User accounts
Register new account
Forgot password
Forum stats
List of members
Search the forums

Advanced search
Recent discussions
- WROCC Newsletter Volume 41:11 reviewed (News:)
- WROCC March 2024 meeting o... Hughes and Peter Richmond (News:1)
- Rougol March 2024 meeting on monday with Bernard Boase (News:)
- Drag'n'Drop 13i2 edition reviewed (News:)
- South-West Show 2024 talks (News:4)
- February 2024 News Summary (News:1)
- Next developer fireside chat (News:)
- DDE31d released (News:)
- South-West Show 2024 Report (News:)
- South-West Show 2024 in pictures (News:)
Related articles
- Rounding Up February
- Wakefield 2001 show report
- Select 3i4 released [updated]
- Castle Press Conference [updated^2]
- eBay Watch: Phoebe, Kinetic, and StrongARM
- Wakefield 2003 - the preview
- Couple of updates: Nutmeg, Unix ports
- BBC Bs, 100bTs and other quickies
- Wakefield 2000 show report
- Wakefield 2006 show report
Latest postings RSS Feeds
RSS 2.0 | 1.0 | 0.9
Atom 0.3
Misc RDF | CDF

View on Mastodon
@www.iconbar.com@rss-parrot.net
Site Search

Article archives
Acorn Arcade forums: News and features: Something for the weekend

Something for the weekend

Posted by Richard Goodwin on 17:59, 8/2/2002 | , , , , ,

Just before I nip off home, here's a few bits and pieces to keep you amused...

The RISCOS Ltd. site has a news item entitled "Embedded RISC OS announced", which sounds very much like a rehash of the RON project. The words horse, dead and flogging came to mind, but reading further it's used in Castle's Neuron system. Which is nice.

Acorn User have updated their website to go with their new look magazine. The concensus on the forums seems to be that the new look mag is a hit, although I don't get the chance to find out at first hand :(

And interesting doo-dad of the week goes to !Chromax, which can take 256 colour sprites and swap tints for other tints. No doubt that'll come in handy now I've got off my backside and started looking at the desktop themes code again, pink Aqua-styled toolbars anybody...?

Hmm, bit of a slow news week, what else can I post? Have you seen these BBC Micro models? Yes? Oh well, I'm off home then. See you next week...

Something for the weekend
  This is a long thread. Click here to view the threaded list.

march Message #90066, posted at 21:16, 11/2/2002, in reply to message #90065
Unregistered user 26.09.01 newsletter #18
08.01.02 newsletter #19
08.02.02 newsletter #20

the whole text about embedded risc os in #20 is the same as on www.riscos.com.
don´t dare to ask why we are paying for foundation "news" :->>
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Michael Stubbs Message #90067, posted at 21:39, 11/2/2002, in reply to message #90066
Unregistered user Rich, how about adding a bit of code that blocks idiot comments wich contain the words "killing" and "market" in close proximity to each other? ;-)
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Guest Message #90068, posted at 22:46, 11/2/2002, in reply to message #90067
Unregistered user Doh! Can't remember my username from here - no doubt people will think this is spoofed! :-)
Anyway, I can't find the reference now. I think I was wrong to say it was in the Foundation newsletter as it's obviously not. I've definitely read it somewhere in the past few days though cos I was pretty miffed myself to read it (being a Netbook owner myself), and I re-read it a couple of times. Now I feel silly cos I can't find the reference. However, I'll endeavour to find it.

Paul (from home)
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Guest Message #90069, posted at 00:06, 12/2/2002, in reply to message #90068
Unregistered user Ah. I found it. It was Newsletter #23421. Apparently, they thought RON was a good idea back in 2001, but now it's out of date. Oh. Hmm. This newletter is actually dated 1/4/2317. :-(

Paul (from planet zog)
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Guest Message #90070, posted at 16:56, 12/2/2002, in reply to message #90069
Unregistered user David James: "This could be a real coup outside of our market. There are a lot of of unhappy netBook users atm. If ROL can add decent network drivers to RON then I think a lot of poeple may be interested."

It's hardly surprising that users of another proprietary operating system are having trouble getting support from their operating system vendor who, coincidentally, has changed focus and has little interest in supporting "old" devices that use it.

Compare and contrast:

Pace/Symbian
RISC OS Ltd. (and friends)/Psion

They would be far better off running something non-proprietary in order to avoid getting into the same situation again within about a year.
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

David James Message #90071, posted at 17:04, 12/2/2002, in reply to message #90070
Unregistered user Hi guest who quotes me.

I do agree with you about proprietary systems, and I am not saying this would save our market, but I still think it may help to get RO seen by more people in other markets.

It may even help development, if people decide to write specific 'on-the'move' type software.
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Guy Inchbald Message #90072, posted at 18:09, 12/2/2002, in reply to message #90071
Unregistered user Non-proprietary? You're not seriously suggesting that ROL and Pace should wake up and smell the coffee are you? I know this thread is wandering off a bit, but really!
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Guest Message #90073, posted at 21:40, 12/2/2002, in reply to message #90072
Unregistered user The big problem with RISC OS is that under the bonet, it's extremely awful. The only things going for it are its GUI and applications. That's why I personally am very much behind projects such as ROX and riscose - they'll give current RISC OS applications a chance to run on a decent OS. The problem will be migrating current users. As from an Embedded RISC OS point of view, I can see no reason what so ever, apart from possible support of legacy code, to use such a thing. It's comparitivly slow, extremely limited hardware support, and utterly unrelible compaired to the competition.

The best thing RISCOS Ltd. could do is support the development of riscose and ROX, or produce their own commercial alternatives. That'll take a massive leap of faith for the later, and produces no income for the former. RISCOS Ltd. are in a doomed position it would seem - many are surprised they've lasted even this long.
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Guest Message #90074, posted at 09:12, 13/2/2002, in reply to message #90073
Unregistered user Hi all.
I cant remember my user ID etc. Anyway why is hter esuck a bruha about the netbook. there are other strongARM machines that have a bigger following like the jornada's.
Specifically the 820 etc etc

oh

cheers
bob hartley
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

David James Message #90075, posted at 10:07, 13/2/2002, in reply to message #90074
Unregistered user The reason the netBook is being used (hopefully) by ROL, is the ease of getting the OS onto it.

The OS can be placed on a compact flash card and then loaded at boot up into main memory.

This allows the use of several OS and the chance to choose the most suitable for the application.

Also, the netBook is more of a sub-notebook than a PDA.
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Pages (2): |< < 2

Acorn Arcade forums: News and features: Something for the weekend