Register new account
Forgot password
Forum stats
List of members
Search the forums

Advanced search
Recent discussions
- Archive Edition 27:2 reviewed (News:)
- Rougol May 2024 meeting on monday with Andy Vawer (News:1)
- WROCC May 2024 meeting - Gerph talks games (News:)
- Drag'n'Drop 13i3 edition reviewed (News:1)
- Wakefield Show 2024 in Pictures (News:5)
- April 2024 News Summary (News:2)
- RISC OS 5.30 arrives (News:2)
- Upgrading your RISC OS system to 5.30 (News:2)
- WROCC May 2024 meeting on wednesday - Gerph talks games (News:)
- uniprint upgraded to 4.50 (News:)
Latest postings RSS Feeds
RSS 2.0 | 1.0 | 0.9
Atom 0.3
Misc RDF | CDF

View on Mastodon
@www.iconbar.com@rss-parrot.net
Site Search

Article archives
Acorn Arcade forums: The Playpen: Doctor Woo

Doctor Woo
  This is a long thread. Click here to view the threaded list.

Jeffrey Lee Message #102820, posted by Phlamethrower at 21:27, 9/6/2007, in reply to message #102819
PhlamethrowerHot Hot Hot Hot Hot Hot Hot Hot Hot Hot Hot Hot Hot stuff

Hmm, major big plot oversight thingy.

Instead of blinking with both eyes, why didn't they resort to winking? The doctor wasn't being very helpful by not reminding them they can still wink.
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

VinceH Message #102821, posted by VincceH at 22:09, 9/6/2007, in reply to message #102816
VincceH
Lowering the tone since the dawn of time

I don't agree with "Best ep of New Who so far", but it was pretty damned good.
My immediate response when the ep ended was to go and tell someone who has no interest in Who whatsoever that I'd just seen the best episode made so far.
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Richard Goodwin Message #102822, posted by rich at 22:27, 9/6/2007, in reply to message #102820
Rich
Dictator for life
Hmm, major big plot oversight thingy.

Instead of blinking with both eyes, why didn't they resort to winking? The doctor wasn't being very helpful by not reminding them they can still wink.
I found it quite easy to hold my eyes open with my fingers so I couldn't blink.
________
RichGCheers,
Rich.
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

John Hoare Message #102825, posted by moss at 23:00, 9/6/2007, in reply to message #102817

The Confidential on after it was interesting, though, as they actually had something to say this time. Although I don't watch it usually (for the reasons I'm about to state) it seems like they usually only have 20 minutes of footage, which they then try to pad out to 45 minutes by adding lots of pop music. When really they could have just done a proper 20 minute behind-the-scenes programme and be done with it.
Confidential was fine laat year at half an hour - but yeah, at 45 minutes it usually seems ridiculously padded. (Not the pop music stuff though - I like that - but they manage endless behind-the-scenes reports that don't manage to actually go into any amount of detail at all.)
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Rob Kendrick Message #102827, posted by nunfetishist at 23:41, 9/6/2007, in reply to message #102820
nunfetishist
Today's phish is trout a la creme.

Also: why didn't they make use of mirrors? Why didn't chappy shout to the dumb blonde "Get your bloody arse in here now, I'm about to blink?"

David Tennent must have loved this episode, as it must have been only 10 minutes work for him. Interestingly, each season has had such an episode. Mid-series break for the main cast, perhaps?
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

John Hoare Message #102830, posted by moss at 00:04, 10/6/2007, in reply to message #102827

Interestingly, each season has had such an episode. Mid-series break for the main cast, perhaps?
Yep, that's exactly it. With the extra Christmas episodes now, they have to make up some time - and so they shoot two episodes at once. And Tennant can't be in two places at once...
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

VinceH Message #102831, posted by VincceH at 00:06, 10/6/2007, in reply to message #102827
VincceH

Also: why didn't they make use of mirrors?
That's what I thought the solution was going to be - but I think getting them around the TARDIS like that was clevererer.

But I would have just shoved mirrors between their hands and eyes. Much easier.

