investor or want to support RISCOS Developments, it is a very nice to have application installed and a no brainer. If you just want to experiment with accessing the internet under RISC OS, !Otter will run perfectly well on your machine without it.

!OBrowse reviewed
  microbits (22:56 17/11/2017)
  Bucksboy (14:29 20/11/2017)
    Phlamethrower (15:58 20/11/2017)
      Bucksboy (16:56 20/11/2017)
        arawnsley (17:13 20/11/2017)
          Bucksboy (18:40 20/11/2017)
            arawnsley (23:04 20/11/2017)
              mac9 (12:20 21/11/2017)
                arawnsley (13:40 21/11/2017)
                  microbits (22:22 21/11/2017)

rob andrews Message #124210, posted by microbits at 22:56, 17/11/2017
Looked at this and thought where are the links to get this?:unhappy
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

George Greenfield Message #124214, posted by Bucksboy at 14:29, 20/11/2017, in reply to message #124210
Me too! I regularly use Otter on RISC OS and would willingly cough up the requisite 40 quid, if only someone (RO Developments?) would tell us where we can get !OBrowse....
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Jeffrey Lee Message #124215, posted by Phlamethrower at 15:58, 20/11/2017, in reply to message #124214
PhlamethrowerHot Hot Hot Hot Hot Hot Hot Hot Hot Hot Hot Hot Hot stuff

Judging by the announcement that was made on the ROOL forums, for non-investors the only way of getting hold of OBrowse was to buy a CD at the London Show, because the RISC OS Developments company isn't set up to allow them to sell things (yet?)

https://www.riscosopen.org/forum/forums/1/topics/9604
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

George Greenfield Message #124216, posted by Bucksboy at 16:56, 20/11/2017, in reply to message #124215
Fair enough, but why confine yourself to those potential ‘investors’ who happened to be at the show? Surely it’s not beyond the wit of man to host the app on ROOL downloads, or via !Packman, and thereby attract substantially greater uptake (and cash).
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Andrew Rawnsley Message #124217, posted by arawnsley at 17:13, 20/11/2017, in reply to message #124216
R-Comp chap
Or, since you know it is from R-Comp and Orpheus (the two stands where you could pick it up at the show), you could call us, or email us, and have a CD in your lap a day or two later.

We may well make it available on !Store, but for various reasons this is easier said than done, so for now, the CD is the best way to get hold of it.

The big thing is that however it is made available, I want to make it clear that what you're doing is spending 40ukp to support what we're doing with RISC OS Developments. If you're just wanting Otter then the ROOL forum downloads are free. !OBrowser is a nice addition, but I don't want people to get the wrong idea about it - hence why we preferred to offer it in person at the show.

[Edited by arawnsley at 17:18, 20/11/2017]
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

George Greenfield Message #124218, posted by Bucksboy at 18:40, 20/11/2017, in reply to message #124217
Thanks for the clarification, Andrew. FWIW I've been an Otter user since Chris Gransden did the first port two years or more ago, so I am quite familiar with what the freebie version can, and can't, do.

AFAICS your front-end adds a useful level of integration - one of the irritations of Otter as it stands is that you can't (for instance) click on an email link and open it, nor can you import or save URLs. I'm not expecting !OBrowser to do anything for Otter's speed or basic functionality. Anyway, very happy to support your joint initiative with Orpheus, so I'll be in contact by email shortly.
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Andrew Rawnsley Message #124219, posted by arawnsley at 23:04, 20/11/2017, in reply to message #124218
R-Comp chap
Thanks George. Certainly !OBrowser will provide that level of integration. I basically coded in all the RISC OS protocols I could sensibly think of into the front end, that could be then passed on to the Otter engine.

I still have one additional idea which would be very cool if it works, but I haven't yet had time to sit down and write the code to see if it works!
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Andrew McCarthy Message #124220, posted by mac9 at 12:20, 21/11/2017, in reply to message #124219
Good work Andrew. :-( My preferred option would be to download it via the !Pling store. Alternatively, I could always send you a USB stick. If that's possible?
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Andrew Rawnsley Message #124221, posted by arawnsley at 13:40, 21/11/2017, in reply to message #124220
R-Comp chap
Hi Andrew - yes, USB stick would be fine. I'd be happy to put the software on there.

I'll also have a chat with Richard to see what we can do about !Store. As I say, there were/are reasons why I haven't done that but let me have a think and a talk.
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

rob andrews Message #124222, posted by microbits at 22:22, 21/11/2017, in reply to message #124221
Hi Andrew For people like me residing down under it would be great if you can put it on the store if you can. If not can you charge my store account and send me a copy by email

[Edited by microbits at 22:23, 21/11/2017]
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Acorn Arcade forums: News and features: !OBrowse reviewed