Register new account
Forgot password
Forum stats
List of members
Search the forums

Advanced search
Recent discussions
- R-Comp releases Genealogy v2 (News:)
- Will we see 5.30 released at Wakefield show? (News:1)
- Sine Nomine updates RiscOSM and Impact (News:)
- Netfetch version 5.55 released (News:)
- Prizes for Wakefield Show announced (News:)
- Heretic update from R-Comp (News:)
- Wakefield Show 2024 is next Saturday (News:)
- Git client updated to 0.07 (News:2)
- Archive Edition 27:1 reviewed (News:)
- Rougol April 2024 meeting on monday is Anniversary time (News:1)
Latest postings RSS Feeds
RSS 2.0 | 1.0 | 0.9
Atom 0.3
Misc RDF | CDF

View on Mastodon
@www.iconbar.com@rss-parrot.net
Site Search

Article archives
Acorn Arcade forums: The Playpen: Holidays

Holidays
  andrew (13:16 19/1/2011)
  qUE (14:57 19/1/2011)
    andrew (13:31 20/1/2011)
      VincceH (15:51 20/1/2011)
        swirlythingy (21:29 20/1/2011)
          VincceH (22:55 20/1/2011)
      qUE (17:03 20/1/2011)
        filecore (17:23 20/1/2011)
          qUE (19:17 20/1/2011)
            VincceH (22:50 20/1/2011)
              qUE (23:48 20/1/2011)
                trevj (06:35 21/1/2011)
                VincceH (09:44 21/1/2011)
                  trevj (11:06 21/1/2011)
                    filecore (12:11 21/1/2011)
                      trevj (14:23 21/1/2011)

Andrew Message #116238, posted by andrew at 13:16, 19/1/2011
HandbagHandbag Boi
What's the best holiday you've been on?
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

qUE Message #116241, posted by qUE at 14:57, 19/1/2011, in reply to message #116238
qUE

What's the best holiday you've been on?
One of the best ones has to be the 10th Nature One Festival. We went to that in Hahn then moved onto Frankfurt afterwards, the weather was amazing and everything seemed to go reasonably smoothly (even if I did get mild sun stroke from drinking to much in the sun smile

Saying that, I can't say I've ever had a nightmare holiday. Flying back from Turkey with one engine out in a lightening storm was pretty hairy, everyone was kissing the ground after we landed.

Prague is reasonable, but book accomidation before getting there, train tickets are franked on the platform esculators on the way in. Alcopops and food are F. cheap and most Art houses are north of the river. Although it is a bit touristy, sitting and drinking Lager at under 20p a half litre in the Sun is quite nice. And food is great if you like european food (i.e saurkraut, dumplings, smoked meats, etc.)

Berlin is quirky, fantastic place if you like Techno (Tresor) and like Frankfurt there are places that do amazing food. Home of CCC!

I'd avoid Spain in the Summer tbh, unless you're going for a tan. Locals are grouchy, too many tourists in built up areas (forget museums and exhibitions unless you like queuing) and the Sun is evil.

Oh and definitely avoid having a holiday collide with g/f time of the month! F. nightmare at the best of times :S
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Andrew Message #116244, posted by andrew at 13:31, 20/1/2011, in reply to message #116241
HandbagHandbag Boi
That's interesting, thanks. What about the UK though?
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

VinceH Message #116245, posted by VincceH at 15:51, 20/1/2011, in reply to message #116244
VincceH
Lowering the tone since the dawn of time

To answer the original question, the best holiday I've ever had was in February 2008, when I went to a little place in the Italian Alps called Fuipiano Valle Imagna. Each day, I set out from the hotel and walked (further) up into the mountains and mostly didn't see another soul. Bliss.

As for the UK, most of my holidays here have been in the Lake District, renting a place for the week. The ones I've enjoyed less were when I stayed in areas with too many people - such as Bowness on Windermere. Out in the sticks with no sign of (human) life is much, much better.

For weekends away, rather than full holidays, I've tended more to head down towards Cornwall - with similar opinions; more people = worse, less people = better.

But YMMV, obviously.
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

qUE Message #116246, posted by qUE at 17:03, 20/1/2011, in reply to message #116244
qUE

Ah, I've mainly just been sightseeing in UK. Well, tbh, we're pretty spoilt in the south west for places to go by train for a day out.
Trouble with staying anywhere in the UK is that it's so f. expensive compared to Europe. It's pretty rediculous really, I can fly, stay and go out in another country for less than just staying in a hotel here unhappy

[Edited by qUE at 17:04, 20/1/2011]
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Jason Togneri Message #116247, posted by filecore at 17:23, 20/1/2011, in reply to message #116246

Or go hiking and camping. In the UK it's mostly either private estate, private farm land, council refuse tip, or scummy urban zone. Elsewhere they have unrestricted access to the land (in Finland it's called the Everyman's Right To Access) and you can basically walk or camp anywhere, so long as it's not within 200m of a private house or something similar, and there are of course common sense restrictions on how and where you can set fires. But at least you have the freedom to go places without fear of "Ger orf moi land" and a shotgun waved under your nose.
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

qUE Message #116248, posted by qUE at 19:17, 20/1/2011, in reply to message #116247
qUE

Or go hiking and camping. In the UK it's mostly either private estate, private farm land, council refuse tip, or scummy urban zone. Elsewhere they have unrestricted access to the land (in Finland it's called the Everyman's Right To Access) and you can basically walk or camp anywhere, so long as it's not within 200m of a private house or something similar, and there are of course common sense restrictions on how and where you can set fires. But at least you have the freedom to go places without fear of "Ger orf moi land" and a shotgun waved under your nose.
Only time I've been chased by a farmer was for trying to nick dumped tractor innertubes for the swimming pool (I'm not from a wealthy family before you get that impression wink. In all fairness I didn't get caught, but the farmer caught up with mates I was with and gave them a lift back home anyway. Probably thought we were up to much worse stuff.

