User accounts
Register new account
Forgot password
Forum stats
List of members
Search the forums

Advanced search
Recent discussions
- Upgrading your RISC OS system to 5.30 (News:2)
- WROCC May 2024 meeting on wednesday - Gerph talks games (News:)
- Wakefield Show 2024 in Pictures (News:4)
- RISC OS 5.30 arrives (News:1)
- April 2024 News Summary (News:1)
- uniprint upgraded to 4.50 (News:)
- PhotoDesk 3.23 released (News:)
- R-Comp reveals N.Ex.T Boxes - the successor to the i.MX6 (News:)
- RISCOSbits at Wakefield Show 2024 (News:)
- R-Comp releases Genealogy v2 (News:)
Latest postings RSS Feeds
RSS 2.0 | 1.0 | 0.9
Atom 0.3
Misc RDF | CDF

View on Mastodon
@www.iconbar.com@rss-parrot.net
Site Search

Article archives
Acorn Arcade forums: Programming: I hate bugs in stuff that I haven't written

I hate bugs in stuff that I haven't written
  This is a long thread. Click here to view the threaded list.

Phlamethrower Message #4947, posted at 20:32, 8/3/2002, in reply to message #4946
Unregistered user Everybody get out of the playpen and answer this post damnit!
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Mark Quint Message #4950, posted by ToiletDuck at 19:35, 9/3/2002, in reply to message #4949
Ooh ducky!Quack Quack
/me runs & hides in the playpen
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Phlamethrower Message #4957, posted at 19:03, 15/3/2002, in reply to message #4956
Unregistered user Have you had a chance to try it out yet?
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

monkeyson Message #4958, posted at 19:26, 15/3/2002, in reply to message #4957
Unregistered user I quickly had a go on this linux box at uni, and it seemed to be doing the errors here too.

I'd guess it's the program not the libraries.

^[ Log in to reply ]

Phlamethrower Message #4959, posted at 18:14, 16/3/2002, in reply to message #4958
Unregistered user OK, now that's a bit strange. As far as I can tell the program does everything that the file handling code should do, so unless I've misunderstood something somewhere it should be working fine...

In fact I'm 100% sure that my code is correct - after all, when the code reads the file while it's being written, it returns -1 for the values (i.e. an error has occured). It can't be an EOF error since it's right near the start of the file, so it must be something else...

^[ Log in to reply ]

davidb Message #4960, posted at 10:27, 18/3/2002, in reply to message #4959
Unregistered user
In fact I'm 100% sure that my code is correct - after all, when the code reads the file while it's being written, it returns -1 for the values (i.e. an error has occured). It can't be an EOF error since it's right near the start of the file, so it must be something else...

Your program writes unsigned values to the file using fputc and the values in memory are treated as signed values. You'll notice that each pair of values that disagree satisfy the condition

file_value - mem_value = 256

^[ Log in to reply ]

Phlamethrower Message #4961, posted at 19:09, 18/3/2002, in reply to message #4960
Unregistered user Although I wouldn't put it past myself to be that stupid, changing the memory copy of the file to store unsigned chars doesn't fix the problem. I also changed it so that 'val', the variable passed to fputc/from fgetc is also an unsigned char, with no effect whatsoever on the output.

Also your condition isn't true; on my computer the log file lists the following (Complete with half-a**ed attempt to align the text):

FILE MEM POS
0 172 12
0 173 13
2 of 42716 incorrect

If you're talking about the -1's filedebug reports as being read, then you're still wrong since fgetc is meant to return an int; 0-255 for a normal value, and -1 (the value of EOF) for an error. Unfortunately C doesn't seem to have any way of reading what that error is, only whether it's there or not. A quick change of the program reveals that when fgetc returns -1, ferror returns that there is an error. Trying to clear the error using clearerr only results in feof saying the end of file's been reached.

Also checking errno doesn't reveal anything useful.

I'll have a look and see whether I can simplify the test a bit.

^[ Log in to reply ]

davidb Message #4962, posted at 09:37, 19/3/2002, in reply to message #4961
Unregistered user
Although I wouldn't put it past myself to be that stupid, changing the memory copy of the file to store unsigned chars doesn't fix the problem. I also changed it so that 'val', the variable passed to fputc/from fgetc is also an unsigned char, with no effect whatsoever on the output.

fputc should cast the integer to an unsigned char anyway.

