User accounts
Register new account
Forgot password
Forum stats
List of members
Search the forums

Advanced search
Recent discussions
- Prizes for Wakefield Show announced (News:)
- Heretic update from R-Comp (News:)
- Wakefield Show 2024 is next Saturday (News:)
- Git client updated to 0.07 (News:2)
- Archive Edition 27:1 reviewed (News:)
- Rougol April 2024 meeting on monday is Anniversary time (News:1)
- WROCC April 2024 meeting o...changes to our phone lines (News:1)
- April developer 'fireside' chat is on saturday night (News:)
- March 2024 News Summary (News:4)
- WROCC Newsletter Volume 41:11 reviewed (News:)
Related articles
- Software Preservation at the ROUGOL Show
- Arculator updated to add A4 emulation and more podule support
- Acorn Preservation Team want to help archive your old data before it's too late
- Cloverleaf drops promise of including retro games with Kickstarter rewards (Updated)
- Games news
- Software preservation project bearing fruit
- Old games on new screens
- Newsround
- Oldschool Reviews - Burn 'Out
- Games scene roundup
Latest postings RSS Feeds
RSS 2.0 | 1.0 | 0.9
Atom 0.3
Misc RDF | CDF

View on Mastodon
@www.iconbar.com@rss-parrot.net
Site Search

Article archives
Acorn Arcade forums: News and features: ArcCommand - too much like Starship Command?

ArcCommand - too much like Starship Command?

Posted by Richard Goodwin on 15:30, 14/2/2002 | ,

I've just received word that Jason Tribbeck has had to remove ArcCommand apparently because the original author has been in touch and says it breaches his original copyright on Starship Command.

Despite the fact that Starship Command was a BBC B/Electron game, the author seems to feel that he can still make money from it. This despite the fact that Jason's version was a complete re-write without any recourse to peeking at the original code, and the original having ships taken from copyright-infringement-unfriendly TV shows - the Enterprise from the original Star Trek, and the Liberator from the Blake's 7 by the BBC.

This is not the first time that the author of an ancient game has decided that, despite the fact that the platform it was originally written for is long gone, they'll pursue not-for-profit copies on the grounds that maybe, just maybe, they can still squeeze a little more cash out of it - David Braben and Elite, anyone?

ArcCommand - too much like Starship Command?
  This is a long thread. Click here to view the threaded list.

Richard Cheng Message #87199, posted at 13:11, 19/2/2002, in reply to message #87198
Unregistered user I'm no lawyer, so correct me if I'm wrong, but I was always led to believe that you can't copyright ideas. (that's what patents are for)

Legally speaking, I think the original author is on pretty shaky ground.

Anyone who actually knows what they're talking about care to back me up? ;)
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Jonathan Atherton Message #87200, posted at 23:01, 19/2/2002, in reply to message #87199
Unregistered user I don't see whats wrong with Jason putting a credit to Peter Irvin afterall it is based on his game! I'm still not any happier about ArcCommand going down as by my reckoning it was only one of six games released last year for RISC OS. I hope Peter isn't expecting us to delete our original copys because I for one am certainly not!
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

The Vole Message #87201, posted at 10:04, 26/2/2002, in reply to message #87200
Unregistered user For definitions of copyright and related subjects, see

http://www.patent.gov.uk/copy/index.htm

I think that if you respect someone's work enough to base your own work on it, then it's generally a good idea to at least inform the original author that you intend to do so. It's bad form for someone to base a literary work on that of another author without their permission, but I doubt that many games fall into the category of literature!

What you do if you think that the original author is unreachable is an open question.
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Julian Arnold Message #87202, posted at 18:36, 27/2/2002, in reply to message #87201
Unregistered user About 10 years ago I had an Arc game called !Foray which, IIRC, was even more like SC than ArcCommand - same gameplay but cruder (b & w?) graphics. I think it may have come from an AU or AW cover disc. I don't know what this adds to the discussion, but does anyone remember / have it?
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

TotalBiscuit Message #87203, posted at 16:19, 7/3/2002, in reply to message #87202
Unregistered user This is just about the stupidest copyright infringement whine I've ever seen. The game is ancient, there is absolutely no chance of it making anymore money and it's a real kick in the teeth for the author of the excellent ArcCommand. I'd just like to say this to the original Starship Command author. Guess what? I've got a copied tape of your game! Yes, that's right, I have, I'm so completely evil, I must be the spawn of satan. PLEASE take me to court. Hopefully after you've wasted all your money trying to send me down you'll have no money left to fight Jason over his alleged 'breach of copyright' and the excellent ArcCommand can be put back on the web.