Plus - they're only there staring at each other until someone comes along and says "Okay boys, let's get these statues moved..."
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Andrew Poole Message #102832, posted by andypoole at 00:35, 10/6/2007, in reply to message #102831
andypoole
Mouse enthusiast
Web
Twitter

Also: why didn't they make use of mirrors?
That's what I thought the solution was going to be - but I think getting them around the TARDIS like that was clevererer.

I think they can look at themselves.. since they're technically looking at themselves by looking at their hands.. maybe..?
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

VinceH Message #102837, posted by VincceH at 10:37, 10/6/2007, in reply to message #102832
VincceH

I think they can look at themselves.. since they're technically looking at themselves by looking at their hands.. maybe..?
Dunno, I kind of had it down as being able to see their eyes - but that wasn't said, and it makes no sense because with their hands over their eyes you can't see them anyway.

Begs the question of how they reproduce, though, if it's about being able to see any part of them. If they just couldn't see each other's eyes, then doggy style would work - but if it's flesh in general, I guess it's either blindfolds at bedtime, or artificial insemination. tongue

[Edited by VincceH at 10:37, 10/6/2007]
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Jeffrey Lee Message #102942, posted by Phlamethrower at 09:59, 16/6/2007, in reply to message #102837

According to the dream I just had, if this week's ep combines the best bits of the last three episodes (and some extra ideas I've had) then it will surely be the best episode ever. And it might be best for them to turn it into a two-parter, due to all the stuff that goes on. Basically the plot needs to contain:

* A big multi-racial alien conspiracy to kill the doctor and/or steal the TARDIS technology
* The doctor subsequently losing the TARDIS and the key (in two seperate locations), either because he hid them or they were stolen
* The doctor subsequently getting the TARDIS back again (presumably he hid this during the initial alien search for him), and then having to go on an adventure to (a) hide in another bit of time for a while, and (b) get the key back (which was presumably lost/stolen)
* Professor Farnsworth and the Planet Express crew turning up to help, by using their spaceship to tow the TARDIS and/or perform limited time travel. Except that Farnsworth has been replaced with an evil android that burns vertical holes through the ship, trying to kill everyone in the process.
* The Doctor somehow makes it to the present day (after being initially stuck in Victorian England, or something), and he goes to meet Bill Bailey (I said multiple alien races were involved, didn't I?) Apparently he and the Doctor are old friends, and Bill is somewhat of a time expert. He advises the Doctor on what time period he can hide in that isn't being watched by the evil aliens.
* The magic year seems to be 1984, which is when Jack will turn up
* But more importantly, the Doctor is planning on asking his troupe of companions he's picked up along the way to make a replacement TARDIS key. 'cos, you can do that, like. Apparently it just needs to be something in the vague shape and size of a key, and it'll work, because the TARDIS is magic like that and it knows that it was made by people who are the Doctor's friends and aren't going to try killing him and/or the TARDIS. (But presumably the Doctor himself can't make the key, for some unspecified reason)
* Anyway, basically it's made clear that making a replacement key is their only chance of beating the aliens, because without the TARDIS they're stuck using some crappy 3rd-party time machine with a manual written in Engrish. Possibly salvaged from the wreckage of the Planet Express ship after Evil Farnsworth went crazy and tried to kill everyone.
* Upon quizzing the Doctor as to what's going on, Bill is angry that he isn't invited, feeling that the Doctor doesn't love him anymore. Queue the following exchange:
Bill: Just how old do you think you are?
Doctor: 993
The answer shocks Bill, and he becomes fully aware of the seriousness of the situation, because the Doctor is obviously significantly older (50 years or so?) than what Bill expected him to be. Older because he's spent the last 50-ish years hiding and/or on the run.
* And then there's a scene with some Egyptian-like aliens (ala a cheap ripoff of the G'ould from Stargate), who are presumably evil and in on the assassination plan. But they don't do much except walk around and look dramatic.
* And there also needs to be a scene where the Doctor & co. are racing across a planet surface, either trying to stay in the light, or trying to stay in the dark, because they're surrounded by evil aliens that wake up and try to kill him when it gets dark/light (delete as appropriate).
* And then there's some more running around, like in the trailer for this week's ep.
* And then I woke up. This presumably marks the end of the first half of the two-parter.