Also your condition isn't true; on my computer the log file lists the following (Complete with half-a**ed attempt to align the text):

FILE MEM POS
0 172 12
0 173 13
2 of 42716 incorrect

I think we have established that the problem I experience with your code is different to the one that you have. The log file here includes the following:

FILE MEM POS
172 -84 12
164 -92 13
188 -68 16
180 -76 42640
188 -68 42644
139 -117 42701
87 of 42716 incorrect

This is using gcc version 2.96 20000731 on a recent Linux setup.

If you're talking about the -1's filedebug reports as being read, then you're still wrong since fgetc is meant to return an int; 0-255 for a normal value, and -1 (the value of EOF) for an error. Unfortunately C doesn't seem to have any way of reading what that error is, only whether it's there or not. A quick change of the program reveals that when fgetc returns -1, ferror returns that there is an error. Trying to clear the error using clearerr only results in feof saying the end of file's been reached.

I think that we are looking at different parts of the code. I wasn't looking at the possibility of EOF being returned, just at the results which were written to the log file.

Now, if I change the declaration

char *mem;

to

unsigned char *mem;

and the assignment

mem = new char[SIZE];

to

mem = new unsigned char[SIZE];

then recompiling and running produces the following log file:

FILE MEM POS
0 of 42716 incorrect

So assuming all went correctly, the problem is solved, on this machine at least.

Now we need to know whether it works as expected on RISC OS using UnixLib and Clib.

^[ Log in to reply ]

Phlamethrower Message #4963, posted at 16:39, 20/3/2002, in reply to message #4962
Unregistered user The changes you list don't have any effect on RISC OS GCC 2.95.4 & CLib module 5.17. UnixLib doesn't have a problem with any of the settings I've tried.
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Phlamethrower Message #4965, posted at 17:39, 20/3/2002, in reply to message #4964
Unregistered user Yay. A couple of weeks ago I posted a libfile bug to the GCC bug tracker, but that hasn't had any responses yet. Also the mailing list seems to be inactive, so I dunno when it'll get answered if I post on there.

I've posted it to their bug tracker anyway. If it gets no response in a week or two then I'll use the mailing list.

^[ Log in to reply ]

monkeyson Message #4966, posted at 17:45, 20/3/2002, in reply to message #4964
Unregistered user I have the solution! I think!

It's the checking bit afterwards.

for (num=0;num<fs;num++)
{
val = fgetc(f);
if ((val != mem[num]) && (set[num] != 0))
{
fprintf(stderr, "MONKEYTEST %d != %d\n", val, mem[num]);
}
if (((char)val != mem[num]) && (set[num] != 0)) // THIS MODIFICATION MAKES IT WORK
{
fprintf(log,"%3d %3d %d\n",val,mem[num],num);
pos++;
}
}

fgetc() returns the character as an unsigned char cast to an int. It seems that you have to cast this int back to a char when you do the comparison with mem[num].

The file reading stuff is correct, it's validation that screws up.

^[ Log in to reply ]

monkeyson Message #4967, posted at 17:47, 20/3/2002, in reply to message #4966
Unregistered user And I think printing things out as %u rather than %d might help. I dunno.
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Phlamethrower Message #4968, posted at 17:50, 20/3/2002, in reply to message #4966
Unregistered user But that doesn't fix the problem as to why fputc returns errors and the file is written wrong.
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

monkeyson Message #4969, posted at 18:02, 20/3/2002, in reply to message #4968
Unregistered user Okay, try this:
for (num=0;num<fs;num++)
{
val = fgetc(f);
printf("value read = %d, memory = %d\n",(unsigned char)val,(unsigned char)mem[num]);
if (((char)val != mem[num]) && (set[num] != 0))
{
fprintf(log,"%d %d %d\n",val,mem[num],num);
pos++;
}
}

cslin221% cat log
FILE MEM POS
0 of 42716 incorrect

^[ Log in to reply ]

Phlamethrower Message #4970, posted at 18:07, 20/3/2002, in reply to message #4969
Unregistered user That still won't fix the problems!!

There may be some problems in my the file checking code, but the real problem which we are trying to track down/fix is in the shared c library!

