User accounts
Register new account
Forgot password
Forum stats
List of members
Search the forums

Advanced search
Recent discussions
- Prizes for Wakefield Show announced (News:)
- Heretic update from R-Comp (News:)
- Wakefield Show 2024 is next Saturday (News:)
- Git client updated to 0.07 (News:2)
- Archive Edition 27:1 reviewed (News:)
- Rougol April 2024 meeting on monday is Anniversary time (News:1)
- WROCC April 2024 meeting o...changes to our phone lines (News:1)
- April developer 'fireside' chat is on saturday night (News:)
- March 2024 News Summary (News:4)
- WROCC Newsletter Volume 41:11 reviewed (News:)
Latest postings RSS Feeds
RSS 2.0 | 1.0 | 0.9
Atom 0.3
Misc RDF | CDF

View on Mastodon
@www.iconbar.com@rss-parrot.net
Site Search

Article archives
Acorn Arcade forums: Games: Worcester Smith and the Purple Crystal of the Heavens

Worcester Smith and the Purple Crystal of the Heavens
  This is a long thread. Click here to view the threaded list.

Sion Message #118290, posted by apacketofsweets at 01:37, 14/7/2011, in reply to message #118199
apacketofsweets
RISC OS, too cool for Javascript.

A little birdy tells me that a shiny new version of Quicksand/Trellis was seen running in a window at last Saturday's show. Any idea when we'll be able to download these updates?
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

VinceH Message #118293, posted by VincceH at 12:16, 14/7/2011, in reply to message #118290
VincceH
Lowering the tone since the dawn of time

The little birdy was a bit slow - you could have found out about the new version of Quicksand by reading my last few posts to this thread, or my account of the show. tongue

There are still a few things for me to look at - some being things I'd like to do with it, some being things I need to in order to make it acceptable for release. I'll look at the latter first, since those issues are fairly trivial, and I'll then upload it; but I wouldn't like to say when - other than hopefully not too long.
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Martin Bazley Message #118295, posted by swirlythingy at 12:38, 14/7/2011, in reply to message #118196

After a bad start last week, when I was in no condition whatsoever to do any programming*
Just wondering... what was the asterisk in this post meant to represent?
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

VinceH Message #118296, posted by VincceH at 13:50, 14/7/2011, in reply to message #118295
VincceH

After a bad start last week, when I was in no condition whatsoever to do any programming*
Just wondering... what was the asterisk in this post meant to represent?
I was probably going to explain in a footnote why I was in no state to do any programming. Something along the lines of:

On that Friday (1st July), I had planned to disappear for a nice long walk in the Brecons. I had a really bad night's sleep, though, so got up utterly exhausted and with a massive headache. I was in no fit state to drive, so with an unplanned day at home I decided to have a look at ZapRedraw with a view to using it in Trellis.

The problem was that because of how tired I was, I just couldn't program at all - I was failing to do even simple things. This was getting me more and more annoyed, and therefore stressed, which was making the headache worse, and in turn making it even more difficult for me to get anything working. Saturday wasn't much better - and, although I was feeling more human again by Sunday, I didn't actually have much time that day.

If anything, a nice long walk in the Brecons would have been just what the doctor ordered on that Friday (and I'd probably have been better able to do some programming on the Saturday) - apart from the slight problem of getting there.
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

VinceH Message #120108, posted by VincceH at 16:05, 17/4/2012, in reply to message #108959
VincceH

There's a coastal path which follows the outline of the island, and leads down to a couple of the beaches; that path alone is (based on the grid) is 40 locations, the beaches look like they'll account for another 15-20 locations and the unmapped central part of the island (ie the unused grid) amounts to 30 locations - so that's 85-90 locations before I even start on what's underneath the island; the cave system.
I think I might have miscounted those locations.

I've now put numbers on each [potential] location, and the actual total is 132. As I said in an earlier post, that's just the surface area of the island and doesn't include a cave system*, so the final number of locations in the game will be higher, although some grid spaces might not get used in the end.

Tomorrow, I'm going to look at possibly putting together a 'walk around' - just of the coastal path, but the reason is because I want to add a feature Trellis whereby it will put a portrait picture down one side of the display, rather than across the top as it does for landscape format pics. Not a difficult task, but I do have to decide on an aspect ratio that 'works' in terms of the size of the game window and leaves the text area a sensible width.

I think I wrote the text bit to cope with different widths/heights, so I won't have to mess around with that - just tell it what width/height to use when the picture is portrait format.

* Last year I visited an old mine that's now open to the public, up in the Forest of Dean... and when I planned that visit, I was deliberately thinking of cave photos for use in the game. Then, on the day I went, I forgot to take my camera. blush
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Pages (2): |< < 2

Acorn Arcade forums: Games: Worcester Smith and the Purple Crystal of the Heavens