Register new account
Forgot password
Forum stats
List of members
Search the forums

Advanced search
Recent discussions
- Archive Edition 27:2 reviewed (News:)
- Rougol May 2024 meeting on monday with Andy Vawer (News:1)
- WROCC May 2024 meeting - Gerph talks games (News:)
- Drag'n'Drop 13i3 edition reviewed (News:1)
- Wakefield Show 2024 in Pictures (News:5)
- April 2024 News Summary (News:2)
- RISC OS 5.30 arrives (News:2)
- Upgrading your RISC OS system to 5.30 (News:2)
- WROCC May 2024 meeting on wednesday - Gerph talks games (News:)
- uniprint upgraded to 4.50 (News:)
Latest postings RSS Feeds
RSS 2.0 | 1.0 | 0.9
Atom 0.3
Misc RDF | CDF

View on Mastodon
@www.iconbar.com@rss-parrot.net
Site Search

Article archives
Acorn Arcade forums: Site Comments: banners.iconbar.com

banners.iconbar.com
  (19:31 25/5/2002)
  AndrewDuffell (14:58 15/6/2002)
    Matthew (14:58 15/6/2002)
        Phlamethrower (14:58 15/6/2002)
                  john (14:58 15/6/2002)
                      john (14:58 15/6/2002)
                          john (14:55 31/5/2002)
                            AndrewDuffell (17:26 31/5/2002)

Matthew Message #6381, posted at 19:31, 25/5/2002
Unregistered user How does the banners.iconbar.com banner redirection actually work? Because I'm being redirected to a different site from the ad being shown...

<time passes>

Ah, it's because I'd visited a different site which had a different banner on it, then went back (by switching windows, not clicking the Back button) and clicked on the old banner, which redirected me to the new banner's site. Surely that shouldn't be happening?

^[ Log in to reply ]

john Message #6395, posted at 14:55, 31/5/2002, in reply to message #6394
Unregistered user Hmm, I thought oregano always used the same image in emmeory for any given URL, maybe not in this case.
I was aware of the possibility of the problem, since I /was/ leaving it up to the client to let me know what banner was displayed, but I couldn't think of any way round it. O fcourse solutions would be welcome.

Thanks

^[ Log in to reply ]

AndrewDuffell Message #6396, posted at 17:26, 31/5/2002, in reply to message #6395
Unregistered user I don't think it is possible, John.
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

AndrewDuffell Message #6382, posted at 14:58, 15/6/2002, in reply to message #6381
Unregistered user
How does the banners.iconbar.com banner redirection actually work? Because I'm being redirected to a different site from the ad being shown...

<time passes>

Ah, it's because I'd visited a different site which had a different banner on it, then went back (by switching windows, not clicking the Back button) and clicked on the old banner, which redirected me to the new banner's site. Surely that shouldn't be happening?

not really a Iconbar.com issue, but I am here anyway smile

So... We sat a cookie saying which banner number was displayed and the redirect according to what the cookie is.
If you have any other ideas please tell us and we will look into it smile

<personal note>I need to add a feedback form to the banner network</note>

^[ Log in to reply ]

Matthew Message #6383, posted at 14:58, 15/6/2002, in reply to message #6382
Unregistered user

Yes, sorry, realised that, but couldn't see anywhere else to put it smile

So... We sat a cookie saying which banner number was displayed and the redirect according to what the cookie is.

Can't think of anything offhand; do all banner systems work like this, then? (Can't say I've clicked on many before smile )

^[ Log in to reply ]

AndrewDuffell Message #6384, posted at 14:58, 15/6/2002, in reply to message #6383
Unregistered user

Yes, sorry, realised that, but couldn't see anywhere else to put it smile

Can't think of anything offhand; do all banner systems work like this, then? (Can't say I've clicked on many before smile )

Dunno? We wrote it ourselfs, and haven't really looked at any other ones tongue

^[ Log in to reply ]

Phlamethrower Message #6385, posted at 14:58, 15/6/2002, in reply to message #6384
Unregistered user Why not just stick a ?site=xxx thing on the link the banner goes to? It would make more sense to me rather than sending a cookie with 'site=xxx' in it cool
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Matthew Message #6386, posted at 14:58, 15/6/2002, in reply to message #6385
Unregistered user
Why not just stick a ?site=xxx thing on the link the banner goes to? It would make more sense to me rather than sending a cookie with 'site=xxx' in it cool

Because the banner people have no say over what the people who are inserting the banner into their HTML put as the link? smile I mean, all a person who wishes to use the banner network is supposed to do is insert the code for an image which inserts the banner. The banner network has no other control over the HTML, and I don't see how it could, either. Also, if a person did that, it would always link to the same site. The only way I can see to do what you're suggesting would be to use JavaScript to insert both the link and the image into the remote HTML, but then that would shut out all Browse users...

