Register new account
Forgot password
Forum stats
List of members
Search the forums

Advanced search
Recent discussions
- Archive Edition 27:2 reviewed (News:)
- WROCC May 2024 meeting - Gerph talks games (News:)
- Drag'n'Drop 13i3 edition reviewed (News:1)
- Wakefield Show 2024 in Pictures (News:5)
- April 2024 News Summary (News:2)
- RISC OS 5.30 arrives (News:2)
- Upgrading your RISC OS system to 5.30 (News:2)
- WROCC May 2024 meeting on wednesday - Gerph talks games (News:)
- uniprint upgraded to 4.50 (News:)
- PhotoDesk 3.23 released (News:)
Latest postings RSS Feeds
RSS 2.0 | 1.0 | 0.9
Atom 0.3
Misc RDF | CDF

View on Mastodon
@www.iconbar.com@rss-parrot.net
Site Search

Article archives
Acorn Arcade forums: Games: How shall I waste my money?

How shall I waste my money?
  krisa (09:41 16/10/2007)
  monkeyson2 (10:33 16/10/2007)
  flibble (13:46 16/10/2007)

Kris Adcock Message #104792, posted by krisa at 09:41, 16/10/2007
Right, I've just hit a milestone birthday, and because I asked for money rather than the usual DVD list I've been given slightly more than I normally get.

So I'm considering blowing it on an expensive MP3/DivX player, or a games console. It'll be either a 360, a Wii, or a PSP (I already have a DS, and I'm not interested in a PS3.) I thought I'd ask here about the range of games on different consoles, and what readers prefer. I'm a 9-year veteran of the computer games industry, so I'm very aware of the relative specifications of the consoles - what I don't have much experience of is what kind of games are available for what consoles.

So: first, the 360. I always told myself I'd buy one when Halo3 was released (my attention span is quite short, so the fact that I actually played right through both Halo 1 and 2 shows how good they must be!) and I had quite an enjoyable game of Gears of War and Ghost Recon 2 at a friends last night, so that's favourable. However, I only have a 28-inch CRT TV, so I aint gonna be seeing the graphics at their best unless I blow another 600 quid or more on a new LCD TV. I also need to think about more "family friendly" games, because my four-year-old son is turning out to be a bit of a gadget freak and is going to be playing too.

Next, the Wii: I very nearly tagged this post on to the end of the Wiiiii! thread, and I know there are some big fans here. I've had a go with one; it's cute, fun, and my son loves it. However, aside from the odd occasion when friends are around, I am pretty-much a solitary gamer. It'll be nice to have wavey-wand games on occasion, but I'm an old-fashioned kind of guy and prefer my standard-controller based games where I only move the muscles in my fingers. smile Does the Wii have games like this, or are they all more energetic? I've noticed some titles released for many platforms simultaneously, so I'm guessing there are some games that work in the traditional way?

Anyone played the Metal Slug anthology on the Wii? I quite fancy that.

Lastly, there's the PSP: There's a newer, lighter one out, and the games seem to be going quite cheaply because the format isn't doing so well. I notice that the Metal Slug anthology for the PSP is selling for 8 quid in Sainsbury's! I can get most old titles from eBay from sellers less than 5 miles away from my house. I'm happy to blow "pocket-money" on games at this price! This console obviously has the "portable" benefit, and means I can take it to work or play it in bed. However, I do already have a DS (when my son lets me play it).

Can anyone recommend any good news sites that give half-decent reviews (and videos) of games for the above platforms? I've noticed a growing trend in box-art to show shots of video-sequences rather than actual gameplay, which always makes me suspicious. It means I don't feel I can gauge the quality of available titles just by looking at the boxes in Asda. unhappy

Or I could just buy one of the high-end Creative Zen MP3 players, which will let me watch my DivX collection from anywhere. Ah, there's never enough money ...

Sorry - this post has turned out to be rather longer than I thought it would be! Congrats to anyone who is still conscious at this point.

Cheers,

Kris.
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Phil Mellor Message #104795, posted by monkeyson2 at 10:33, 16/10/2007, in reply to message #104792
monkeyson2Please don't let them make me be a monkey butler

Next, the Wii: I very nearly tagged this post on to the end of the Wiiiii! thread, and I know there are some big fans here. I've had a go with one; it's cute, fun, and my son loves it. However, aside from the odd occasion when friends are around, I am pretty-much a solitary gamer. It'll be nice to have wavey-wand games on occasion, but I'm an old-fashioned kind of guy and prefer my standard-controller based games where I only move the muscles in my fingers. smile Does the Wii have games like this, or are they all more energetic? I've noticed some titles released for many platforms simultaneously, so I'm guessing there are some games that work in the traditional way?
I like single player games too - or multi player if the other players are in the room. Never liked online play.

There are enough excellent single player games out or on the way - Zelda, Resident Evil, Metroid Prime, Excite Truck, Super Paper Mario, Mario Galaxy, NiGHTS, Zack and Wiki (really looking forward to this one), Batallion Wars, Lego Star Wars (with Wii remote light saber action!). Smash Football and WarioWare are fun in both single and multiplayer modes.

As for energetic games - I want more of 'em! Lots use the pointing features, lots use small gestures (e.g. flicking the remote) - very few play like Wii Sports.

Lastly, there's the PSP: There's a newer, lighter one out, and the games seem to be going quite cheaply because the format isn't doing so well. I notice that the Metal Slug anthology for the PSP is selling for 8 quid in Sainsbury's! I can get most old titles from eBay from sellers less than 5 miles away from my house. I'm happy to blow "pocket-money" on games at this price! This console obviously has the "portable" benefit, and means I can take it to work or play it in bed. However, I do already have a DS (when my son lets me play it).
I don't think you need a PSP if you're getting a home console and already have a DS. There are two types of games - big ones that you play with over a long session (which the XBox/Wii will do better) and quick ones you play for a few minutes (which the DS does better). The PSP design compromises both game styles IMHO.

If you wanted it for playing movies or music, the iPod touch is much nicer. I found the PSP very fussy about the formats it would play (some things I'd encoded stopped working after a firmware update) and the D-pad/symbol buttons suck when navigating non-game interfaces. Or, as you say, get a Zen.
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Peter Howkins Message #104796, posted by flibble at 13:46, 16/10/2007, in reply to message #104792
flibble

Given the games that you said you've played and liked, I think the xbox360 might be the one for you.
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Acorn Arcade forums: Games: How shall I waste my money?