User accounts
Register new account
Forgot password
Forum stats
List of members
Search the forums

Advanced search
Recent discussions
- WROCC Newsletter Volume 41:11 reviewed (News:)
- WROCC March 2024 meeting o... Hughes and Peter Richmond (News:1)
- Rougol March 2024 meeting on monday with Bernard Boase (News:)
- Drag'n'Drop 13i2 edition reviewed (News:)
- South-West Show 2024 talks (News:4)
- February 2024 News Summary (News:1)
- Next developer fireside chat (News:)
- DDE31d released (News:)
- South-West Show 2024 Report (News:)
- South-West Show 2024 in pictures (News:)
Latest postings RSS Feeds
RSS 2.0 | 1.0 | 0.9
Atom 0.3
Misc RDF | CDF

View on Mastodon
@www.iconbar.com@rss-parrot.net
Site Search

Article archives
Acorn Arcade forums: The Playpen: This is not the man on fire you are looking for

This is not the man on fire you are looking for
  This is a long thread. Click here to view the threaded list.

VinceH Message #102979, posted by VincceH at 09:25, 17/6/2007, in reply to message #102978
VincceH
Lowering the tone since the dawn of time

Also:

http://www.retrojunk.com/details_articles/225/
Heh...

I come in Peace rings a bell - I've probably seen it, but it obviously hasn't firmly embedded itself in my memory.

Robot Jox doesn't ring a bell - but at least one of the pictures in the article does. (The one where a robot is stood in front of a grandstand.)

Highlander II I've seen the version described, but AIUI there's a version of this movie with all references to where the immortals come from removed, and it's alledgedly much better. It strikes me, though, that it would be worse because it would lack an explanation of why any new immortals turn up to get McCleod, and why (therefore) he regains his immortality.

Return to Frogtown I think I've only seen Hell Comes to Frogtown.
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Jeffrey Lee Message #102982, posted by Phlamethrower at 09:39, 17/6/2007, in reply to message #102979
PhlamethrowerHot Hot Hot Hot Hot Hot Hot Hot Hot Hot Hot Hot Hot stuff

Robot Jox doesn't ring a bell - but at least one of the pictures in the article does. (The one where a robot is stood in front of a grandstand.)
I'm fairly certain I've seen Robot Jox, judging by my memories and the descriptions that I've found of it. It seemed OK... but I did see it about 15 years ago, when I suspect my standards were quite different tongue
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

VinceH Message #103184, posted by VincceH at 18:43, 28/6/2007, in reply to message #102834
VincceH

Deathrace 2000
*makes notes*
Iconbar went down just in time to prevent me posting in this thread that Deathrace 2000 is on ITV4 on 25th June at 11:50 pm, and 26th June at 11:40pm.
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Jeffrey Lee Message #103186, posted by Phlamethrower at 18:56, 28/6/2007, in reply to message #103184

Poop!

Oh well, I'll just blame ITV for being annoying cnuts and not allowing their programme listings to be used on bleb.org.
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Jeffrey Lee Message #103240, posted by Phlamethrower at 21:33, 1/7/2007, in reply to message #103186

...and tonight, I managed to finally watch Natural City. Certainly doesn't fit into the standard sci-fi action movie mould - probably more of a sci-fi action tragedy, if such a thing is possible. It may take a little while for you to get into it, but I'd say it's worth a watch, if just for the fact that it dares to be different. There's at least one good plot twist, too. I would say more, but I'm not entirely sure that it's all sunk in yet.

Also, no reset buttons.Yay!
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Jeffrey Lee Message #103333, posted by Phlamethrower at 19:36, 5/7/2007, in reply to message #103184

Deathrace 2000
*makes notes*
Iconbar went down just in time to prevent me posting in this thread that Deathrace 2000 is on ITV4 on 25th June at 11:50 pm, and 26th June at 11:40pm.
In similar ultra-violent sporting event news, the rollerball remake is on tonight at 11:10 on Five US. I suspect it's crap, but aren't sure whether that makes me want to watch it more or less tongue
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

VinceH Message #103335, posted by VincceH at 19:53, 5/7/2007, in reply to message #103333
VincceH

In similar ultra-violent sporting event news, the rollerball remake is on tonight at 11:10 on Five US.
Well spotted. I haven't seen that yet. Think I might watch it.

