User accounts
Register new account
Forgot password
Forum stats
List of members
Search the forums

Advanced search
Recent discussions
- Will we see 5.30 released at Wakefield show? (News:)
- Prizes for Wakefield Show announced (News:)
- Heretic update from R-Comp (News:)
- Wakefield Show 2024 is next Saturday (News:)
- Git client updated to 0.07 (News:2)
- Archive Edition 27:1 reviewed (News:)
- Rougol April 2024 meeting on monday is Anniversary time (News:1)
- WROCC April 2024 meeting o...changes to our phone lines (News:1)
- April developer 'fireside' chat is on saturday night (News:)
- March 2024 News Summary (News:4)
Latest postings RSS Feeds
RSS 2.0 | 1.0 | 0.9
Atom 0.3
Misc RDF | CDF

View on Mastodon
@www.iconbar.com@rss-parrot.net
Site Search

Article archives
Acorn Arcade forums: Site Comments: Hope you're not backpacking round Asia...

Hope you're not backpacking round Asia...
  rich (01:18 24/11/2005)
  andrew (01:24 13/5/2006)
    Loris (14:17 29/6/2006)
      SimonC (10:14 30/6/2006)

Richard Goodwin Message #72062, posted by rich at 01:18, 24/11/2005
Rich
Dictator for life
...I've just had to firewall large blocks of China and Korea. There's abuse coming from large numbers of IPs over there, which I firewall; when this list gets unwieldy I group these into subnets; and now these have grown unwieldy I'm blocking everything starting with certain numbers. That's a hefty chunk of change to throw away, but looking at how things have been going in the past week or two it's the only step that's going to slow the number of server attacks.

I've also blocked more user agents from accessing the web server; some are automated attacks, and some are being used by badly-written search robots that generate large numbers of errors too often to be ignored.
________
RichGCheers,
Rich.
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Andrew Message #75407, posted by andrew at 01:24, 13/5/2006, in reply to message #72062
HandbagHandbag Boi
Well I really hope the Chinese are reading this site:

your country has a deplorable respect for human life, let alone animal life
the Tianamen square massacre should be an issue on which your government is eternally accountable
nobody but the gullible western media believes specious comparisons between your deplorable human rights record and the existence of a single dubious camp in Cuba under the auspices of the greatest democracy and force for human freedom on Earth.
fundamentalist terrorism is in your back yard and short term expediency for the sake of oil and export deals (e.g. Iran, Sudan) looks set to pay you dearly in the future
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Tony Haines Message #77185, posted by Loris at 14:17, 29/6/2006, in reply to message #75407
madbanHa ha, me mine, mwahahahaha
...of a single dubious camp in Cuba under the auspices of the greatest democracy and force for human freedom on Earth.
Um, America, the greatest democracy? Are you sure? As a 2 party system, it has only the minimum requirement for a democracy.

fundamentalist terrorism is in your back yard and short term expediency for the sake of oil and export deals (e.g. Iran, Sudan) looks set to pay you dearly in the future
Applies equally well to the UK.

Um, is .gov.uk on that blocking list?
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Simon Challands Message #77199, posted by SimonC at 10:14, 30/6/2006, in reply to message #77185
Elite
Right on, Commander!

...of a single dubious camp in Cuba under the auspices of the greatest democracy and force for human freedom on Earth.
Um, America, the greatest democracy? Are you sure? As a 2 party system, it has only the minimum requirement for a democracy.
Democracy is overrated, in any case. It encourages short-term thinking (as long as you have a largely foolish electorate who are equally short-termist and selfish), which is why, in theory, having an unelected, inherited part of government isn't entirely a bad idea, except that it's inevitably going to be politcally unrepresentative.
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Acorn Arcade forums: Site Comments: Hope you're not backpacking round Asia...