^[ Log in to reply ]

Phlamethrower Message #4973, posted at 16:17, 21/3/2002, in reply to message #4972
Unregistered user A quick check would be nice, to make sure it's not just my computer.
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Phlamethrower Message #4975, posted at 21:10, 6/4/2002, in reply to message #4974
Unregistered user I think I may have tracked down the problem, which now appears to be in unixlib as well!

The problem seems to be triggered by writing some data just after some has been read (i.e. no fseek inbetween).

The SharedCLibrary will start returning errors from fputc, and will fail to write anything else to the file. Unixlib on the other hand appears to write the first byte, but then fail to write any other bytes (Without returning any errors at all). By writing my own file handling code, I've been able to ascertain that it is a bug in unixlib/the shared c library, and not my program or the filing system.

Tomorrow I'll release some code to demonstrate this.

^[ Log in to reply ]

jmb Message #4977, posted at 17:12, 8/4/2002, in reply to message #4976
Unregistered user Just compiled it using the win32 verson of gcc & standard libraries.

This is the log file:

File handling log

Machine/program/compiler details:

Compiled on Apr 8 2002 at 17:09:16
GNU C version 2.95.3-5 (cygwin special)

Actions performed:

Action | Data | Memory | C | OK?
----------------------------------
fseek | 1 | 0 | 0 | YES
write | 1 | 1 | 1 | YES
write | 2 | 2 | 2 | YES
fseek | 0 | 0 | 0 | YES
write | 3 | 3 | 3 | YES
fseek | 1 | 0 | 0 | YES
read | ---- | 1 | 1 | YES
write | 4 | 4 | 4 | YES
fseek | 0 | 0 | 0 | YES
write | 5 | 5 | 5 | YES

Check output:

File pos | Memory | C | OK?
------------------------------
0 | 5 | 5 | YES
1 | 1 | 1 | YES
2 | 4 | 2 | NO

Total 1 of 3 wrong

HTH

^[ Log in to reply ]

Phlamethrower Message #4978, posted at 17:19, 8/4/2002, in reply to message #4977
Unregistered user Interesting...

Well, thanks for the help.

If the bug appears on RISC OS, Linux and Windows then I'd guess it's somehow a bug in GCC. Can someone try compiling it on something other than GCC?

^[ Log in to reply ]

Phlamethrower Message #4979, posted at 17:29, 8/4/2002, in reply to message #4978
Unregistered user I've just downloaded lcc, so I'll have some results in a couple of minutes...
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Phlamethrower Message #4980, posted at 17:45, 8/4/2002, in reply to message #4979
Unregistered user The results from lcc are exactly the same as the results from gcc - gcc+clib produces the same results as lcc+clib, and gcc+unixlib produces the same as lcc+unixlib. So apart from there being some glaringly obvious mistake in my code, the only other reason I can think of is that the 'original' version of gcc (Or whatever gcc got the code from) had bugs in its library, which were then copied into every other platform gcc was ported to - it's reasonable to assume that Acorn, Microsoft, etc. all modified the standard GCC libraries to come up with the variants on their own OS's. I'll have a word with the GCC peeps...
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

jmb Message #4981, posted at 18:29, 8/4/2002, in reply to message #4980
Unregistered user As an alternative, I compiled it with the free Borland win32 compiler.

Logfile follows:

File handling log

Machine/program/compiler details:

Compiled on Apr 8 2002 at 18:26:24

Actions performed:

Action | Data | Memory | C | OK?
----------------------------------
fseek | 1 | 0 | 0 | YES
write | 1 | 1 | 1 | YES
write | 2 | 2 | 2 | YES
fseek | 0 | 0 | 0 | YES
write | 3 | 3 | 3 | YES
fseek | 1 | 0 | 0 | YES
read | ---- | 1 | 1 | YES
write | 4 | 4 | -1 | NO
fseek | 0 | 0 | 0 | YES
write | 5 | 5 | -1 | NO

Check output:

File pos | Memory | C | OK?
------------------------------
0 | 5 | 3 | NO
1 | 1 | 1 | YES
2 | 4 | 2 | NO

Total 2 of 3 wrong

^[ Log in to reply ]

Phlamethrower Message #4984, posted at 19:20, 8/4/2002, in reply to message #4983
Unregistered user Guess what my first message from the GCC bug list was - some fool has signed the gcc list up for the 'padaiyappa' Yahoo mailing list, 'San Francisco Bay Area's Hottest Music Band'

Ah, the humor.

