User accounts
Register new account
Forgot password
Forum stats
List of members
Search the forums

Advanced search
Recent discussions
- WROCC Newsletter Volume 41:11 reviewed (News:)
- WROCC March 2024 meeting o... Hughes and Peter Richmond (News:1)
- Rougol March 2024 meeting on monday with Bernard Boase (News:)
- Drag'n'Drop 13i2 edition reviewed (News:)
- South-West Show 2024 talks (News:4)
- February 2024 News Summary (News:1)
- Next developer fireside chat (News:)
- DDE31d released (News:)
- South-West Show 2024 Report (News:)
- South-West Show 2024 in pictures (News:)
Related articles
- Castle Up For Grabs
- Free copies of RISCWorld up for grabs!
- Wakey Wakey, it's show time again!
- RISC OS - 24 bits
- Rounding Up February
- eBay watch: Risc PC upgrades and Vintage Acorn
- Wakefield 2001 show report
- Risc PC RAM - CJE, Firefox and others.
- Risc PC RAM - CJE, Firefox and others
- BBC Domesday online
Latest postings RSS Feeds
RSS 2.0 | 1.0 | 0.9
Atom 0.3
Misc RDF | CDF

View on Mastodon
@www.iconbar.com@rss-parrot.net
Site Search

Article archives
Acorn Arcade forums: News and features: Phoebe cases on sale

Phoebe cases on sale

Posted by Richard Goodwin on 09:19, 12/8/2000 | , , ,

Mancunian RISC OS dealership CTA Direct are selling cases from the aborted Phoebe project, the computer Acorn designed to replace the RiscPC.

Love them or hate them, these brightly-coloured cases are proving very popular (with the first sale coming from Holland), so there's a first come, first served policy in operation. Although CTA have taken "all" of the cases - however many that may be - they are unboxed, and so it's unknown how many will be of salable quality, so when all the good ones are gone that's it.

The bright off-yellow cases were designed to attract attention, and visitors to the shop can see one of the cases in the window - although the impact has apparently been a little lessened by two years of "progress" in the computer industry, you still can't miss it.

You can contact CTA Direct by phone (01942 797777), fax (01942 797711) or email (sales@cta.u-net.com).

Phoebe cases on sale
  (09:21 12/8/2000)
  Jason Tribbeck (06:50 5/9/2000)

rich Message #88069, posted at 09:21, 12/8/2000
Unregistered user It seems a bit sad and geeky that there should be so much fuss about a small part of a computer that never saw the light of day, and which ultimately may have sealed Acorn's fate.

Obviously mine arrives next week :)
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Jason Tribbeck Message #88070, posted at 06:50, 5/9/2000, in reply to message #88069
Unregistered user Well, mine turned up yesterday. The case had a couple of minor scratches, but it looks fine.

The main problem is that it can't be used to house a motherboard without alteration (but I didn't expect it to be anyway!). A RiscPC motherboard won't fit it because it's too long, and an ATX PC won't fit it either because again it's too long. I can feel some metalwork being exercised here ;-)

Also, there wasn't a yellow eject button for a floppy drive should I decide to fit one ;-)
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Acorn Arcade forums: News and features: Phoebe cases on sale