Oh, and SPOILERS, obviously.
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Andrew Poole Message #102959, posted by andypoole at 20:02, 16/6/2007, in reply to message #102942
andypoole
Mouse enthusiast
Web
Twitter

So. Utopia, then.
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Jeffrey Lee Message #102960, posted by Phlamethrower at 20:02, 16/6/2007, in reply to message #102942

The doctor subsequently losing the TARDIS
Told you!

Yana, eh? Cheeky!

Mr. Saxon looks like fun.
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Andrew Poole Message #102961, posted by andypoole at 20:13, 16/6/2007, in reply to message #102960
andypoole
Mouse enthusiast
Web
Twitter

So next week's episode will consist of them trying to get the Doctor's TARDIS back, possibly by trying to find the Master's TARDIS, then.
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Jeffrey Lee Message #102962, posted by Phlamethrower at 20:54, 16/6/2007, in reply to message #102961

Probably.

For a minute there, I was thinking that they'd stolen the plot to Metroid Prime: Hunters (i.e. some magical force calling out across the universe for people to come and find the ultimate power). And the way he acted at the end even suggested that maybe Utopia does exist, but it's some evil trap.
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Colin Cartmell-Browne Message #102996, posted by Col at 19:55, 17/6/2007, in reply to message #102961
Or possibly they use Capt Jacks time hopping wrist watch thingy that they went to great lenths to talk about during the opening few mins of the episode?
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Andrew Poole Message #102997, posted by andypoole at 20:54, 17/6/2007, in reply to message #102996
andypoole
Mouse enthusiast
Web
Twitter

Or possibly they use Capt Jacks time hopping wrist watch thingy that they went to great lenths to talk about during the opening few mins of the episode?
Didn't they also say it had burnt out?
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Ian Cook Message #102999, posted by ilcook at 21:39, 17/6/2007, in reply to message #102997
trainResident idiot
Wouldn't surprise me if the Doctor got it working again.
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Colin Cartmell-Browne Message #103014, posted by Col at 08:31, 18/6/2007, in reply to message #102999
I thought they said it ran out of power rather than burnt out? Either way the Doctor will probably be able to get it working.
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Andrew Poole Message #103161, posted by andypoole at 20:02, 23/6/2007, in reply to message #103014
andypoole
Mouse enthusiast
Web
Twitter

So. The Sound of Drums, then. shock
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Colin Cartmell-Browne Message #103162, posted by Col at 20:04, 23/6/2007, in reply to message #103014
I thought they said it ran out of power rather than burnt out? Either way the Doctor will probably be able to get it working.
Hey I was right!
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Jeffrey Lee Message #103163, posted by Phlamethrower at 20:48, 23/6/2007, in reply to message #103161

So. The Sound of Drums, then. shock
Clunky scene highlight of the week:

Saxon's talking about nurses (or doctors, or something). OH, THERE MUST BE A BOMB BEHIND THE TV. That's almost Torchwood quality Clunk!

In other news:

Yay, flying aircraft carriers! Yay, perception fields! (All they need now is for Gaspode to make an appearance. Go on, you know you want to.)
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Andrew Message #103213, posted by andrew at 12:24, 30/6/2007, in reply to message #103163
HandbagHandbag Boi
I missed the Saxon episode last week. Did it explain how the Master has returned (IIRC he was last seen on the catworld in Survival wasn't he?)? Or is it going to be revealed this week?
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Mike Message #103219, posted by MikeCarter at 19:51, 30/6/2007, in reply to message #103213
MikeCarter

Wow
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Andrew Poole Message #103220, posted by andypoole at 19:57, 30/6/2007, in reply to message #103219
andypoole
Mouse enthusiast
Web
Twitter

So. Last of the Time Lords, eh?
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Jeffrey Lee Message #103221, posted by Phlamethrower at 20:05, 30/6/2007, in reply to message #103220

This episode makes me want to punch RTD in the face. And then press a big button marked "RESET", and punch him some more. And then press the button again, and continue to hit him, but this time with golf clubs and other assorted instruments.