I suspect it's crap, but aren't sure whether that makes me want to watch it more or less tongue
I suspect it probably is - especially if compared with the original, (as is usual in these matters) but I've only ever seen it once, and that was probably somewhere between 60% and 75% of my life ago.

I might be mis-remembering (or, in fact, remembering something from a strip in a comic like 2000AD) but I have a recollection of a bunch of people on a bus, and blast shields and shit like that lowering over the windows.

And that, in turn, makes me think of something else that IIRC was missing from your list: Damnation Ally.
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Jeffrey Lee Message #103366, posted by Phlamethrower at 18:50, 6/7/2007, in reply to message #103335

In similar ultra-violent sporting event news, the rollerball remake is on tonight at 11:10 on Five US.
Well spotted. I haven't seen that yet. Think I might watch it.
I forgot it was on, and thus missed the first half hour. So didn't bother trying to watch the rest. Let me know if it was(n't) any good, and I might (not) try watching it again if they put it on again. Short Circuit has been on twice in the last month or two, so they're not against putting repeats of films on (especially since Rollerball is probably a premiere).

And speaking of Short Circuit, at 22:00 tomorrow, (after the 20:00 Short Circuit showing) is Starship Troopers 2, again on Five US. And if my sources are correct, Troopers 2 has a suckage level significant enough for me to be interested in watching it. Which means it will get recorded and potentially watched (if not, it'll just sit and rust on my HD, like so many other films recorded on a whim).

but I've only ever seen it once, and that was probably somewhere between 60% and 75% of my life ago.
Likewise.

I might be mis-remembering (or, in fact, remembering something from a strip in a comic like 2000AD) but I have a recollection of a bunch of people on a bus, and blast shields and shit like that lowering over the windows.
I don't remember that. Rollerball is just a load of motorcycles inside a bowl-shaped arena, trying to score goals using a ball. And probably a few spikes and baseball bats. Not to mention the traps built into the arena, either. But then again, I don't really remember that much else about the film outside the arena, so it's possible the film contains both. Was it the case that they were being kept as prisoners and forced to play the game? Or am I just confusing that with a random Star Trek plot?

And that, in turn, makes me think of something else that IIRC was missing from your list: Damnation Ally.
*checks IMDB*

I defintely looked that one up, but obviously it didn't fit my stringent criteria tongue
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Jeffrey Lee Message #103390, posted by Phlamethrower at 22:44, 7/7/2007, in reply to message #103366

I hereby nominate Starship Troopers 2 for the "king of cliche" and "king of cheese" awards.

However, it did remind me that the antlions in HL2 are basically ripoffs of the bugs in Starship Troopers.
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

VinceH Message #103391, posted by VincceH at 23:00, 7/7/2007, in reply to message #103366
VincceH

[Rollerball]

I forgot it was on, and thus missed the first half hour. So didn't bother trying to watch the rest. Let me know if it was(n't) any good, and I might (not) try watching it again if they put it on again.
Mainly, I thought it was dull. I recorded the last 20 or so minutes because I was very tired - I haven't bothered watching that last bit yet.

at 22:00 tomorrow, (after the 20:00 Short Circuit showing) is Starship Troopers 2, again on Five US.
I forgot to watch that. indiff

I don't remember that. Rollerball is just a load of motorcycles inside a bowl-shaped arena, trying to score goals using a ball. And probably a few spikes and baseball bats. Not to mention the traps built into the arena, either. But then again, I don't really remember that much else about the film outside the arena, so it's possible the film contains both. Was it the case that they were being kept as prisoners and forced to play the game?
I think they were on the coach willingly but that the blast shields etc came as a surprise to them.

