Forgot password
Forum stats
List of members
Search the forums

Advanced search
Recent discussions
- Git client updated to 0.07 (News:2)
- Archive Edition 27:1 reviewed (News:)
- Rougol April 2024 meeting on monday is Anniversary time (News:1)
- WROCC April 2024 meeting o...changes to our phone lines (News:1)
- April developer 'fireside' chat is on saturday night (News:)
- March 2024 News Summary (News:4)
- WROCC Newsletter Volume 41:11 reviewed (News:)
- WROCC March 2024 meeting o... Hughes and Peter Richmond (News:1)
- Rougol March 2024 meeting on monday with Bernard Boase (News:)
- Drag'n'Drop 13i2 edition reviewed (News:)
Latest postings RSS Feeds
RSS 2.0 | 1.0 | 0.9
Atom 0.3
Misc RDF | CDF

View on Mastodon
@www.iconbar.com@rss-parrot.net
Site Search

Article archives
Acorn Arcade forums: Games: Dwarf Fortress

Dwarf Fortress
  This is a long thread. Click here to view the threaded list.

Jeffrey Lee Message #108516, posted by Phlamethrower at 22:50, 10/10/2008, in reply to message #108512
PhlamethrowerHot Hot Hot Hot Hot Hot Hot Hot Hot Hot Hot Hot Hot stuff

For my newer, more ambitious fort, cast your eyes this way.
That is awesome. Let us know how it goes!
"Migrants refused to journey to such a dangerous fortress this season"

Is that the kind of update you were hoping for? wink
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Jeffrey Lee Message #108580, posted by Phlamethrower at 14:12, 21/10/2008, in reply to message #108516

I've started digging out rooms now.

http://mkv25.net/dfma/map-3774-blockaderhyming

The project's still probably about 5-10 years away from completion. And since the game is currently running at ~10fps (it was around 20 before I designated all the obsidian stones to be dumped) it could take a long time to get there unhappy

Luckily the game doesn't need constant monitoring (except when the crack of despair flooded and almost killed the miners) so I've started watching TV/film at the same time, while keeping an eye on the bottom of the window to spot the important red/yellow announcements.
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Jeffrey Lee Message #110067, posted by Phlamethrower at 15:49, 15/5/2009, in reply to message #108580

Since you dug up the Zaurus thread, I thought I might as well dig up this thread.

I've recently started playing Dwarf Fortress again. Have you played at all recently? Any updates on the status of your fort?

Blockadethyming has been left untouched since the failed attempt at submerging it. Lesson learned: Build the city on flat ground or else it's a complete pain to try and sink the walls. Also a bug prevents me from using the muddied obsidian as farmland, so the farm plots that I've got on the upper layers of one of the buildings is completely useless. I've got plans to try building a second underwater city in the future, but for that one I think I'll try draining the ocean into a bottomless pit rather than mess around with magma all the time.

Treatychances is the fort that I've been playing the most since restarting, a nice desert fort. I have a feeling the earlier years would have been a bit more interesting if I'd realise that I'd been playing with invasions turned off (see below). Hopefully I'll have a siege soon to keep things interesting, otherwise it looks like the fort will just keep going now that the booze supply problem has been sorted out.

Whipclutch is the other one that I've played a bit of since starting again. Originally conceived as something to play alongside Blockaderhyming, it grew to become quite a nice fort, what with the heavily-defended entraceway and the constant threat of undead camels, plus the promise of HFS somewhere in the mountain. Except that the level was too big for any siege to reach the front gate and it started to give me Nemesis Unit Load Failed errors, even if I tried turning off various things like invasions (since it seemed to happen at around the time I'd expect a siege to occur). So I gave up on it, until recently when I decided I might as well try an abandon & reclaim. It seems to have worked so far, although I should have probably brought some food with the 70-strong reclaim squad since all the food stores seem to have vanished. Plus it still runs dog slow due to the size of the level and the hundreds of animal corpses rotting in the hallways. So I may just give up and make a new fort on a more sensibly-sized map, recreating the fortified entranceway there, so that I can finally test it out on a full 80-unit goblin siege (Yay! magma shower)
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Jeffrey Lee Message #110106, posted by Phlamethrower at 01:38, 21/5/2009, in reply to message #110067

It sure feels good to take out a 60-strong goblin seige using just 5 champion wrestlers and 3 rookie marksdwarves. (OK, so some of the fortress guard got involved too, and some of the visiting merchants... but disregarding the 3-4 dwarves that died to an unrelated beserk woodcrafter, the only dwarven loss during the seige was one farmer who wandered outside just before the largest goblin group arrived)
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

richard cheng Message #110450, posted by richcheng at 15:55, 2/7/2009, in reply to message #110106

Been meaning to reply to this for ages. I haven't really played Dwarf Fortress since I made those screenshots. I'd still like to, but I haven't had much free time recently, and DF is a serious time suck.

Enjoyed browsing your fortresses, though. Especially like the Doomsday device!
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Jeffrey Lee Message #110451, posted by Phlamethrower at 17:00, 2/7/2009, in reply to message #110450

But there's always time for dwarf fortress!

Recently I've been playing Keyhandle, a nice fort in a 2x2 area with a magma pipe & HFS. Except the HFS weren't as Fun as they could be, so no I've got a rather boring fort with 40 or so Adamantine-clad champions. And my half-hearted attempt to flood the fortress with magma is failing because it's all draining into the HFS pit. In fact, since I can't be bothered waiting for the magma to drain enough to send someone down there to cover up the bit, I might try collapsing something ontop of it to see if I can block it up.

Then there's the (currently) much more interesting Ceilingact, my first game with the orc mod, and my first fort on/in a glacier. As you can see, I'm going to try flooding the surface with magma, to (a) burn a lot of orcs, and (b) see what happens. This will be an especially notable experiment because the magma will be dumped from a location almost directly ontop of the fort entrance/barracks, which means that the fort will almost certainly become filled with magma/water/obsidian/ice. While playing I've also had a couple of visits from dragons, but none of them were particularly interesting because the dragons refused to try burning anything while outside (and one of them almost froze to death on its way to the fort!)

I haven't played with the whipclutch-reclaim any more. I have a feeling I'll just give up on it, and my next fort will be a proper replacement (similar evil landscape, smaller location, lots of orcs, and some hopefully-Fun HFS)
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Pages (2): |< < 2

Acorn Arcade forums: Games: Dwarf Fortress