User accounts
Register new account
Forgot password
Forum stats
List of members
Search the forums

Advanced search
Recent discussions
- WROCC Newsletter Volume 41:11 reviewed (News:)
- WROCC March 2024 meeting o... Hughes and Peter Richmond (News:1)
- Rougol March 2024 meeting on monday with Bernard Boase (News:)
- Drag'n'Drop 13i2 edition reviewed (News:)
- South-West Show 2024 talks (News:4)
- February 2024 News Summary (News:1)
- Next developer fireside chat (News:)
- DDE31d released (News:)
- South-West Show 2024 Report (News:)
- South-West Show 2024 in pictures (News:)
Related articles
- March 2024 News Summary
- Rougol March 2024 meeting on monday with Bernard Boase
- February 2024 News Summary
- Next developer fireside chat
- DDE31d released
- South-West Show 2024 Report
- Big NVMe news for the RISC OS at the South-West Show
- Saturday is South-West Show
- ROOL releases updated Git Beta
- ROOL website gets a bit of a makeover
Latest postings RSS Feeds
RSS 2.0 | 1.0 | 0.9
Atom 0.3
Misc RDF | CDF

View on Mastodon
@www.iconbar.com@rss-parrot.net
Site Search

Article archives
Acorn Arcade forums: News and features: PhotoDesk new release reviewed

PhotoDesk new release reviewed

Posted by Mark Stephens on 06:29, 22/9/2022 |

There is a new release of the veteran image package PhotoDesk now available.

The product has now moved to XAT and the release is being handled by R-Comp on !Store

The software is now supplied as a zip. As well as the installer program, the zip also contains the manual and some example images.

The main change appears to be updates to the installer. This is no longer designed to run from CD and there are 2 different versions - one for RISC OS 3/4 and one for RISC OS 5. This allows it to setup different default settings, such as allocating more memory to the application.

The software will pick up your previous program settings if you install over your old copy.

Most of the program changes appear to be cosmetic, with the splash screen and InfoBox now updated to mention XAT.

2 nice tweaks to the actual program are that it no longer saves images to clipboard between sessions. It also now only claims the JPEG and PNG filetypes if not already allocated when loaded.

The software is now available on !Store for 42 pounds (half its previous price) or a 29 pounds upgrade. It is very nice to have the software easily available again at a cheaper price and hopefully seeing a new lease of life.

PhotoDesk new release reviewed
  Bucksboy (16:51 23/9/2022)
  paintings (18:38 28/9/2022)
    Bucksboy (17:26 5/10/2022)
      castlevarich (16:38 12/10/2022)
        Bucksboy (21:16 20/10/2022)
        Bucksboy (21:16 20/10/2022)
        arawnsley (09:29 21/10/2022)

George Greenfield Message #125336, posted by Bucksboy at 16:51, 23/9/2022
It doesn't sound as if Photodesk's chronic instability (IME) when running on an ARMv8 platform (a Pi 4 in my case) has been addressed. I've got the previous 'latest' version - 3.17.14; sometimes it loads to the icon bar, other times it prefers to freeze the machine, and there's no way of telling in advance which Photodesk persona - Dr Jekyll or Mr Hyde - is going to turn up. So I generally use Photodesk on my Pi 1, or under RPCEmu on Wintel, where on either platform it is rock-solid. This is a shame, as the Pi 4 is much faster than either.

[Edited by Bucksboy at 17:52, 23/9/2022]
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Stuart Painting Message #125337, posted by paintings at 18:38, 28/9/2022, in reply to message #125336
I've tried out the new version of PhotoDesk on a Pi 4B: although I haven't given it a comprehensive going-over, it does seem to function as expected.

As I understand it, XAT did some work to get it running on the Pi 4, and this is the version R-Comp have been sending out as an upgrade for the past 3 months, prior to it appearing on !Store.
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

George Greenfield Message #125339, posted by Bucksboy at 17:26, 5/10/2022, in reply to message #125337
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Jon Robinson Message #125342, posted by castlevarich at 16:38, 12/10/2022, in reply to message #125339
Dear George

Does it behave more reliably when you load it immediately after boot up, rather than after you've used some other software?

Also has anybody tried it on an ARMBook?

Regards

Jon
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

George Greenfield Message #125348, posted by Bucksboy at 21:16, 20/10/2022, in reply to message #125342
Does it behave more reliably when you load it immediately after boot up, rather than after you've used some other software?
Yes. But even after a reboot it sometimes locks the machine.
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

George Greenfield Message #125349, posted by Bucksboy at 21:16, 20/10/2022, in reply to message #125342
Yes. But even after a reboot it sometimes locks the machine.
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Andrew Rawnsley Message #125350, posted by arawnsley at 09:29, 21/10/2022, in reply to message #125342
R-Comp chap
Jon,

I haven't had a chance to try it on an original Pinebook, but my demo at ROUGOL was shown an a Pinebook Pro which uses the same architecture generation (A72) as Pi4. No problems encountered. Original Pinebook is also ARMv8 (if I recall correctly) so should be broadly similar in terms of compatibility. I'll need to charge mine up, but if I have a chance, will check.

Similarly, many of us test on Pi4 gen machines, and I've had no reports of issues. That being said, it is always possible, and there is a chance some other program being seen could be causing a conflict for George. All I can really say is that I've had no issues on any of our systems, and nor have the various people/companies who test it.
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Acorn Arcade forums: News and features: PhotoDesk new release reviewed