User accounts
Register new account
Forgot password
Forum stats
List of members
Search the forums

Advanced search
Recent discussions
- R-Comp reveals N.Ex.T Boxes - the successor to the i.MX6 (News:)
- RISCOSbits at Wakefield Show 2024 (News:)
- R-Comp releases Genealogy v2 (News:)
- Will we see 5.30 released at Wakefield show? (News:1)
- Sine Nomine updates RiscOSM and Impact (News:)
- Netfetch version 5.55 released (News:)
- Prizes for Wakefield Show announced (News:)
- Heretic update from R-Comp (News:)
- Wakefield Show 2024 is next Saturday (News:)
- Git client updated to 0.07 (News:2)
Latest postings RSS Feeds
RSS 2.0 | 1.0 | 0.9
Atom 0.3
Misc RDF | CDF

View on Mastodon
@www.iconbar.com@rss-parrot.net
Site Search

Article archives
Acorn Arcade forums: Site Comments: Nathan's resource area suggestion

Nathan's resource area suggestion
  andreww (22:49 12/4/2001)
  rich (13:03 13/4/2001)
    andreww (13:42 13/4/2001)
      kick52 (15:22 15/4/2001)
        andreww (00:38 18/4/2001)
          ToiletDuck (15:32 18/4/2001)
            tfountain (06:06 19/4/2001)
              Phlamethrower (14:45 20/4/2001)
                ToiletDuck (19:29 21/4/2001)
                  andreww (14:07 23/4/2001)
                    ToiletDuck (16:29 23/4/2001)
                      andreww (22:27 23/4/2001)
                        ToiletDuck (19:39 24/4/2001)
                          ToiletDuck (21:20 26/4/2001)
                            andreww (22:08 26/4/2001)
                              ToiletDuck (22:29 26/4/2001)

Andrew Message #84074, posted by andreww at 22:49, 12/4/2001
AA refugee
How about having an area where we can post fragments of gaming-related code (anything from graphics plotting to say, sorting routines or pseudo-code structures). This could become resource area that people have been calling for. I know there is the IconBar for other areas but gaming has Acorn Arcade as it is a disparate area.

If people start to deposit code (I don't know if graphics / sound uploading would be feasible or if people would want to donate anything) then this would encourage others perhaps to suggest improvements.
In this way there could be a free flow of ideas like on csa.programmer but it would be a more readily accessible permanent record which programmers could access.

I would be prepared to donate a piece of code which I admit is quite primitive but it may encourage others to follow suite.
There would not need to be any pressure for coders to donate code which they have spent hours working out only for others to poach.

In other words, it would be an area to which people would voluntarily donate for the benefit of others whilst keeping anything commercially sensitive or precious to themselves.
The purpose would simply be to guide others and stimulate their own creativity.

What do you think AA guys 9or anybody else)/?

Regards,

Andrew

^[ Log in to reply ]

Richard Goodwin Message #84075, posted by rich at 13:03, 13/4/2001, in reply to message #84074
Rich
Dictator for life
How about having an area where we can post fragments of gaming-related code (anything from graphics plotting to say, sorting routines or pseudo-code structures). This could become resource area that people have been calling for.
<snip>
What do you think AA guys or anybody else)?

This is part of what we had planned for Coder's Cauldron, so I think I speak for all at Acorn Arcade when I say a resounding "yes!".

How do you see this working (directed at everyone)? I did some work on allowing files to be uploaded via a web browser, but alas Fresco is very broken in this respect (Oregano works, and I'm told so does WebsterXL). Handing out FTP accounts to everyone or emailing us the code to upload might all take time, as we've found in the past. So how about one big upload area that everyone shares (although only people with stuff to donate get the password)? Anyone who just wants to download can do some from a web browser.

Let us know your ideas on the subject!

^[ Log in to reply ]

Andrew Message #84076, posted by andreww at 13:42, 13/4/2001, in reply to message #84075
AA refugee
We could just upload the code fragments via a form I was thinking into specific areas / sub-sections of the site and allow people to reply with their own ideas or suggestions for improvement.
There could be various games programming areas.
For graphics/sound upload I don't know what would be best. I assume FTP clients are fairly accessible to anyone on the net?

Andrew

^[ Log in to reply ]

Tim Brook Message #84077, posted by kick52 at 15:22, 15/4/2001, in reply to message #84076
There already exists such a place, maybe people didn't know about it (I only found out today). www.t-c-r.org is a place where developers can share information, code fragments and project ideas but they're giving up because users don't seem to be participating that much. How about concentrating our efforts to one place, a place that already exists?

There's even a promise of a Visual IDE but someone said at the Drobe that this was dead already, maybe a little outside interest from programmers would kick-start it again.

One tiny problem though, part of the site is in German but surely that shouldn't discourage people from using it.

