Forgot password
Forum stats
List of members
Search the forums

Advanced search
Recent discussions
- Git client updated to 0.07 (News:2)
- Archive Edition 27:1 reviewed (News:)
- Rougol April 2024 meeting on monday is Anniversary time (News:1)
- WROCC April 2024 meeting o...changes to our phone lines (News:1)
- April developer 'fireside' chat is on saturday night (News:)
- March 2024 News Summary (News:4)
- WROCC Newsletter Volume 41:11 reviewed (News:)
- WROCC March 2024 meeting o... Hughes and Peter Richmond (News:1)
- Rougol March 2024 meeting on monday with Bernard Boase (News:)
- Drag'n'Drop 13i2 edition reviewed (News:)
Latest postings RSS Feeds
RSS 2.0 | 1.0 | 0.9
Atom 0.3
Misc RDF | CDF

View on Mastodon
@www.iconbar.com@rss-parrot.net
Site Search

Article archives
Acorn Arcade forums: Games: Starship QD - Dev Preview

Starship QD - Dev Preview
  danieldownes (19:19 20/7/2009)
  tribbles (21:35 20/7/2009)
    danieldownes (05:57 21/7/2009)
      tribbles (23:51 21/7/2009)
        tribbles (00:22 21/10/2009)
          Phlamethrower (00:46 21/10/2009)

Daniel Downes Message #110619, posted by danieldownes at 19:19, 20/7/2009
Hi,

I'm working on a game that resembles a title released by AcornSoft many years ago.

I read (on AA) that someone else tried to remake the game (titled ArcCommend..u could do a search for it in the fourms) but since had to remove it as the original author got a bit annoyed and was passing hints of copywrite infringement.

I'm hoping I wont face similar problems; I'm simply making a game with game-play that might be of similar nature to that original title, but in no way was any of the content copied, nor do I have any of the sourcecode to the original game.

I will be deviating from the original far more in later developments (than what you see in the video; link below), adding for example defensive missions.

On another note I'm doing it as an educational exercise to learn about how to do 3D in Flash. I thought this game-style was a simple and effective way to do this.

There's a video preview here:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6v9XczfVvnc

...still pretty early stuff, but still worth a quick look.

I'll be sure to post a playable link once the game is ready smile

Cheers, and please comment.

Daniel.

[Edited by danieldownes at 05:50, 21/7/2009]
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Jason Tribbeck Message #110621, posted by tribbles at 21:35, 20/7/2009, in reply to message #110619
tribbles
Captain Helix

Well, that "someone else" was me.

I believe that you should be okay with it - the author claimed copyright on the game, which, from what I've been reading, is only on the game code, graphics and sound. He cannot have a claim to the idea of the game.

I also did not copy any of the graphics, code and sound, but it had a very similar layout and similar keys (I had to change a couple due to keyboard key clashes when multiple keys were pressed).

Yours looks pretty interesting - it plays very similarly to another game I did called "ACED" (http://www.tribbeck.com/software/aced/ - there's a link to the copyright bit at the top if you get challenged).

Can you crash into the planet?
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Daniel Downes Message #110622, posted by danieldownes at 05:57, 21/7/2009, in reply to message #110621
Hi Jason, yes it probably would have been worthy of me to actually take the time to write your name.

I looked at ACED yesterday but couldn't figure out how to get it to run on a windows system.. Can you provide Win32 binaries?

At the moment the player and enemies go straight through the planet (and each other!). I've still got to do the collision and collision avoidance coding.

If you're interested to help out on this project then that would be really great; I'm still not satisfied with the AI, for instance..

Best Wishes,
Daniel.
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Jason Tribbeck Message #110624, posted by tribbles at 23:51, 21/7/2009, in reply to message #110622
tribbles
Captain Helix

Unfortunately the Windows version was really just very early development when it was easier for me to use my laptop at the time - I then shifted it all over to RISC OS.

I now now longer have the laptop available to do Windows development at all - but can do MacOS...

I don't know - the cheek of asking for a Windows version here smile

I may have the capability of doing it though - it does depend rather a lot on how much SDL code remained in the final versions, and how much was pure ARM/C.
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Jason Tribbeck Message #111676, posted by tribbles at 00:22, 21/10/2009, in reply to message #110624
tribbles
Captain Helix

Not sure how you're getting on, but you may want to keep an eye on a project I've been working on for the past couple of months (it was in the early planning stages when you first mentioned your work).

http://www.tribbeck.com/electronics/armcommand/

I'll be releasing the source code for this under GPL, which includes the AI.
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Jeffrey Lee Message #111677, posted by Phlamethrower at 00:46, 21/10/2009, in reply to message #111676
PhlamethrowerHot Hot Hot Hot Hot Hot Hot Hot Hot Hot Hot Hot Hot stuff

Nice!
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Acorn Arcade forums: Games: Starship QD - Dev Preview