User accounts
Register new account
Forgot password
Forum stats
List of members
Search the forums

Advanced search
Recent discussions
- WROCC Newsletter Volume 41:11 reviewed (News:)
- WROCC March 2024 meeting o... Hughes and Peter Richmond (News:1)
- Rougol March 2024 meeting on monday with Bernard Boase (News:)
- Drag'n'Drop 13i2 edition reviewed (News:)
- South-West Show 2024 talks (News:4)
- February 2024 News Summary (News:1)
- Next developer fireside chat (News:)
- DDE31d released (News:)
- South-West Show 2024 Report (News:)
- South-West Show 2024 in pictures (News:)
Related articles
- Iconbar in update shocker!
- April Fools!
- RISCOS Ltd. laugh off Castle allegations with Select3i4
- It's a free country... [updated]
- RiscStation offer VRPC laptop
- New books for RISC OS
- April Fool Roundup
- RISC OS on The Register
- It's Acorn, but not as we know them...
- RISC OS Firefox beta surfaces
Latest postings RSS Feeds
RSS 2.0 | 1.0 | 0.9
Atom 0.3
Misc RDF | CDF

View on Mastodon
@www.iconbar.com@rss-parrot.net
Site Search

Article archives
Acorn Arcade forums: News and features: Peter Naulls - So long? and thanks for all the ports! [Updat

Peter Naulls - So long? and thanks for all the ports! [Updated^2]

Posted by Andrew Duffell on 23:57, 3/6/2005 | , , , , ,

Peter Naulls has declared on Usenet in response to several abusive postings that "I will [go away], and I'll take my website with me for a period of time. As well the considerable help I provide to these groups."

This comes after heated debate over his recent guidelines.

The move makes his ports no longer available, and potentially puts the Firefox project in jeporday.

A few weeks ago it was pointed out to us that Peter was no longer on the Drobe editorial team.

Update: riscos.info has now disappeared in whole, and redirects to a well known RISC OS news site.

Update^2 riscos.info has returned in full with the porting project and a new Firefox Pledge-o-meter. Peter has also announced that he is to leave the UK for the USA in the summer.

Link: ArcSite coverage

Peter Naulls - So long? and thanks for all the ports! [Updat
  This is a long thread. Click here to view the threaded list.

Michael Stubbs Message #93652, posted at 08:13, 6/6/2005, in reply to message #93651
Unregistered user "All of which completely misses the point of course. Are you going to tell all the developers (and users) who've already left RISC OS to "get a thicker skin"? It's not surprising after places like TIB openly antagonising people that they no longer bother."

Yes. To make such a decision based on some comments by very, very few people who don't even constitute 1% of active users is out of all proportion.

Put it in perspective. You, me and Chris from Drobe (for arguments sake) could post some comments personally attacking 'druck'. He then says to the other 3000 people - "Sorry, I'm leaving RISC OS and taking my software with me because three people insulted me."

"Are you going to tell the handful of remaining developers the same message? That they have to sit there or ignore people who are being insulting, lazy or dishonest? They may well have far better things to do."

Yes. Such as running their business, programming, family life. Newsgroups are hardly pivitol in most people's lives.

"If Firefox is so important, then people other than just me should also be making a huge effort. It's not enough for hundreds of people to be appreciative, but have to suffer such users compounded by getting peanuts for your efforts."

I doubt that most users have the programming skills necessary to help with Firefox.

I understand that you are angry because of the insults. There is no argument... such comments are inappropriate for newsgroups. I've made personal comments in the past and regretted doing so (though not viscious or using foul language, I should add).

However, I just don't see that it is appropriate to base decisions on comments of such few people.

Furthermore, it's worth rememering that RISC OS users do not constitute a community. We do not live together, we do not know each other, we are simply users of a certain computer system. If someone wants to call you a tosser, then it's nothing to do with me, or the next user.

Anyway, I just thought it would be useful for you to consider the flipside of the coin.

^[ Log in to reply ]

GuestX Message #93653, posted by guestx at 09:19, 6/6/2005, in reply to message #93652
That the RISC OS scene would eventually burn up as a result of a Usenet etiquette flame-fest, can anyone really claim not to have seen it coming?
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Richard Goodwin Message #93654, posted by rich at 09:41, 6/6/2005, in reply to message #93653
Rich
Dictator for life
I stopped reading Usenet ages ago, having made an innocent suggestion and got flamed by Justin Fletcher (which should give some indication as to how long ago it was). Just don't use it - there are other ways to communicate.
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Pages (2): |< < 2

Acorn Arcade forums: News and features: Peter Naulls - So long? and thanks for all the ports! [Updat