I advocated for a programming forum here on Acorn Arcade myself but that doesn't seem to get any attention, most programming/development discussions take place in the General forum.

[Edited by Gulli at 15:23, 15/4/2001]

^[ Log in to reply ]

Andrew Message #84078, posted by andreww at 00:38, 18/4/2001, in reply to message #84077
AA refugee
I've contacted the TCR about this thread ad I hope they read my suggestion which was for a place where people can deposit tips, code fragments and resources into appropriate sections.

If Coders Cauldron doesn't accomodate this into its remit then maybe the TCR could?

Andrew

^[ Log in to reply ]

Mark Quint Message #84079, posted by ToiletDuck at 15:32, 18/4/2001, in reply to message #84078
Ooh ducky!Quack Quack
what would be needed to be done to add something like this to Coders Cauldron, as I do think that it would be the logical place to host something like that.
Perhaps you could use a system a little like Iconbar has in allowing "comments" to be added to news items, but this could be adapted to allow pieces of code to be placed.
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Tim Fountain Message #84080, posted by tfountain at 06:06, 19/4/2001, in reply to message #84079
AA refugee
I'm sure we could add a section like this to Coder's Cauldron if enough people wanted it, but as Rich said which route of implementation would you want us to go down? A web-upload form is quite easy to do, but if it only works in Oregano and WebsterXL that's cutting out quite a few users; and an anonymous FTP-type system is a little less user friendly.

How many people think they would submit code to such a section, not including Andrew?

^[ Log in to reply ]

Jeffrey Lee Message #84081, posted by Phlamethrower at 14:45, 20/4/2001, in reply to message #84080
PhlamethrowerHot Hot Hot Hot Hot Hot Hot Hot Hot Hot Hot Hot Hot stuff

How many people think they would submit code to such a section, not including Andrew?

I would!

Colour depth converters, file handling utils, new number types for C++, overdraw reducers for tile-based games, etc.

^[ Log in to reply ]

Mark Quint Message #84082, posted by ToiletDuck at 19:29, 21/4/2001, in reply to message #84081
Ooh ducky!Quack Quack
i've spent a little time working on a re-designed Coders Cauldron website, for which ill put up a prototype sometime to see what you thing, and I've built it with the possibility forhaving a code area. I've created pages for info on the site, tutorials, source code section, downloads, forum, links and a sub-section on RiscGeL.
I'll upload the finished site soon,
hope you all like it,

Mark

^[ Log in to reply ]

Andrew Message #84083, posted by andreww at 14:07, 23/4/2001, in reply to message #84082
AA refugee
I think this could be a great resource providing people contribute a little each.
RISC OS as Nathan originally said needs this kind of resource - a flipcode.com for RISC OS.
We need this resource with content that is more relevant to RO - assembler and BASIC. Also, graphical / sound resources for RISC OS games development e.g Topmodel files perhaps, RM modules (although these exist on Argonet's FTP site if I remember correctly).

Tutorials I would think are more suitable for IconBar unless specifically game-tailored.

^[ Log in to reply ]

Mark Quint Message #84084, posted by ToiletDuck at 16:29, 23/4/2001, in reply to message #84083
Ooh ducky!Quack Quack
Right then, ill tidy up the site & stick it up somewhere to see what ppl think.
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Andrew Message #84085, posted by andreww at 22:27, 23/4/2001, in reply to message #84084
AA refugee
Tim is the main person to talk to in this area Mark.
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Mark Quint Message #84086, posted by ToiletDuck at 19:39, 24/4/2001, in reply to message #84085
Ooh ducky!Quack Quack
awww m0000
The site is "finished" but it seems that I cannot find anywhere to upload the site to >unhappy
Ill keep trying to find somewhere to temporarily stick it up, and then people can look at it and start filling in the gaps smile
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Mark Quint Message #84087, posted by ToiletDuck at 21:20, 26/4/2001, in reply to message #84086
Ooh ducky!Quack Quack
right,
i've finally managed to upload the test Coders Cauldron website.
You can see it here:
http://members.tripod.co.uk/coderscauldron/
i've stuck a message on the CC forums so you can comment on it there,
Mark
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Andrew Message #84088, posted by andreww at 22:08, 26/4/2001, in reply to message #84087
AA refugee
Don't forget, Mark, that we will need standard forms to which we can add code which can be viewed whilst online and replied to, not just files to download otherwise it would be little more than an FTP area.
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Mark Quint Message #84089, posted by ToiletDuck at 22:29, 26/4/2001, in reply to message #84088
Ooh ducky!Quack Quack
yup i was thinking that, and an easier way to add files/code too.
im not sure how i'd do that though,
Ill have to ask Tim or Richard about how to do something like that.
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Acorn Arcade forums: Site Comments: Nathan's resource area suggestion