User accounts
Register new account
Forgot password
Forum stats
List of members
Search the forums

Advanced search
Recent discussions
- Will we see 5.30 released at Wakefield show? (News:)
- Prizes for Wakefield Show announced (News:)
- Heretic update from R-Comp (News:)
- Wakefield Show 2024 is next Saturday (News:)
- Git client updated to 0.07 (News:2)
- Archive Edition 27:1 reviewed (News:)
- Rougol April 2024 meeting on monday is Anniversary time (News:1)
- WROCC April 2024 meeting o...changes to our phone lines (News:1)
- April developer 'fireside' chat is on saturday night (News:)
- March 2024 News Summary (News:4)
Latest postings RSS Feeds
RSS 2.0 | 1.0 | 0.9
Atom 0.3
Misc RDF | CDF

View on Mastodon
@www.iconbar.com@rss-parrot.net
Site Search

Article archives
Acorn Arcade forums: Games: How many programmers does it take to change a Lightbulb??

How many programmers does it take to change a Lightbulb??
  [Steve] (02:09 22/12/2000)
  [Steve] (02:11 22/12/2000)
    Wrath (07:14 22/12/2000)
      ToiletDuck (10:27 22/12/2000)
        Ramuh (12:47 22/12/2000)
          [Steve] (14:13 22/12/2000)
            Phlamethrower (16:15 22/12/2000)
              Dave (13:39 23/12/2000)
                andreww (17:04 24/12/2000)
                  johnstlr (17:44 2/1/2001)

Steve Allen Message #85138, posted by [Steve] at 02:09, 22/12/2000
AA refugee
Oops typo tongue

I mean to write a game - how many people do what?

And I dont mean any of the administration b****cks - just musicians/graphics bods/coders....

And how long does the average game take to write?

In your answer you should include :

*Comparisons between above info for PC games and Acorn games
*Whining that there aren't enough coders
*Whining that everyone is lazy
*Whining about insufficient hardware...

You get the idea tongue

Just interested to know smile
________
[Steve]
RiscPC SA & Duron 600@850

^[ Log in to reply ]

Steve Allen Message #85139, posted by [Steve] at 02:11, 22/12/2000, in reply to message #85138
AA refugee
Nice censorship grin
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Nathan Message #85140, posted by Wrath at 07:14, 22/12/2000, in reply to message #85139
Oops typo tongue

I mean to write a game - how many people do what?

And I dont mean any of the administration b****cks - just musicians/graphics bods/coders....

Hey! The administration is a killer job as well you know!

Depends on what type of game it is and how many people are working on it and how long it takes for the coder to get sick of the code. Also depends on working in spare time or full time.

Most Acorn games are done by individuals. VOTI consist of one main coder, one graphics artist and a backup peripheral coder.

The Overcast division consists of one main coder, one graphics artist and musician.

Fednet consisted of two coders and a graphics artist.

Artex are using everyone they can.

^[ Log in to reply ]

Mark Quint Message #85141, posted by ToiletDuck at 10:27, 22/12/2000, in reply to message #85140
Ooh ducky!Quack Quack
YAY Overcast Division tongue

lets alter the thread a little now,
How many people does it take to write a 3D engine???? tongue

^[ Log in to reply ]

Shane Message #85142, posted by Ramuh at 12:47, 22/12/2000, in reply to message #85141
AA refugee
Depends what you mean by the "average" game.

I could write a version of Minesweeper in an afternoon, a version of Tetris in a day....

Depends how good the coders are, how motivated they are, how much experience, and how demotivated they become when people complain that they're lazy.

And of course, how much time they have to take out to do administrative stuff, such as coordinating their graphics artists and musicians, unless of course, they have a talented, dedicated, good-looking administrator to look after that side of it...(well ok, two out of three ain't bad smile)

How long is a piece of string ?

^[ Log in to reply ]

Steve Allen Message #85143, posted by [Steve] at 14:13, 22/12/2000, in reply to message #85142
AA refugee
I guess - also apologies for saying administration b****cks - I was really on about the fact that PC Games often have twice as many people who are in the credits as 'Coloured in a bit of the manual's cover' - no disrespect intended!!

I just completed Monkey Island 4 and most of the credits consisted of people who might not even have looked at a computer during the project. Wicked game too by the way wink

smile

^[ Log in to reply ]

Jeffrey Lee Message #85144, posted by Phlamethrower at 16:15, 22/12/2000, in reply to message #85143
PhlamethrowerHot Hot Hot Hot Hot Hot Hot Hot Hot Hot Hot Hot Hot stuff

Hmmm....
Either 1 crazy programmer or a team of programmers.

Crazy person is likely to get it done quickest, while a team of programmers are likely to do it the politically correct way and make sure it is easily expandable and stuff. They are also likely to enter into such debates as 'C is better than ARM', 'ARM is better than C', 'BASIC is the best assembler', etc. as well as regularly losing and gaining members, not updating websites for months, and finally disappearing wihtout a trace, leaving a very buggy version of the code and no source.

That good enough an answer for you?

^[ Log in to reply ]

Dave Sloan Message #85145, posted by Dave at 13:39, 23/12/2000, in reply to message #85144
Hmmm....
Either 1 crazy programmer or a team of programmers.

Amazing. Did you ever know Rob Templeman? (winks to audience monkey )

^[ Log in to reply ]

Andrew Message #85146, posted by andreww at 17:04, 24/12/2000, in reply to message #85145
AA refugee
Thanks for the mention Nathan :-)

Taking the Acorn platform into account would distort the answer to the original question I would imagine.
Artex are probably the most reflective of the PC platform and they consist of several programmers, usicians, administrators and a film crew for example. Ankh listed at least 6 people if I remember correctly.
At least three people are coding TEK.
Another difference is that for many PC games I imagine the development teams work in the same building don't they?
I suspect that even Artex though cannot do this entirely though.

^[ Log in to reply ]

Lee Johnston Message #85147, posted by johnstlr at 17:44, 2/1/2001, in reply to message #85146
Oops typo tongue

18 months for a full PC team. This is JUST the game and not the engine. The engine probably took 18 months to write and was written by an outside team and then licensed in.

Note this is for a "normal" PC game where the publisher puts pressure on the developer to finish within the given time frame. For comparisons for a "proper" game look at how long Zelda on N64 took to appear.....

Judging from interviews BHP took TBA about 100 days to write. Note the engine already existed and, as good as it was / is for a RISC OS game, it doesn't compare to PC games.

RISC OS coders aren't lazy (well not all of them). We just have more important things to attend to.

^[ Log in to reply ]

Acorn Arcade forums: Games: How many programmers does it take to change a Lightbulb??