Register new account
Forgot password
Forum stats
List of members
Search the forums

Advanced search
Recent discussions
- Archive Edition 27:2 reviewed (News:)
- WROCC May 2024 meeting - Gerph talks games (News:)
- Drag'n'Drop 13i3 edition reviewed (News:1)
- Wakefield Show 2024 in Pictures (News:5)
- April 2024 News Summary (News:2)
- RISC OS 5.30 arrives (News:2)
- Upgrading your RISC OS system to 5.30 (News:2)
- WROCC May 2024 meeting on wednesday - Gerph talks games (News:)
- uniprint upgraded to 4.50 (News:)
- PhotoDesk 3.23 released (News:)
Latest postings RSS Feeds
RSS 2.0 | 1.0 | 0.9
Atom 0.3
Misc RDF | CDF

View on Mastodon
@www.iconbar.com@rss-parrot.net
Site Search

Article archives
Acorn Arcade forums: Games: F16: Any chance of it?

F16: Any chance of it?
  andreww (10:44 16/10/2001)
  davidm (15:45 16/10/2001)
    Jon Atherton (18:21 16/10/2001)
      davidm (18:38 16/10/2001)
        andreww (19:34 16/10/2001)
          andreww (13:38 23/10/2001)
            davidm (14:08 23/10/2001)
              andreww (19:24 23/10/2001)

Andrew Message #84188, posted by andreww at 10:44, 16/10/2001
AA refugee
Is there any chance we'll see F16 Fighting Falcon? Could it be released with option to turn various features off to reduce lag?

Maybe the Kinetic 300 machines would cope, or the Kinetics at least. Then standard StrongARMs could use the optional features.

The screenshots look great and we haven't seen a flight sim that's pushed the machine for years.
If the display options were incorporated the game could run smoothly on the Omega say at full capacity and also be sold to the much larger user base who have RiscPC's (and maybe even ARM7500FE machines with enough optional display features).

So, is there a possibility?
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

David McEwen Message #84189, posted by davidm at 15:45, 16/10/2001, in reply to message #84188
It really depends on where the speed hit is being incurred. It could be the physical simulation of the aircraft combined with the graphics.

The big trouble is we are working with a hardware architecture that really is 7+ years old (the original RiscPC was released in 1994 IIRC). Even when it was released the memory bus bandwidth of the machine wasn't hot and now it is pitiful. When dealing with modern games a lot of data is being thrown about and it seriously chokes the bus.

I'm not saying it can't be done, but going by how much I had to rewrite for Descent 2, which doesn't attempt a complex simulation I'd hate to think how much would have to be done.

It would be easy for me to say... lets just target the Kinetic or Omega (hopeful mode)... but then from a commercial point of view this is ridiculous. You would be talking 10s of sales.

So the option is you get some committed (or should be committed smile ) coder to rewrite swathes of code, change things algorithmically or whatever just to get around 15 fps on at least a vanilla SA. This is not a simple job and I would think that the coder would question spending his time on it and Andrew would feel it unfair as he would know that the coder would never get paid fairly for the work done.

I'm being speculative of course... it all depends on what is causing the trouble. I may ask to do a bit of rooting around after the show (as RCI are a wee bit busy atm), but don't hold your breath.

Really the only viability for games on RISC OS machines is to target the 7500FE machines with an eye on working on STBs. Obviously this rules out a wodge of modern conversions...
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Jonathan Atherton Message #84190, posted by Jon Atherton at 18:21, 16/10/2001, in reply to message #84189
AA refugee
On this note are their any other games in the pipeline. Now Tek isn't being released I don't really have anything to buy
at the show. I may get StuntRacer 2000 since everyone thinks it's great but is it worth £15?
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

David McEwen Message #84191, posted by davidm at 18:38, 16/10/2001, in reply to message #84190
I haven't heard anything about any new games for the show, but then I'm hardly in the loop about games I'm not working on. There's the Descent 2 update though wink

I have a few ideas on what I may tackle next, but can't really say any more. They are a bit far in the future (if at all) as well...

StuntRacer 2000 is a good RISC OS game... it's not the greatest game IMHO in the world, but is fun.

RiscCPS is the way to go if you want games smile Not much can touch Metal Slug or Windjammers on any platform... but then I would say that!
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Andrew Message #84192, posted by andreww at 19:34, 16/10/2001, in reply to message #84191
AA refugee
I'm quite sure it would require sections re-writing but I'm confident it would be possible.
As you know best, much of the re-writing would focus upon making the code use fixed-point numbers but look at the rewards Descent1+2 for a start!
I don't recall anybody mentioning how MP3 creation could be practical on the Acorn and look at the shockwaves that Peter Everett's Shine re-write made through the user community.
This conversion of course would need somebody committed and who enjoyed bringing the game to market as like David says, huge payments wouldn't be feasible.
The thing to keep sight of though of course is what a great game it would be to play on RISC OS.
I hope you can have a look over the code David to see what yu think. It seems that it's on hold indefinitely otherwise?
If anybody feels the same I'd say show your interest to RComp at the show and let's see what happens.
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Andrew Message #84193, posted by andreww at 13:38, 23/10/2001, in reply to message #84192
AA refugee
Did you go to the show David and if so did you talk about F16 as I didn't have the chance to even talk to RCI, just walk past?
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

David McEwen Message #84194, posted by davidm at 14:08, 23/10/2001, in reply to message #84193
No I didn't go to the show. I knew that there wasn't going to be anything there I was interested in - apart from Pheobe, but that would have been more depressing than anything else. I spoke to Andrew R prior to the show though and we shall see what happens...

Oh yeah in your previous posting you stated that Descent 1 & 2 had to be converted to fixed point. This is in fact incorrect as they both use fixed point math to begin with...

[Edited by davidm at 14:12, 23/10/2001]
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Andrew Message #84195, posted by andreww at 19:24, 23/10/2001, in reply to message #84194
AA refugee
Yes, I assumed that your comments referring to re-writes of section of code pertained to floating-point operations in the sources for PC Descent 1 and 2 but of course you know what they were for.

Anyway, I sincerely hope your talk with Andrew R was fruitful.
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Acorn Arcade forums: Games: F16: Any chance of it?