TB (a little annoyed as you may have guessed).
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Jason Tribbeck Message #87204, posted at 09:07, 8/3/2002, in reply to message #87203
Unregistered user I think that the last comment is a little reactionary.

I'm currently enjoying the negotiations, but I can't tell you why until they're completed.
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

John Hoare Message #87205, posted at 12:21, 11/3/2002, in reply to message #87204
Unregistered user Sounds interesting... :-)
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Totalbiscuit Message #87206, posted at 17:50, 13/3/2002, in reply to message #87205
Unregistered user You expect a slightly depressed yet hormonally charged communist to be anything less than reactionary?
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Chris Tribbeck Message #87207, posted at 19:11, 27/3/2002, in reply to message #87206
Unregistered user As Jason's brother, I am aware of one or two details concerning his next game, and as Jason's newly self-appointed legal aide (although he doesn't know it, yet), I'd like to make sure that his next game won't cause any copyright infringements. If you have any problems with these concepts, speak now, or forever hold you peace...

(1) This game is in space. Any problems with that ?
(2) You fly a space-ship. Everyone OK ?
(3) You shoot baddies. Still no problems ?
(4) You have missions. Still OK ?
(5) You gain money. Anyone copyrighted this ?

If no-one can legally claim copyright to these points, I think we'll be safe...
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Guest Message #87208, posted at 19:56, 17/4/2002, in reply to message #87207
Unregistered user iF wE eXPLODEN tHE oRIGINAL aUTHOR wE cOULD aVE mORE sEQUELS

- aNONYMOUS mNEMONICS yEWZER
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Guest Message #87209, posted at 02:22, 3/5/2002, in reply to message #87208
Unregistered user Having worked with the people who wrote ChuckieEgg, Manic Miner, Harrier Command ... I'm pretty sure most 'old' coders are quite happy to see their old stuff recognised.

They still own the copyright, so if there is ever a game boy advanced version then stand to earn the cash, but (no offence), remakes of old games for the Acorn ain't going to cost anyone any money ...

Cheers, Keeper.
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Guest Message #87210, posted at 00:07, 27/6/2002, in reply to message #87209
Unregistered user Just think, if the person behind 'Snakes and Ladders' were alive today then 5,000+ dollar-eyed laywers would besiege their front door daily, Sony would go back to selling TV's and dodgy rice cookers, Nintendo back to gaming cards, MS have a valid excuse to cop-out and go back to the desktop OS and application s/w market where they actually make money and maybe Doom would be banned in which case 50% of all PC games would be banned including MOH. A good thing then? Oh, and CTW would rise from the ashes and make my Friday again.

James of Staples
Still with an early 'Archimedes' not 'Acorn' branded last-of-the-Arc line A540. Offers if you know where to find me...
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Joachim Fichtner Message #87211, posted at 13:38, 6/10/2004, in reply to message #87210
Unregistered user I know, it´s a bit late...
ÍIRC UK ratified a european guideline that ensures intellectual property but even ensures the right for other developers to adapt, adopt and improve...
If you do NOT use any data of the original program and do NOT use the original name, the author or copyright owner of the original piece of software has no rights at all. Simply using the idea and concept of a game can´t be subject of a "war on copyright".
If ArcCommand ist a total rewrite there is no cause of impediment to spread it to the community.
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Guest Message #87212, posted at 23:50, 23/10/2004, in reply to message #87211
Unregistered user You may well find that the reason that authors of games for long obselete machines are now seeking to protect their IP, is the prevalence of mobile devices capable of playing games (phones etc...).

Money (and a lot of it) can be made by re-releasing those addictive old games on new mobile hardware where there is a true mass market.
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Guest Message #87213, posted at 01:54, 16/7/2006, in reply to message #87212
Unregistered user Can I share some resources with you? <a href="http://schemecookbook.org/twiki/pub/Main/JohnBravo/free_ringtones_for_sprint.html">free ringtones for sprint</a>
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Guest Message #87214, posted at 19:04, 16/7/2006, in reply to message #87213
Unregistered user Wow.. looks like a bot has detected this free advertisement method...

Anyway, too bad that Jason had to pull this game.
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Pages (2): |< < 2

Acorn Arcade forums: News and features: ArcCommand - too much like Starship Command?