I had a feeling something like this could happen, the moment they mentioned that the TARDIS had been turned into a paradox machine.
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Andrew Message #103222, posted by andrew at 20:29, 30/6/2007, in reply to message #103221
HandbagHandbag Boi
This episode makes me want to punch RTD in the face. And then press a big button marked "RESET", and punch him some more. And then press the button again, and continue to hit him, but this time with golf clubs and other assorted instruments.

I had a feeling something like this could happen, the moment they mentioned that the TARDIS had been turned into a paradox machine.
What the hell was it all about?

And anoter thing, the episode guide on RT is broken so I can't catch up with previous series:

http://www.radiotimes.com/shows/doctor-who/episode-guide/
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Jeffrey Lee Message #103224, posted by Phlamethrower at 08:36, 1/7/2007, in reply to message #103222

The bits you missed from the previous episode were:

* The Doctor fixes Jack's time bracelet, allowing them to escape from the planet at the end of the universe and back to Earth
* It's revealed that before the Master stole the TARDIS, the Doctor managed to fuse the coordinates, meaning it was limited to travelling between present-day Earth and the planet at the end of the universe.
* We then discover that the Master == Mr. Saxon, and that he's just been elected as prime minister
* The Master's been driven a bit mad by the drums in his head, and has been working on a plan to unleash the Toclafane on Earth, use them to slaughter lots and lots of people, and create a new Time Lord empire. And have lots of fun along the way.
* In order to get the support of the public, he created a mobile phone network (Archangel), using satellites to transmit a telepathic signal across the globe. Apart from the signal generating public support for him, it also acted as a mask, hiding his time lord presence from the Doctor. (Otherwise he would have known instantly that the Master had been on Earth for the last 18 months or so)
* Upon realising this the Doctor was able to use some modified TARDIS keys to create low-level perception fields, allowing the gang to wander around Earth mostly un-noticed while they work out what to do
* They go up to the flying aircraft carrier, and attempt to use their perception fields to sneak up and capture the Master. But the fields don't work on him, and the Doctor ends up being captured instead.
* The Master uses his 'laser screwdriver' (which contains a miniature version of the age-reversal machine in the Lazarus Experiment. Which, apparently, was a trap laid for the Doctor by the Master) to age the Doctor to the point where he's unable to do anything to stop the Master
* But the Doctor does manage to whisper some advice to Martha, who then escapes back to the planet surface using Jack's time bracelet (which handily doubles as a teleporter)
* And of course the TARDIS has been turned into a paradox machine, which allows the Toclafane to be released and go on their killing spree (although we only discover in last night's ep what they were or where they came from).
* And Martha's family have been captured because (after realising Mr. Saxon was actually a bad man) they tried to warn her of the danger.

And the RT episode guide seems to be working again now!
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Andrew Message #103226, posted by andrew at 11:35, 1/7/2007, in reply to message #103224
HandbagHandbag Boi
That's clearer thanks smile
I read somewhere that the Master was the professor on Utopia?

That link appears to be broken in Netsurf/Fresco.

[Edited by andrew at 11:36, 1/7/2007]
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Jeffrey Lee Message #103227, posted by Phlamethrower at 12:03, 1/7/2007, in reply to message #103226

Yes - did you miss the big reveal at the end of that epsiode, or something?

Works for me! (Netsurf 1.0)
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Andrew Message #103232, posted by andrew at 17:01, 1/7/2007, in reply to message #103227
HandbagHandbag Boi
Yes - did you miss the big reveal at the end of that epsiode, or something?
Yes unhappy How did he get there was that explained?

Works for me! (Netsurf 1.0)I mean, try selecting season 2 in the menu and you get an error.
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Pages (4): |< < 3 > >|

Acorn Arcade forums: The Playpen: Doctor Woo