User accounts
Register new account
Forgot password
Forum stats
List of members
Search the forums

Advanced search
Recent discussions
- WROCC Newsletter Volume 41:11 reviewed (News:)
- WROCC March 2024 meeting o... Hughes and Peter Richmond (News:1)
- Rougol March 2024 meeting on monday with Bernard Boase (News:)
- Drag'n'Drop 13i2 edition reviewed (News:)
- South-West Show 2024 talks (News:4)
- February 2024 News Summary (News:1)
- Next developer fireside chat (News:)
- DDE31d released (News:)
- South-West Show 2024 Report (News:)
- South-West Show 2024 in pictures (News:)
Latest postings RSS Feeds
RSS 2.0 | 1.0 | 0.9
Atom 0.3
Misc RDF | CDF

View on Mastodon
@www.iconbar.com@rss-parrot.net
Site Search

Article archives
Acorn Arcade forums: Programming: Paint

Paint
  filecore (16:07 29/1/2001)
  Phlamethrower (17:58 29/1/2001)
    johnstlr (08:55 30/1/2001)
      rich (09:37 30/1/2001)
        Phlamethrower (16:41 30/1/2001)
          chrisbazley (12:43 31/1/2001)
            rich (14:46 31/1/2001)

Jason Togneri Message #86342, posted by filecore at 16:07, 29/1/2001

I don't know if anyone uses the old Paint utility on the Archimedes anymore, but I still do for a lot of stuff, as Paint and Draw are very versatile. However, a problem I have encountered is this: how do I alter the palette? I don't mean the colours themselves, what I mean is that I have been using 16-colour palettes but when looking into others' work I have seen anything up to 256-colours, and a transparent colour. It is transparent which I would most like to be able to access. How would I be able to get this?

Thanks in advance for your help.

While I am here, I am currently using my old A5000 with 4MB RAM, does anyone know if there is anywhere I can get an expansion for this, as I know that about 10 years ago (!!) there were extra 4MB expansion cards available.

^[ Log in to reply ]

Jeffrey Lee Message #86343, posted by Phlamethrower at 17:58, 29/1/2001, in reply to message #86342
PhlamethrowerHot Hot Hot Hot Hot Hot Hot Hot Hot Hot Hot Hot Hot stuff

To get the transparent colour, click menu on the picture, and go to edit->mask (Or alternatively select the 'mask' box when you create the sprite).

This should add an extra colour to the palette.

However all the versions of Paint I've seen won't let you alter the 256 colour palette unhappy

As for expansions, you can get a 4-8MB upgrade, but not for the 33MHz version.

And I'm sure Tim will be overjoyed when he realises this part of the forum's mucked up again smile

^[ Log in to reply ]

Lee Johnston Message #86344, posted by johnstlr at 08:55, 30/1/2001, in reply to message #86343
However all the versions of Paint I've seen won't let you alter the 256 colour palette unhappy

IIRC on RISC OS 3.5+ you can create a 256 colour screen mode with a redefinable palette by choosing a 256 grey scale screen. Is this not the same with Paint on these machines, ie create a 256 grey scale sprite? (I wouldn't know as I've never used it)

I realise this isn't much use for RISC OS 3.1 users though (as here)

^[ Log in to reply ]

Richard Goodwin Message #86345, posted by rich at 09:37, 30/1/2001, in reply to message #86344
Rich
Dictator for life
IIRC you can drop a palette into Paint and then you get the ability to edit it.

This might not seem all that useful, but Paint has a save palette option. Switch the palette option on, save the palette, drop it back on to your open sprite edit window, and palette editing should now be available.

If you want something a bit better to edit palettes there's something on my website (http://houseofmabel.com/programs/), but as Paint seems a bit broken WRT transfer of palettes so you have to save to disc and then drag it into the paint window all the time (I kept getting errors when writing this code, and spent ages debugging it - then found that PhotoDesk has exactly the same "problem"wink.

^[ Log in to reply ]

Jeffrey Lee Message #86346, posted by Phlamethrower at 16:41, 30/1/2001, in reply to message #86345
PhlamethrowerHot Hot Hot Hot Hot Hot Hot Hot Hot Hot Hot Hot Hot stuff

IIRC on RISC OS 3.5+ you can create a 256 colour screen mode with a redefinable palette by choosing a 256 grey scale screen. Is this not the same with Paint on these machines, ie create a 256 grey scale sprite? (I wouldn't know as I've never used it)

Well I've never tried a 256 grey sprite, so I wouldn't know about that smile

^[ Log in to reply ]

Message #86347, posted by chrisbazley at 12:43, 31/1/2001, in reply to message #86346
but as Paint seems a bit broken WRT transfer of palettes so you have to save to disc and then drag it into the paint window all the time (I kept getting errors when writing this code, and spent ages debugging it - then found that PhotoDesk has exactly the same "problem"wink.

And this didn't make you suspicious?!

Was the "problem" anything to do with RAM transfer? I also initially thought that Paint was broken (partly because I had read your Help file), but it turned out in the end that it was entirely my fault. Well, that and the fact that the documentation on data transfer in the SH SWIs manual is crap.

I did write some more useful pages on data transfer, and sent them to the moderator. I don't think that he has included them yet, though. Maybe I should distribute them from my website.

^[ Log in to reply ]

Richard Goodwin Message #86348, posted by rich at 14:46, 31/1/2001, in reply to message #86347
Rich
Dictator for life
but as Paint seems a bit broken WRT transfer of palettes so you have to save to disc and then drag it into the paint window all the time (I kept getting errors when writing this code, and spent ages debugging it - then found that PhotoDesk has exactly the same "problem"wink.
And this didn't make you suspicious?!

Which part? the fact that I was following instructions on how to do it, couldn't get it to work at all, found that a major piece of commercial software gave *exactly* the same error, and that another piece of software would only transfer after giving "ADFS must be given a file name" errors? (the original palette editor I had which I lost when my computer was stolen, hence my new version)

With a three against one situation the logical conclusion was that Paint was broken, as opposed to Paint being fine and all the other three being broken in similar ways to each other. I'm not saying it's impossible that my code was broken; I'm just saying that after ages debugging it and getting nowhere I gave up all hope of being able to get it working. Hence none of my programs support RAM transfer or proper global clipboard stuff, I'm just avoiding that whole area wink

Was the "problem" anything to do with RAM transfer? I also initially thought that Paint was broken (partly because I had read your Help file), but it turned out in the end that it was entirely my fault. Well, that and the fact that the documentation on data transfer in the SH SWIs manual is crap.

I think I was using the stuff off the Acorn FTP site, although it was a year or two ago now...
I did write some more useful pages on data transfer, and sent them to the moderator. I don't think that he has included them yet, though. Maybe I should distribute them from my website.

"moderator"? Who? I haven't seen anything, so send them to my iconbar address.

^[ Log in to reply ]

Acorn Arcade forums: Programming: Paint