Register new account
Forgot password
Forum stats
List of members
Search the forums

Advanced search
Recent discussions
- Archive Edition 27:2 reviewed (News:)
- Rougol May 2024 meeting on monday with Andy Vawer (News:1)
- WROCC May 2024 meeting - Gerph talks games (News:)
- Drag'n'Drop 13i3 edition reviewed (News:1)
- Wakefield Show 2024 in Pictures (News:5)
- April 2024 News Summary (News:2)
- RISC OS 5.30 arrives (News:2)
- Upgrading your RISC OS system to 5.30 (News:2)
- WROCC May 2024 meeting on wednesday - Gerph talks games (News:)
- uniprint upgraded to 4.50 (News:)
Latest postings RSS Feeds
RSS 2.0 | 1.0 | 0.9
Atom 0.3
Misc RDF | CDF

View on Mastodon
@www.iconbar.com@rss-parrot.net
Site Search

Article archives
Acorn Arcade forums: Programming: Adventure games

Adventure games
  andreww (11:54 6/12/2002)
  Phlamethrower (12:27 6/12/2002)
    andreww (13:29 6/12/2002)
      Loris (19:22 16/12/2002)
        Loris (19:23 16/12/2002)
          Dave (04:18 22/12/2002)
            SimonC (13:49 23/12/2002)
              Loris (18:25 10/1/2003)
                Phlamethrower (23:56 19/1/2003)

Andrew Message #86255, posted by andreww at 11:54, 6/12/2002
AA refugee
What is the basis of an adventure game pa**er? I can probably work out the room to room movement, object collection and usage and implement that in (BASIC I don't think that'd be too hard) but I've never understood how a pa**er would work.I have a listing in Terry Blunt's book but found it it too convoluted.
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Jeffrey Lee Message #86256, posted by Phlamethrower at 12:27, 6/12/2002, in reply to message #86255
PhlamethrowerHot Hot Hot Hot Hot Hot Hot Hot Hot Hot Hot Hot Hot stuff

I've got no idea indiff

I suppose it depends how complex you want it to be. Simple pa**ers would just check for things like 'go north', 'take the ball', etc., while more complex ones would allow things like 'drop the ball down the well', etc.

I *think* that all commands the user can give would start with a verb (Apart from abbreviated movement commands such as 'north'), so a good starting point might be to write something to seperate the verb from the rest of the command. Unless you can think of a generic way of describing commands that the computer can use, e.g. 'go <room>', 'drop <object> [(in|down|onto) <object>]', it's probably best to write seperate pa**ers for each verb the player can use. Obviously you'd be able to reuse functions, e.g. a function to work out which object the player is talking about.

^[ Log in to reply ]

Andrew Message #86257, posted by andreww at 13:29, 6/12/2002, in reply to message #86256
AA refugee
Yes Iooking at old listings there are lists of verbs and nouns and objects in DATA statements, it's the discrimination/detection that's the hard part. Yes i think there has to be some kind of protocol for commands otherwise the pa**er would be huge, at least for a beginner.
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Tony Haines Message #86258, posted by Loris at 19:22, 16/12/2002, in reply to message #86257
madbanHa ha, me mine, mwahahahaha
If I were doing an adventure game pa**er, I'd try to break it down into steps.
1) Scan the input string and pick out the 'words'.
This could be done by scanning the string, checking against a list of known words, and assigning an ID to each word. Abbreviations, and words with the same meaning (eg get, take etc.) would get the same ID. The ID would also have a few bits dedicated to what sort of word it was, eg verb, noun etc. This system would have to be smart enough to pick the word intended, and not just the first match. This would involve detecting word-separators (punctuation and space).
Any unknown words would reported.
("I don't know what 'Nortj' is."wink
Some joining words (Like 'the') can probably be discarded here.

2) Apply grammar.
This is the tricky part I think.
First, I'd try to check that the instruction was 'well formed'. To be honest my education has failed me here, I don't have enough explicit understanding of grammar.
But basically, just apply a list of rules.
If the player wants to take something, he must have mentioned what it is that he wants. So 'Pick up X' is acceptable, but 'Pick up' by itself us not. (Note that 'pick up' is an atomic unit - the word spotter can't just separate words at spaces.
Similarly "Pick up North" is not acceptable.
The complexity here is not that significant, but the rules may be extensive, especially if complex instructions are required.
"Tie X to Y" is OK, but to be fair to the player one would also have to detect "tie together X and Y with the String", "Tie X and Y together with string", "Use string to tie X to Y"

Now imagine "Tie one end of the rope to the tree, and the other to the dog's collar"

This brings me to state. If the player has just referred to one thing, they may use 'it' to refer to it again. Thus the most recently used object in several areas must be matched against 'it'.

3) Finally, one should check the game universe to check it permits the instruction given.
"Pick up clock"
There are no clocks around here.

Or something.

^[ Log in to reply ]

Tony Haines Message #86259, posted by Loris at 19:23, 16/12/2002, in reply to message #86258
Eh? I swear I didn't put a smiley in that post.
Oh well..
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Dave Sloan Message #86260, posted by Dave at 04:18, 22/12/2002, in reply to message #86259
Yeah, it's the scripting, you probably wrote a semi colon followed by a close bracket which the board tends to interpret as a smiley. What's more amusing is the way that pa**er is starred out... gah!
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Simon Challands Message #86261, posted by SimonC at 13:49, 23/12/2002, in reply to message #86260
Elite
Right on, Commander!

Reminds me of the time I got kicked from an IRC channel by some stupid monitor bot for saying Sc***horpe.
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Tony Haines Message #86262, posted by Loris at 18:25, 10/1/2003, in reply to message #86261
Yeah, it's the scripting, you probably wrote a semi colon followed by a close bracket which the board tends to interpret as a smiley.

Yeah, that'll be it. Now the question is why I put a semi-colon there...

To get back to the topic, to be honest I'd be tempted to attack the problem from the other end.

Give the player a list of options of valid commands, and let her create an instruction from them.

To start with the options would be
Go, Pick up, Put down, Examine, Use (and so on)

When one of these was selected, you'd get a list of appropriate, grammatically correct options.

I think this would simplify things immensely, and it also has the advantage that the user will never be stuck because she can't guess the word.

^[ Log in to reply ]

Jeffrey Lee Message #86263, posted by Phlamethrower at 23:56, 19/1/2003, in reply to message #86262
PhlamethrowerHot Hot Hot Hot Hot Hot Hot Hot Hot Hot Hot Hot Hot stuff

If you're not adverse to the idea, then you could just use Inform instead wink

Or at least look at the library code to see how their pa**er works - briefly:

* It splits the users command up into a series of words
* It then compares each word against a dictionary, and so replaces each word with a number to represent the dictionary word, if found
* It then compares it against a series of 'grammar lines', e.g.

'take' noun

Where 'take' would be the literal word take and noun would be an object in sight, or

'say' text 'to' creature

where 'creature' would be an object in sight which has the 'life' attribute, etc.

* It then sets the appropriate variables for the best matching (well, first matching) grammar line and calls the appropriate function

Having a read through the DM4 might be a good idea if you're interested in learning Inform or about its pa**er.

Of course writing a pa**er/game world as complex/flexible as the inform one would take some time - in the end it's up to what you want.

^[ Log in to reply ]

Acorn Arcade forums: Programming: Adventure games