User accounts
Register new account
Forgot password
Forum stats
List of members
Search the forums

Advanced search
Recent discussions
- Upgrading your RISC OS system to 5.30 (News:1)
- Wakefield Show 2024 in Pictures (News:4)
- RISC OS 5.30 arrives (News:1)
- April 2024 News Summary (News:1)
- uniprint upgraded to 4.50 (News:)
- PhotoDesk 3.23 released (News:)
- R-Comp reveals N.Ex.T Boxes - the successor to the i.MX6 (News:)
- RISCOSbits at Wakefield Show 2024 (News:)
- R-Comp releases Genealogy v2 (News:)
- Will we see 5.30 released at Wakefield show? (News:1)
Latest postings RSS Feeds
RSS 2.0 | 1.0 | 0.9
Atom 0.3
Misc RDF | CDF

View on Mastodon
@www.iconbar.com@rss-parrot.net
Site Search

Article archives
Acorn Arcade forums: Site Comments: Fooking scary "upgrade"

Fooking scary "upgrade"
  rich (10:24 26/8/2005)
  rich (12:03 26/8/2005)
    andrew (11:40 29/8/2005)
      rich (14:06 29/8/2005)
        andrew (17:42 29/8/2005)
          monkeyson2 (01:13 30/8/2005)
          rich (09:19 30/8/2005)
  rich (10:08 31/8/2005)

Richard Goodwin Message #68646, posted by rich at 10:24, 26/8/2005
Rich
Dictator for life
Just tried to update PHP due to the latest vulnerability and... nothing. The web server was running, and Perl CGIs ran, but TIB wouldn't return any data due to it being entirely PHP generated.

I rebooted the server (that old Windows fallback) but it didn't help, so in the end I had to force the old RPMs back over the upgrade and thankfully it worked!

Thank goodness I'd already done the rest of the (fairly trivial) updates because now I'm off for a lie down...
________
RichGCheers,
Rich.
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Richard Goodwin Message #68648, posted by rich at 12:03, 26/8/2005, in reply to message #68646
Rich
Dictator for life
OK, I'm back, and I think I have a working version of ClamAV antivirus up and running!
________
RichGCheers,
Rich.
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Andrew Message #68681, posted by andrew at 11:40, 29/8/2005, in reply to message #68648
HandbagHandbag Boi
Where is the server located now? Do you still have to go down to docklands?
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Richard Goodwin Message #68684, posted by rich at 14:06, 29/8/2005, in reply to message #68681
Rich
Dictator for life
There's this thing called the Internet, which is, like, accessible without leaving the house and stuff... ;)

It's somewhere in London - don't know where though.
________
RichGCheers,
Rich.
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Andrew Message #68687, posted by andrew at 17:42, 29/8/2005, in reply to message #68684
HandbagHandbag Boi
There's this thing called the Internet, which is, like, accessible without leaving the house and stuff... ;)

I wasn't able to determine that from this:

"I rebooted the server (that old Windows fallback) but it didn't help, so in the end I had to force the old RPMs back over the upgrade and thankfully it worked"
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Phil Mellor Message #68696, posted by monkeyson2 at 01:13, 30/8/2005, in reply to message #68687
monkeyson2Please don't let them make me be a monkey butler

"I rebooted the server (that old Windows fallback) but it didn't help, so in the end I had to force the old RPMs back over the upgrade and thankfully it worked"
I have the image now of Rich doing all that, then having to go for a lie down somewhere in London. Possibly with a can of Special Brew. ;)
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Richard Goodwin Message #68698, posted by rich at 09:19, 30/8/2005, in reply to message #68687
Rich
Dictator for life

It's kind of implied from the fact that this is a server that's been announced on the front page as being hosted at a proper hosting facility by Orpheus.
________
RichGCheers,
Rich.
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Richard Goodwin Message #68726, posted by rich at 10:08, 31/8/2005, in reply to message #68646
Rich
Dictator for life
*phew* - and we're back. I've updated both PHP and Apache successfully. (And now Python too - does anyone use this?)

The PHP thing was probably to do with not having updated the pcre libraries first - which was dodgy and why all this stuff needs upgrading in the first place.

On upgrading apache and all its modules it failed to come back up properly again, but this time the culprit was the SSL module. Seeing as SSL isn't used on the server, and I (thought) I'd already removed it from the module startup directory, it was a bit hairy for a while. But yay for 999 line scroll histories in SSH clients! :) I could see that previous module upgrades shut down and restarted the server properly; but during the SSL install it wasn't able to shut down (even though it was still reporting a startup). Turns out there were two SSL-related files in the module directory.

Reason for update:
Integer overflow in pcre_compile.c in Perl Compatible Regular Expressions (PCRE) before 6.2, as used in multiple products, allows attackers to execute arbitrary code via quantifier values in regular expressions, which leads to a heap-based buffer overflow.

The apache2 packages, as shipped, were built using a private copy of pcre.
As ever, please report any problems you find after this update.
________
RichGCheers,
Rich.
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Acorn Arcade forums: Site Comments: Fooking scary "upgrade"