User accounts
Register new account
Forgot password
Forum stats
List of members
Search the forums

Advanced search
Recent discussions
- WROCC May 2024 meeting on wednesday - Gerph talks games (News:)
- Upgrading your RISC OS system to 5.30 (News:1)
- Wakefield Show 2024 in Pictures (News:4)
- RISC OS 5.30 arrives (News:1)
- April 2024 News Summary (News:1)
- uniprint upgraded to 4.50 (News:)
- PhotoDesk 3.23 released (News:)
- R-Comp reveals N.Ex.T Boxes - the successor to the i.MX6 (News:)
- RISCOSbits at Wakefield Show 2024 (News:)
- R-Comp releases Genealogy v2 (News:)
Latest postings RSS Feeds
RSS 2.0 | 1.0 | 0.9
Atom 0.3
Misc RDF | CDF

View on Mastodon
@www.iconbar.com@rss-parrot.net
Site Search

Article archives
Acorn Arcade forums: Games: BHP

BHP
  johnstlr (09:49 18/7/2001)
  davidm (13:56 18/7/2001)
    johnstlr (17:27 18/7/2001)
      davidm (20:07 18/7/2001)

Lee Johnston Message #83801, posted by johnstlr at 09:49, 18/7/2001
For a laugh I thought I'd try BHP from the TBA collection CD on my RiscStation. To my utter surprise the game actually started up with my car on the grid. I accelerated away and then hit a problem - the moment I tried to turn the 3D graphics completely disappeared leaving me with the background picture and the sound effects.

Has anyone else seen this?

Also I'm surprised it even got that far because I thought the game made use of the SA only SMULL and UMULL instructions which I figured would have caused a crash (unless they're interpreted as NOPs but then that doesn't explain why the starting grid appears at all). I haven't had a chance to look through the source code yet to see if it does use these commands.

The BHP demo that comes with the Holograph suite works fine (if a little slow in some areas). Certainly it must've been doing a good 12 frames per sec (possibly a little more). Not bad for a 56Mhz machine eh? I should point out this was at 320*256 rather than the hi-res mode though.

^[ Log in to reply ]

David McEwen Message #83802, posted by davidm at 13:56, 18/7/2001, in reply to message #83801
Since I only have an SA machine (although I should be getting my hands on a A7000+ at some point) I haven't seen the problem you've mentioned. However I would assume that if the demo worked the game would too...

The UMULL/SMULL instructions may indeed be interpreted as NOPs as Descent 2 just doesn't display anything on the lower spec machines as far as I'm aware. I suppose the code that is doing the visibility checking may be using such instructions and thus you are getting nothing shown... but that would be a complete guess.

BTW BHP always runs in low res never anything decent like 480x352 or above...

I would say that there are better racing games out there to try... but then I remembered this is RISC OS world.

^[ Log in to reply ]

Lee Johnston Message #83803, posted by johnstlr at 17:27, 18/7/2001, in reply to message #83802
The UMULL/SMULL instructions may indeed be interpreted as NOPs as Descent 2 just doesn't display anything on the lower spec machines as far as I'm aware. I suppose the code that is doing the visibility checking may be using such instructions and thus you are getting nothing shown... but that would be a complete guess.

I appreciate the guess - it's something until I look through the code. What is intriguing is that the start grid comes up and I can accelerate down the straight, it's only when I turn the problem comes up. I would've figured that any code that relied on those instructions would have been an integral part of the rendering pipeline.

Anyway, no point speculating wink

BTW BHP always runs in low res never anything decent like 480x352 or above...

The instructions claim F7 or F8 sets high res - then again I think this is just standard TAG functionality and the instructions were cut 'n' pasted from the TAG manual.

I would say that there are better racing games out there to try... but then I remembered this is RISC OS world.

True - I only looked because I was curious as I've never seen it before.

^[ Log in to reply ]

David McEwen Message #83804, posted by davidm at 20:07, 18/7/2001, in reply to message #83803
Just did a quick search through the code and there isn't a SMULL or UMULL or MLAL to be found. So the problem you are having is even more of a mystery - if I remember I'll ask Martin and see if he has an idea.
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Acorn Arcade forums: Games: BHP