Or am I just confusing that with a random Star Trek plot?
Easily done. Most Star Trek plots seem quite random. tongue

*checks IMDB*

I defintely looked that one up, but obviously it didn't fit my stringent criteria tongue
It was a good idea not done very well.
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Jeffrey Lee Message #103392, posted by Phlamethrower at 23:45, 7/7/2007, in reply to message #103391

at 22:00 tomorrow, (after the 20:00 Short Circuit showing) is Starship Troopers 2, again on Five US.
I forgot to watch that. indiff
Don't worry - it wasn't very/any good tongue

It was more aliens-ish than the first film, seeing as the entire thing was about a small squad finding shelter in an abandoned outpost until they could get rescued. So no big fancy CGI spaceships (except at the start), or boot camp, or much of the recruitment videos. Just a few people wandering around some dark corridors pretending that they're actors.

The special effects were good (apart from the rather pathetic neck slicing scene), but that's about it. Well, until the combination of cliche+cheese briefly transforms the film into a horror comedy gore fest, which happens sometime within the last 45 minutes.
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Jeffrey Lee Message #103502, posted by Phlamethrower at 20:13, 13/7/2007, in reply to message #103392

This is not the man on fire you are looking for
Woohoo!

BBC 1: Saturday, July 14 2007 (22:45 - 01:00)
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Tony Haines Message #103518, posted by Loris at 10:23, 15/7/2007, in reply to message #103502
madbanHa ha, me mine, mwahahahaha
Was that the man on fire you were looking for?

He never actually caught fire, did he?
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Jeffrey Lee Message #103530, posted by Phlamethrower at 22:05, 15/7/2007, in reply to message #103518

I haven't actually watched it yet to check shock
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Jeffrey Lee Message #103558, posted by Phlamethrower at 21:29, 19/7/2007, in reply to message #103530

Mad Max 3 is on at 11:00. Yay! (Or on now, if, like me, you didn't notice that it was on at 10:00)

*begins emergency procedures to get enough free disc space to be able to record it*
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

VinceH Message #103593, posted by VincceH at 22:51, 22/7/2007, in reply to message #103558
VincceH

Not on your list, and not one I've heard of before, but I've just spotted on The Sci Fi Channel tonight:

Shepherd - probably rubbish, but I'm recording it anyway.
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Jeffrey Lee Message #104217, posted by Phlamethrower at 21:27, 1/9/2007, in reply to message #103593

More confusion: Apparently around November last year, Film Four showed Deep Red. Except that I seem to have recorded Deep Red by mistake. So either their listings were wrong again or I didn't pay enough attention to spot that I was recording the wrong film. Queue 2 hours of confusion wondering when the alien nanotechnology was going to come into the film tongue
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

VinceH Message #104219, posted by VincceH at 14:08, 2/9/2007, in reply to message #104217
VincceH

The one you thought it was isn't one I'd go to the effort of recording anyway, TBH. The one it actually was looks more interesting, being a Dario Argento horror.
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Jeffrey Lee Message #104246, posted by Phlamethrower at 19:27, 3/9/2007, in reply to message #104219

More dodgy film news:

Supernatural horror about a high-school hero who returns from the dead to take revenge on the psychotic drag racer who killed him. The murdered boy is able to transform himself into a hi-tech spirit in black leathers who sets out to do battle with a gang of desert-based car thieves led by the man who destroyed him.

This is surely the best film ever.
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

VinceH Message #104249, posted by VincceH at 19:50, 3/9/2007, in reply to message #104246
VincceH

Without following the link... The Wraith?

Saw it when it first appeared on video - early-mid 80s?

Naff? You betcha!

I take it it's on TV soon, then?
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Jeffrey Lee Message #104250, posted by Phlamethrower at 19:56, 3/9/2007, in reply to message #104249

Yes, yes, yes, and 11:45 tonight, BBC 1.
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Jason Togneri Message #104329, posted by filecore at 11:21, 7/9/2007, in reply to message #103390

However, it did remind me that the antlions in HL2 are basically ripoffs of the bugs in Starship Troopers.
Yes, I had the very same thought myself... ages ago I switched on invisibility and disabled AI and set up a Starship Troopers-type of bugs vs soldiers scenario, then turned the AI back on again. It was fun to watch the AI fighting itself.
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Jeffrey Lee Message #104460, posted by Phlamethrower at 19:22, 17/9/2007, in reply to message #104329

Not-dodgy film news: Mad Max 1 tonight at 23:05 on Five. Hurrah!
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

VinceH Message #104466, posted by VincceH at 21:49, 17/9/2007, in reply to message #104460
VincceH

Haven't the Mad Max films only just been shown approximately seventeen and a half times?

