User accounts
Register new account
Forgot password
Forum stats
List of members
Search the forums

Advanced search
Recent discussions
- WROCC Newsletter Volume 41:11 reviewed (News:)
- WROCC March 2024 meeting o... Hughes and Peter Richmond (News:1)
- Rougol March 2024 meeting on monday with Bernard Boase (News:)
- Drag'n'Drop 13i2 edition reviewed (News:)
- South-West Show 2024 talks (News:4)
- February 2024 News Summary (News:1)
- Next developer fireside chat (News:)
- DDE31d released (News:)
- South-West Show 2024 Report (News:)
- South-West Show 2024 in pictures (News:)
Latest postings RSS Feeds
RSS 2.0 | 1.0 | 0.9
Atom 0.3
Misc RDF | CDF

View on Mastodon
@www.iconbar.com@rss-parrot.net
Site Search

Article archives
Acorn Arcade forums: General: Sharing WIndows Folders

Sharing WIndows Folders
  partis (21:06 1/2/2022)
  nunfetishist (09:21 2/2/2022)
  mavison (09:55 2/2/2022)

Gary Partis Message #125279, posted by partis at 21:06, 1/2/2022
Hi All

After a number of years, I have tried using !LanMan98 and !OmniClient to access SBS2011 and Windows 10 machines. Obviously they fail due to server side using SMBv2 and SMBv3.

It works accessing a Synology NAS, but that isnt what I wanted.

So, is there a market for allowing the sharing of any Windows directory from any Windows machine (inc MS Servers, as I use SBS2011 ATM)...?

This would also allow the sharing of the OneDrive folder allowing RiscOS machines to indirectly backup to the "MS clould".

It would be a lightweight FileSwitch module and filer on RISC OS machine and a simple app on the Windows machine.

So, like I said, is there a market; or is it just me who wants it?

Cheers

Gary
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Rob Kendrick Message #125280, posted by nunfetishist at 09:21, 2/2/2022, in reply to message #125279
nunfetishist
Today's phish is trout a la creme.

After a number of years, I have tried using !LanMan98 and !OmniClient to access SBS2011 and Windows 10 machines. Obviously they fail due to server side using SMBv2 and SMBv3.
I don't think you can, no. There are NFS servers available for Windows though, with which I have successfully used ImageNFS and Sunfish.

That'll be running the open-source Samba server which is good at maintaining backwards compatibility.

So, is there a market for allowing the sharing of any Windows directory from any Windows machine (inc MS Servers, as I use SBS2011 ATM)...?
This is RISC OS, there is no market smile Also, you really should top using SBS2011, that's no longer receiving any security updates, and it has an unbelievably huge attack surface.

This would also allow the sharing of the OneDrive folder allowing RiscOS machines to indirectly backup to the "MS clould".
There are plenty of open source tools for accessing OneDrive (and other cloud providers), including an easily-ported command line tool (rclone), perhaps you could use one of these for your backups?

It would be a lightweight FileSwitch module and filer on RISC OS machine and a simple app on the Windows machine.
I have been working on and off for a while on a network file system for RISC OS where the RISC OS side is a trivial veneer and the server is portable and takes advantage of modern OS features. I suppose it's possible the server could be ported to Windows too! I should get my finger out.

So, like I said, is there a market; or is it just me who wants it?
There is no market beyond retro enthusiasts. People are buying RPis with 400% mark up just to "support the market" artificially.
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Martin Avison Message #125281, posted by mavison at 09:55, 2/2/2022, in reply to message #125279

[snip]
I use the Synology Cloud Sync package to sync a DropBox folder on my Synology. I can then easily read and write those DropBox files from any RISC OS machine using LM[98] or NFS.

Cloud Sync will do the same with many other cloud storage providers, including One Drive.
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Acorn Arcade forums: General: Sharing WIndows Folders