Forgot password
Forum stats
List of members
Search the forums

Advanced search
Recent discussions
- Git client updated to 0.07 (News:2)
- Archive Edition 27:1 reviewed (News:)
- Rougol April 2024 meeting on monday is Anniversary time (News:1)
- WROCC April 2024 meeting o...changes to our phone lines (News:1)
- April developer 'fireside' chat is on saturday night (News:)
- March 2024 News Summary (News:4)
- WROCC Newsletter Volume 41:11 reviewed (News:)
- WROCC March 2024 meeting o... Hughes and Peter Richmond (News:1)
- Rougol March 2024 meeting on monday with Bernard Boase (News:)
- Drag'n'Drop 13i2 edition reviewed (News:)
Latest postings RSS Feeds
RSS 2.0 | 1.0 | 0.9
Atom 0.3
Misc RDF | CDF

View on Mastodon
@www.iconbar.com@rss-parrot.net
Site Search

Article archives
Acorn Arcade forums: Site Comments: Nice one

Nice one
  This is a long thread. Click here to view the threaded list.

jukebox Message #5678, posted at 20:25, 1/1/2001, in reply to message #5677
Unregistered user call me funny dudy if you like, but i liked the old way. i think the only thing that was wrong with it, was it did not have a back to forum or back to top page.
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

jukebox Message #5679, posted at 20:28, 1/1/2001, in reply to message #5678
Unregistered user
call me funny dudy if you like, but i liked the old way. i think the only thing that was wrong with it, was it did not have a back to forum or back to top page tab on.
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

jukebox Message #5680, posted at 20:31, 1/1/2001, in reply to message #5679
Unregistered user where's Edit Message gone
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

alpha Message #5681, posted at 22:43, 1/1/2001, in reply to message #5680
Unregistered user It's still there... What was it about the old way that you preferred?
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

senduran Message #5682, posted at 02:44, 2/1/2001, in reply to message #5681
Unregistered user I've been meaning to ask this for ages, but _how_ do you edit a post? I'm obviously being a little dim here, so explain it to me in little words please!
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

rich Message #5683, posted at 09:48, 2/1/2001, in reply to message #5682
Unregistered user Click on "Edit" (as it is now) and you get a text box with your original posting in it. Change the text and re-post it.
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

rich Message #5684, posted at 09:51, 2/1/2001, in reply to message #5678
Unregistered user
call me funny dudy if you like, but i liked the old way. i think the only thing that was wrong with it, was it did not have a back to forum or back to top page tab on.

It's always had a back to forum mechanism - in the top left, just above where it says what username you're logged in as. Click on "Site comments" where it says "The Icon Bar discussions forums: Site comments: Nice one" and you'll go back to the forum.

[Edited by rich at 09:52, 2/1/2001]
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

alpha Message #5685, posted at 10:00, 2/1/2001, in reply to message #5682
Unregistered user
I've been meaning to ask this for ages, but _how_ do you edit a post? I'm obviously being a little dim here, so explain it to me in little words please!

The edit link will only appear at the bottom of your messages if you're logged in.

^[ Log in to reply ]

senduran Message #5686, posted at 00:14, 3/1/2001, in reply to message #5685
Unregistered user
I've been meaning to ask this for ages, but _how_ do you edit a post? I'm obviously being a little dim here, so explain it to me in little words please!

The edit link will only appear at the bottom of your messages if you're logged in.

Ah! That's what I was missing. I'll find out soon enough, but I hope I stay logged in between sessions and don't need to keep logging in every time I visit the site.

^[ Log in to reply ]

jukebox Message #5687, posted at 22:45, 3/1/2001, in reply to message #5686
Unregistered user nice to use me as an example,
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

jukebox Message #5688, posted at 22:51, 3/1/2001, in reply to message #5687
Unregistered user
nice to use me as an example, loged in, i am now confused.
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

jukebox Message #5689, posted at 22:58, 3/1/2001, in reply to message #5688
Unregistered user
nice to use me as an example,

loged in, i am now confused, no edit tag.

i got it, no edit tag so click reply to quote and brackets guote come on the message instead. now you can edit message.

^[ Log in to reply ]

jukebox Message #5690, posted at 23:21, 3/1/2001, in reply to message #5681
Unregistered user To webmaster

The old ways looked very impressive to new comers and makes it look more popular.

You could scroll up and down to refer to other people’s messages then add your comment. Now you have to go backwards and forwards through pages to get a good idea what people are saying, e.g. how old are you (entertaining).

The topic of discussions is ideal but when they go of the rails and talk of something else, which’s when the forum becomes too long.

For those who have a roller middle button like PCs, it’s not much a problem. For those who do not could do with a tag after every message, one to return to forums and another to return to top of page

^[ Log in to reply ]

alpha Message #5692, posted at 03:09, 4/1/2001, in reply to message #5689
Unregistered user
i got it, no edit tag so click reply to quote and brackets guote come on the message instead. now you can edit message.

That's not editing the message, that's posting a reply which has the original text in.

