User accounts
Register new account
Forgot password
Forum stats
List of members
Search the forums

Advanced search
Recent discussions
- R-Comp reveals N.Ex.T Boxes - the successor to the i.MX6 (News:)
- RISCOSbits at Wakefield Show 2024 (News:)
- R-Comp releases Genealogy v2 (News:)
- Will we see 5.30 released at Wakefield show? (News:1)
- Sine Nomine updates RiscOSM and Impact (News:)
- Netfetch version 5.55 released (News:)
- Prizes for Wakefield Show announced (News:)
- Heretic update from R-Comp (News:)
- Wakefield Show 2024 is next Saturday (News:)
- Git client updated to 0.07 (News:2)
Latest postings RSS Feeds
RSS 2.0 | 1.0 | 0.9
Atom 0.3
Misc RDF | CDF

View on Mastodon
@www.iconbar.com@rss-parrot.net
Site Search

Article archives
Acorn Arcade forums: Site Comments: Random quotes

Random quotes
  Gavin (09:56 28/9/2005)
  rich (10:36 28/9/2005)
    Gavin (19:03 28/9/2005)
      rich (19:10 28/9/2005)
      monkeyson2 (19:33 28/9/2005)
        ilcook (20:02 28/9/2005)

Gavin Wraith Message #69779, posted by Gavin at 09:56, 28/9/2005
In an idle moment I have been flicking through the random quotes displayed at the top of the Icon Bar welcome page - a slow business, refreshing the page, whatever browser I use. I am intrigued by them, because of the half dozen or so that I have seen so far I have only understood one, and that was expressed in poor muddled English. Try "RISC OS 3.7 users were never slightly ruined by they". Are these quotes computer generated? I am not attributing these farragos to Icon Bar, of course, but I am puzzled as to why anybody should think them worthy of taking up space on the page. Perhaps they are intended to be funny in some way?
I must have lost my sensayuma, waiting for the page to load.
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Richard Goodwin Message #69780, posted by rich at 10:36, 28/9/2005, in reply to message #69779
Rich
Dictator for life
The anonymous quotes are all randomly generated.
The ones with names are from users submissions.
And there's a third thread of counter-quotes - ones that diss rather than promote.
________
RichGCheers,
Rich.
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Gavin Wraith Message #69824, posted by Gavin at 19:03, 28/9/2005, in reply to message #69780
Thanks for confirming my guess. Generating random text is an interesting and profound topic, giving insight into the nature of language. When words are chosen by your generator are they taken from a plain dictionary, or are they taken from appropriate categories (verb, adjective, . . .) according to a grammatical template?
Did you ever read anything of Ferdinand Feghoot? To keep readers coming to your site you could have either as well as or instead of the random quotes a newsfeed of a little story, updated at appropriate intervals. Something stark, poignant and outrageous? A cartoon strip maybe?
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Richard Goodwin Message #69827, posted by rich at 19:10, 28/9/2005, in reply to message #69824
Rich
Dictator for life
I didn't write it, it was something of a team effort IIRC. But if you want to produce a cartoon I'll put it up! :)
________
RichGCheers,
Rich.
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Phil Mellor Message #69830, posted by monkeyson2 at 19:33, 28/9/2005, in reply to message #69824
monkeyson2Please don't let them make me be a monkey butler

Did you ever read anything of Ferdinand Feghoot? To keep readers coming to your site you could have either as well as or instead of the random quotes a newsfeed of a little story, updated at appropriate intervals. Something stark, poignant and outrageous?
I like that idea... :)

*waits for moss to write it*
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Acorn Arcade forums: Site Comments: Random quotes