I have it on deeveedee, anyway.
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Jeffrey Lee Message #104467, posted by Phlamethrower at 21:57, 17/9/2007, in reply to message #104466

Haven't the Mad Max films only just been shown approximately seventeen and a half times?
I don't think they've all been on recently.

I haven't - Mad Max 1 is the only one I haven't got recorded. And the convenient 3-DVD box set apparently suffers heavily from over-americanisation, whereas the versions of the films I've recorded off TV (presumably) don't.
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

VinceH Message #104483, posted by VincceH at 12:57, 20/9/2007, in reply to message #104467
VincceH

I don't think they've all been on recently.
I've just checked - they were on TCM (ie not terrestrial) on three consecutive nights at the start of the month (3rd, 4th, 5th). They were probably on in August as well, but my Digiguide listing only goes back to the beginning of this month.

So if you don't have that channel then, for all intents, they haven't been shown. smile

Except that they have. You just couldn't see them. tongue

I haven't - Mad Max 1 is the only one I haven't got recorded. And the convenient 3-DVD box set apparently suffers heavily from over-americanisation, whereas the versions of the films I've recorded off TV (presumably) don't.
IIRC the DVD I have of MM1 states it includes the "original Australian soundtrack" or words to that effect which might or might not be related to that Overpuddlianisation.

All of which reminds me, I recorded some shit called Shepherd a while back (mentioned further up the thread) - I still haven't watched that.
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

VinceH Message #104514, posted by VincceH at 22:49, 20/9/2007, in reply to message #104483
VincceH

All of which reminds me, I recorded some shit called Shepherd a while back (mentioned further up the thread) - I still haven't watched that.
I have now. It was shit.

Not shit in a good way.

Just shit.
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Jeffrey Lee Message #104636, posted by Phlamethrower at 21:59, 1/10/2007, in reply to message #103184

Deathrace 2000
*makes notes*
I have just discovered that it is on ITV4 today at 22:00. I.e. it's now half-way through. Wah!

But while checking the listings to see if it's on again in the near future, I've discovered that Jericho is on Wednesdays and Thursdays (and possibly other days), which I'm sure Rich (or someone) recommended to me at some point, even though I can't find any mention of it. But anyway, post apocalyptic + free = increased chance of watching.

[Edited by Phlamethrower at 23:00, 1/10/2007]
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

VinceH Message #104640, posted by VincceH at 14:15, 2/10/2007, in reply to message #104636
VincceH

Deathrace 2000
I didn't notice it, but looking now it was on at 1:40am on the 1st, and 10pm the same day. It isn't showing up any more in my Digiguide listings.

Jericho
Oh yeah - I missed that the last time around, but wanted to see it.

It's on 8pm tomorrow, then repeated 9pm Thursday, 8pm Sunday and 8pm next Tuesday.

Episode 2 is on 8pm next Wednesday, not repeated 9pm next Thursday, then is repeated 8pm on Sunday and Tuesday.

According to digiguide, anyway.
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Richard Goodwin Message #104642, posted by rich at 16:32, 2/10/2007, in reply to message #104640
Rich
Dictator for life
Yes, I recommend Jericho, not because it's the best thing on TV - it isn't - but because it's mildly diverting for both the story on-screen, and off it. For instance, the black guy who may or may not be some kind of policeman and talks in an American Southern accent was strangely familiar... naw, it couldn't be that guy from Doctor Who and Snatch and 24 Hour Party People, could it? Plus, the whole being cancelled and then semi-un-cancelled
________
RichGCheers,
Rich.
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Pages (4): |< < 2 > >|

Acorn Arcade forums: The Playpen: This is not the man on fire you are looking for