User accounts
Register new account
Forgot password
Forum stats
List of members
Search the forums

Advanced search
Recent discussions
- Upgrading your RISC OS system to 5.30 (News:1)
- Wakefield Show 2024 in Pictures (News:4)
- RISC OS 5.30 arrives (News:1)
- April 2024 News Summary (News:1)
- uniprint upgraded to 4.50 (News:)
- PhotoDesk 3.23 released (News:)
- R-Comp reveals N.Ex.T Boxes - the successor to the i.MX6 (News:)
- RISCOSbits at Wakefield Show 2024 (News:)
- R-Comp releases Genealogy v2 (News:)
- Will we see 5.30 released at Wakefield show? (News:1)
Latest postings RSS Feeds
RSS 2.0 | 1.0 | 0.9
Atom 0.3
Misc RDF | CDF

View on Mastodon
@www.iconbar.com@rss-parrot.net
Site Search

Article archives
Acorn Arcade forums: Games: Old Interactive Fiction...

Old Interactive Fiction...
  VincceH (11:42 18/12/2007)
  Phlamethrower (11:58 18/12/2007)
    VincceH (12:45 18/12/2007)
  VincceH (17:53 19/12/2007)
  VincceH (09:09 24/12/2007)
    VincceH (14:36 4/10/2008)

VinceH Message #105731, posted by VincceH at 11:42, 18/12/2007
VincceH
Lowering the tone since the dawn of time

I can't be bothered to find the older thread which effectively blogged the development of Quicksand...

It's been a chaotic couple of months* for me, with very little time to spare - the observant among us might have noticed slightly less frequent posting than usual from me here, on Drobe, on usenet and on mailing lists - though I've tried to keep up with reading all places where possible.

So, I've decided to go away this weekend to recover - somewhere South and West of here, away from anything work related (and in particular a complete 'fwit' of a client who has really irritated me); probably somewhere coastal, in Cornwall. Primarily, I'll be wandering around taking photographs.

And while driving to the office this morning, I thought "May as well take them with a game in mind, then."

I'm mainly thinking of one of the old demo games that were supplied with Trellis - The Purple Crystal of the Heavens. I've been thinking about updating both games for a while, but I'll start with the bigger one. (Because it'll be the easiest in terms of photos!)

It lacks decent pictures, with the ones it has being basic sprites, and mostly the same picture for most of the locations (generic hand drawn forest paths, generic hand drawn caves... etc). I'll be looking for pictures with that game in mind, and when I update it, I'll probably change the map and will look at the puzzles it contains which, if memory serves, were very simple (it was, after all, just a demo game - though with quite a big map IIRC).

Coming soon to a Soft Rock Software website near you...

*The chaotic couple of months explains why I've not yet released Seek'n'Link, and useable betas of WebChange won't be available by Christmas after all.
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Jeffrey Lee Message #105733, posted by Phlamethrower at 11:58, 18/12/2007, in reply to message #105731
PhlamethrowerHot Hot Hot Hot Hot Hot Hot Hot Hot Hot Hot Hot Hot stuff

I can't be bothered to find the older thread which effectively blogged the development of Quicksand...
It's behind you!
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

VinceH Message #105734, posted by VincceH at 12:45, 18/12/2007, in reply to message #105733
VincceH

It's behind you!
Oh wow, look, there's a thing for searching the forums. I never noticed that before - I usually go into the forums and drill down into threads that look like plausible candidtates for what I'm looking for. blush
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

VinceH Message #105752, posted by VincceH at 17:53, 19/12/2007, in reply to message #105731
VincceH

though with quite a big map IIRC
Or not.

Only 88 locations, it seems.

Still. Has to be done...
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

VinceH Message #105787, posted by VincceH at 09:09, 24/12/2007, in reply to message #105731
VincceH

I'm mainly thinking of one of the old demo games that were supplied with Trellis - The Purple Crystal of the Heavens. I've been thinking about updating both games for a while, but I'll start with the bigger one. (Because it'll be the easiest in terms of photos!)
In fact, I think rather than a simple update to give it photos and generally overhaul the descriptions and script, and improve the puzzles etc, this is actually going to be a "re-imagining". To start with, the player was originally a crewman on a pirate ship - now he's going to be an Indiana Jones type character... so I need a name. How about Aberystwyth Smith?
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

VinceH Message #108479, posted by VincceH at 14:36, 4/10/2008, in reply to message #105787
VincceH

Earlier today I noticed my parents/brother's Yorkshire Terrier sat on their armchair in such a way that it looks as though he thinks he's human. I grabbed their tv remote, put it on the arm of the chair, and took a photo.

I did this with one thought in mind: in an adventure game, possibly the one mooted above (which I've taken almost no further because, to use what really should be my catchphrase, I've been a bit busy) the player could walk into a room and encounter a talking dog, who happens to be sitting in his favourite armchair watching TV.

Somewhere in my collection of photos, I also have a stuffed squirrel that I positioned on the edge of a desk so that it looks like it's sat working at a computer.

Also, on that memory stick I mentioned earlier, it looks as though at some point I re-thought the name Aberystwyth Smith to become Worcester Smith and started the thought process - hence "almost no further" above. The text I found says:

Worcester Smith

Worcester's name isn't Worcester, and he actually comes from a small town in Dorset - it's just a nickname he got when he was younger, after an incident with a bottle of Worcester Sauce. It was suitably embarassing, and not something he ever likes to discuss - but the name stuck, in an Indiana Jones type of way. And in that same type of way, it became quite appropriate since he grew up to become an archeaologist and, in a world with not much left unexplored, a leading explorer.

This is the first of the Worcester Smith Adventures...

In Worcester Smith and the Purple Crystal of the Heavens, you take on the role of the eponymous hero, and must guide him in his quest to find the legendary crystal of the title. It's a crystal who's origins are so mythical that even the people who made up all the legends and myths that you can read about in the local library, or watch films about on a Saturday afternoon on many obscure cable and satelite tv channels, hadn't included it in one, because, they said, it was just too unbelievable.
Those two pictures might not end up in that game - and to be fair, that game might never happen. But I thought I'd mention what I did, what was at the back of my mind, and what I found. smile
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Acorn Arcade forums: Games: Old Interactive Fiction...