Are you sure you're logged in? "Logged in as jukebox" should appear under where it says "The Icon Bar discussion forums" near the top of the page.

^[ Log in to reply ]

alpha Message #5693, posted at 03:12, 4/1/2001, in reply to message #5690
Unregistered user
You could scroll up and down to refer to other people’s messages then add your comment. Now you have to go backwards and forwards through pages to get a good idea what people are saying

The message you're replying to is displayed above the box you type into, so unless you're combining replies into one message this shouldn't be much of a problem.

The long threads need need to be split in some way, as very long ones like that "New StrongARM" one in the general forum was just getting ridiculous. The threaded list becomes a jumbled mess, and the page takes forever to load.

For those who have a roller middle button like PCs, it’s not much a problem. For those who do not could do with a tag after every message, one to return to forums and another to return to top of page

There's a link to return to the forums at the top of the page, but a link after each message to take you back to the top might be and idea... not sure where it'd go though.

^[ Log in to reply ]

rich Message #5694, posted at 11:21, 4/1/2001, in reply to message #5693
Unregistered user
There's a link to return to the forums at the top of the page, but a link after each message to take you back to the top might be and idea... not sure where it'd go though.

A little up arrow in the "posted by" line, or the "reply to this message" line of the table would be unobstrusive but easy to get at... (right-aligned so it doesn't interfere with the existing text of course).

^[ Log in to reply ]

jukebox Message #5695, posted at 12:49, 6/1/2001, in reply to message #5692
Unregistered user Ok loged in now. loged in sucseful and clicked back to forum, no tital as "Logged in as jukebox" on top of page. woops something has gone wrong. i noticed this before. what?
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

alpha Message #5696, posted at 15:50, 6/1/2001, in reply to message #5695
Unregistered user Hmm. What browser are you using, and are you sure you don't have cookies disabled for some reason?
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Dave Message #5699, posted at 00:26, 7/1/2001, in reply to message #5698
Unregistered user Then do the logical thing and put it at the bottom of the message - on the bar with the reply to this message link but right aligned.
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

jukebox Message #5701, posted at 17:12, 7/1/2001, in reply to message #5696
Unregistered user
Hmm. What browser are you using, and are you sure you don't have cookies disabled for some reason?

Internet Explorer 5, and cookies is on.
Allthough i have restarted the PC from scratch.

^[ Log in to reply ]

alpha Message #5702, posted at 18:14, 7/1/2001, in reply to message #5701
Unregistered user Are you still having the same problem? There's nothing wrong with the cookie code, and I use MSIE 5 as well, so I can't think what to suggest.
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

jess Message #5703, posted at 19:05, 7/1/2001, in reply to message #5702
Unregistered user Can the page 1, 2 etc links be larger? Very fiddly on WXL.
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

jukebox Message #5704, posted at 22:37, 7/1/2001, in reply to message #5702
Unregistered user
Are you still having the same problem? There's nothing wrong with the cookie code, and I use MSIE 5 as well, so I can't think what to suggest.

Yep. but then againe i don't know much about the PC set ups, I have to ask my son. i only use the PC for the internet and napster.
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

alpha Message #5707, posted at 13:00, 10/1/2001, in reply to message #5706
Unregistered user Okay, how's that?
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

jess Message #5708, posted at 15:47, 10/1/2001, in reply to message #5707
Unregistered user Good.

Would we be able to have a next page link next to it on bottom box of page?
And Last page on the top one?

^[ Log in to reply ]

alpha Message #5700, posted at 14:58, 15/6/2002, in reply to message #5699
Unregistered user Looks like that's the popular vote. Right aligned will require another nested table though, which means on sites like AA we'll have 3 (4?) levels of nested tables. It's times like these I'm glad I'm not still using Fresco on my A7000... shock
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

rich Message #5706, posted at 14:58, 15/6/2002, in reply to message #5700
Unregistered user
Looks like that's the popular vote. Right aligned will require another nested table though, which means on sites like AA we'll have 3 (4?) levels of nested tables. It's times like these I'm glad I'm not still using Fresco on my A7000... shock

Your don't need another table - just right-align the image in the existing "posted by" cell.

^[ Log in to reply ]

Steve Message #5705, posted at 14:58, 15/6/2002, in reply to message #5698
Unregistered user
But if someone had posted a long message, you'd have to scroll up a bit to get to the up arrow. Which sort of defeats the object smile.

I did say that my brain was not in full working order... wink

Now that I watched 12 monkeys last night, I'm even more confused...

^[ Log in to reply ]

[Steve] Message #5691, posted at 14:58, 15/6/2002, in reply to message #5690
Unregistered user Woohoo! I entertained someone grin

Indirectly cool

^[ Log in to reply ]

alpha Message #5698, posted at 14:58, 15/6/2002, in reply to message #5697
Unregistered user But if someone had posted a long message, you'd have to scroll up a bit to get to the up arrow. Which sort of defeats the object smile.
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Pages (2): 1 > >|

Acorn Arcade forums: Site Comments: Nice one