^[ Log in to reply ]

pnaulls Message #4985, posted at 12:22, 18/4/2002, in reply to message #4980
Unregistered user
The results from lcc are exactly the same as the results from gcc - gcc+clib produces the same results as lcc+clib, and gcc+unixlib produces the same as lcc+unixlib. So apart from there being some glaringly obvious mistake in my code, the only other reason I can think of is that the 'original' version of gcc (Or whatever gcc got the code from) had bugs in its library, which were then copied into every other platform gcc was ported to - it's reasonable to assume that Acorn, Microsoft, etc. all modified the standard GCC libraries to come up with the variants on their own OS's. I'll have a word with the GCC peeps...

With respect, your logic is absolute rubbish.

I can't think of any reason at all that Acorn or MS would be going anywhere near GCC's libraries - either its runtime support, or in the case of RISC OS, Unixlib. Acorn's SharedCLibrary is an _entirely_ different library implementation. Equal comments apply to any MS C version you care to name.

Almost certainly the fault is in your own code - this is very easy to assume given the nature of C

One of the first rules of programming is "the library is not buggy".

Note, I'm not ruling out any possibility; I'm just asking you to first presume the obvious.

Peter

^[ Log in to reply ]

Phlamethrower Message #4986, posted at 16:26, 18/4/2002, in reply to message #4985
Unregistered user I've pretty much presumed the obvious to death. The fact that some RISC OS file handling code/memory code and the C library code produce different results either means there is some obscure clause in the library meaning my code isn't meant to work, or there is a bug somewhere. As of yet I haven't heard anything from the GCC mailing list. If I can find the time, I'll have a look for some source to a library and poke around in that.
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

pnaulls Message #4987, posted at 11:01, 19/4/2002, in reply to message #4986
Unregistered user
I've pretty much presumed the obvious to death. The fact that some RISC OS file handling code/memory code and the C library code produce different results either means there is some obscure clause in the library meaning my code isn't meant to work, or there is a bug somewhere. As of yet I haven't heard anything from the GCC mailing list. If I can find the time, I'll have a look for some source to a library and poke around in that.

I'm afraid your logic continues to make little sense. I can't do anything but boggle :-|

If, as you say, the fault is in the library (or libraries), then it has absolutely _nothing_ to do with GCC, since it's not a compiler issue. As I've tried to explain in my previous message, the library is a completely different entity to the compiler. As such, you're not going to get any sympathy from any GCC list (except maybe the RISC OS one, but you haven't joined that).

Peter, boggled.

^[ Log in to reply ]

Phlamethrower Message #4988, posted at 14:58, 15/6/2002, in reply to message #4987
Unregistered user Don't worry - I've worked it out now.

While looking through the PRMs last night, I noticed the following:

When a file is opened with update mode (+ as the second or third character in the mode argument), both input and output must be performed on the associated stream. However, output must not be directly followed by input without an intervening call to the fflush function or to a file positioning function (fseek, fsetpos, or rewind), nor may input be directly followed by output without an intervening call to the fflush function or to a file positioning function, unless the operation encounters end-of-file.

I hate ANSI. I really do unhappy

^[ Log in to reply ]

Phlamethrower Message #4982, posted at 14:58, 15/6/2002, in reply to message #4981
Unregistered user Thanks - more ammunition to use smile

I'm still fiddling round with it now, just creating a nice platform independent file. I'll include your two logfiles, as well as other bits of info I've collected.

^[ Log in to reply ]

jmb Message #4983, posted at 14:58, 15/6/2002, in reply to message #4982
Unregistered user I'll give it a go on Visual C++ 6 next week. It's on my other box smile
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

moss Message #4956, posted at 14:58, 15/6/2002, in reply to message #4954
Unregistered user
I'll have a look for you Monday evening if you want, and post the results Tuesday.

Thanks Moss - at least then I'll know whether it's just me who's going crazy

Haven't done it yet - my disc corrupted unhappy I'll post the results tomorrow.
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Pages (2): 1 > >|

Acorn Arcade forums: Programming: I hate bugs in stuff that I haven't written