^[ Log in to reply ]

Phlamethrower Message #6387, posted at 14:58, 15/6/2002, in reply to message #6386
Unregistered user The banner link (I.e. the link you go to when you click on the ad) goes to ROBN, so they can log you clicking the banner, increase the popularity meter for that site, or whatever other spyware they wish to run wink ROBN then redirects to whatever site you clicked.

That's why they used the cookies in the first place - because they want to know which site you are clicking on. Replacing the cookie with a parameter should solve the problem.

^[ Log in to reply ]

Matthew Message #6388, posted at 14:58, 15/6/2002, in reply to message #6387
Unregistered user
The banner link (I.e. the link you go to when you click on the ad) goes to ROBN, so they can log you clicking the banner, increase the popularity meter for that site, or whatever other spyware they wish to run wink ROBN then redirects to whatever site you clicked.

Yes, I understand that. It's the only way they could serve different banners to sites who don't want to worry about the coding.

That's why they used the cookies in the first place - because they want to know which site you are clicking on. Replacing the cookie with a parameter should solve the problem.

But how can they replace the cookie with a parameter? As I said, ROBN have no control over the link used to link the image to the banner redirect program. All they have access to is the image being sent, surely. Am I missing something?

^[ Log in to reply ]

AndrewDuffell Message #6389, posted at 14:58, 15/6/2002, in reply to message #6388
Unregistered user flamethrower the only info we get from the cookie is which URL to go to. The cookie is not used for counting.
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Phlamethrower Message #6390, posted at 14:58, 15/6/2002, in reply to message #6388
Unregistered user
But how can they replace the cookie with a parameter? As I said, ROBN have no control over the link used to link the image to the banner redirect program. All they have access to is the image being sent, surely. Am I missing something?

Doh! So I see unhappy

^[ Log in to reply ]

john Message #6391, posted at 14:58, 15/6/2002, in reply to message #6389
Unregistered user
flamethrower the only info we get from the cookie is which URL to go to. The cookie is not used for counting.
Yes it is! The sites get stats on how many times their banner has appeared, how many banners they've shown. amd how many times someone's click on their banner.

wink

^[ Log in to reply ]

Matthew Message #6392, posted at 14:58, 15/6/2002, in reply to message #6391
Unregistered user
The sites get stats on how many times their banner has appeared, how many banners they've shown.

Aren't they the same? smile

amd how many times someone's click on their banner.

Well, I hope (reading what I said originally in this thread) that you're telling the sites that this statistic is inaccurate.

^[ Log in to reply ]

john Message #6393, posted at 14:58, 15/6/2002, in reply to message #6392
Unregistered user
The sites get stats on how many times their banner has appeared, how many banners they've shown.

No!

amd how many times someone's click on their banner.

Well, I hope (reading what I said originally in this thread) that you're telling the sites that this statistic is inaccurate.

No, we aren't. If everyone uses oregano it'll be perfectly accurate, otherwise, the error will be minute. I don't have time to fool about with minor details, really.
HTH
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Matthew Message #6394, posted at 14:58, 15/6/2002, in reply to message #6393
Unregistered user

No!

Oh, of course, silly me. smile

No, we aren't. If everyone uses oregano it'll be perfectly accurate, otherwise, the error will be minute.

Umm, I am using Oregano. It doesn't matter what browser you use, AFAICT; all you have to do is open a new window that includes a different ROBN banner (which will set a new cookie), then clicking on the old banner will take you to the new site. I suppose you could check the cookie so only serve that banner, but that would obviously be stupid, depending on the expiry time of the cookie. smile

I don't have time to fool about with minor details, really.

Fair enough. Just thought you might want to hear about the problem.

^[ Log in to reply ]

Acorn Arcade forums: Site Comments: banners.iconbar.com