Personally other than that you shouldn't have a problem camping where you want in Somerset as long as you get permission. It mainly cus' you could camp somewhere the farmer may move some heffers or a bull into that field, and trust me, you don't want to get stampeded or rundown by bulls.

They'd only get pissy if you turned up with a caravan, 20 kids and 5 dogs to stay for an indefinite amount of time. Or in my folks case, people trying to cross the land with a load of hounds and sat on a horse chasing foxes, those pompous types can royally f. off!

[Edited by qUE at 19:21, 20/1/2011]
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Martin Bazley Message #116249, posted by swirlythingy at 21:29, 20/1/2011, in reply to message #116245

Each day, I set out from the hotel and walked (further) up into the mountains and mostly didn't see another soul. Bliss.

The ones I've enjoyed less were when I stayed in areas with too many people - such as Bowness on Windermere. Out in the sticks with no sign of (human) life is much, much better.

more people = worse, less people = better.
...So, basically, you hate people?

(If it comes to that, I loathe them, but I suppose someone has to be there to take the money when I buy a packet of crisps at the corner shop, which is my idea of a perfect holiday.)
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

VinceH Message #116250, posted by VincceH at 22:50, 20/1/2011, in reply to message #116248
VincceH

Personally other than that you shouldn't have a problem camping where you want in Somerset as long as you get permission. It mainly cus' you could camp somewhere the farmer may move some heffers or a bull into that field, and trust me, you don't want to get stampeded or rundown by bulls.
Indeed.

And FWIW, wild camping is permitted on a huge chunk of Dartmoor. There are a few basic rules, such as that you must be at least 100 yards (IIRC) from the nearest road, and that you don't camp in the same place for more than a couple of nights.

In the Lake District, it's mostly (? there may be some areas like Dartmoor, but I don't know) not permitted, but in general, provided you're out of the way nobody bats an eyelid.

In the Brecons, again, it's mostly not allowed - but there are a couple of places where it is. That makes them more like campsites, though, just without the usual facilities.

They'd only get pissy if you turned up with a caravan, 20 kids and 5 dogs to stay for an indefinite amount of time.
Are you sure you aren't confusing 'camping' with 'being a traveller' ? wink
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

VinceH Message #116251, posted by VincceH at 22:55, 20/1/2011, in reply to message #116249
VincceH

...So, basically, you hate people?
Pretty much, yes.

Obviously, people are useful (such as your buying a packet of crisps example) so I put up with them - and even get along with them - for that reason. However, I do find life is so much better when I get to avoid them for a while.
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

qUE Message #116252, posted by qUE at 23:48, 20/1/2011, in reply to message #116250
qUE

Indeed.

And FWIW, wild camping is permitted on a huge chunk of Dartmoor. There are a few basic rules, such as that you must be at least 100 yards (IIRC) from the nearest road, and that you don't camp in the same place for more than a couple of nights.

In the Lake District, it's mostly (? there may be some areas like Dartmoor, but I don't know) not permitted, but in general, provided you're out of the way nobody bats an eyelid.

In the Brecons, again, it's mostly not allowed - but there are a couple of places where it is. That makes them more like campsites, though, just without the usual facilities.

They'd only get pissy if you turned up with a caravan, 20 kids and 5 dogs to stay for an indefinite amount of time.
Hah, this first (if it ever gets organised tongue ) ROS Brisol meeting will be interesting, I'm like Parappa the Rappa big grin
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Trevor Johnson Message #116253, posted by trevj at 06:35, 21/1/2011, in reply to message #116252
Hah, this first (if it ever gets organised tongue ) ROS Brisol meeting will be interesting, I'm like Parappa the Rappa big grin
What do you mean, "If it ever gets organised"?
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

VinceH Message #116254, posted by VincceH at 09:44, 21/1/2011, in reply to message #116252
VincceH

Parappa the Rappa big grin
I had to google that. Only the Japanese could come up with something quite so, err... that!
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Trevor Johnson Message #116255, posted by trevj at 11:06, 21/1/2011, in reply to message #116254
Parappa the Rappa big grin
I had to google that. Only the Japanese could come up with something quite so, err... that!
Me too. Perhaps we can all adopt pseudonyms!
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Jason Togneri Message #116257, posted by filecore at 12:11, 21/1/2011, in reply to message #116255

I want to be Colonel Noodle!

My secondary choices were Instructor Mooselini, Prince Fleaswallow, Cheap Cheap the Cooking Chicken, Chief Puddle, Teriyaki Yoko, Hairdreser Octopus... oh dear, so many excellent options to choose between.
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Trevor Johnson Message #116260, posted by trevj at 14:23, 21/1/2011, in reply to message #116257
I want to be Colonel Noodle!
How about changing your URL to http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_PaRappa_the_Rapper_characters#Colonel_Noodle?
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Acorn Arcade forums: The Playpen: Holidays