User accounts
Register new account
Forgot password
Forum stats
List of members
Search the forums

Advanced search
Recent discussions
- WROCC May 2024 meeting on wednesday - Gerph talks games (News:)
- Upgrading your RISC OS system to 5.30 (News:1)
- Wakefield Show 2024 in Pictures (News:4)
- RISC OS 5.30 arrives (News:1)
- April 2024 News Summary (News:1)
- uniprint upgraded to 4.50 (News:)
- PhotoDesk 3.23 released (News:)
- R-Comp reveals N.Ex.T Boxes - the successor to the i.MX6 (News:)
- RISCOSbits at Wakefield Show 2024 (News:)
- R-Comp releases Genealogy v2 (News:)
Latest postings RSS Feeds
RSS 2.0 | 1.0 | 0.9
Atom 0.3
Misc RDF | CDF

View on Mastodon
@www.iconbar.com@rss-parrot.net
Site Search

Article archives
Acorn Arcade forums: Games: Can we ever compete?

Can we ever compete?
  andreww (17:49 12/4/2001)
  Max (20:36 12/4/2001)
    andreww (22:15 12/4/2001)
      Wrath (13:10 14/4/2001)
        fwibbler (23:49 14/4/2001)
          davidm (00:30 15/4/2001)
            fwibbler (01:46 15/4/2001)
              Max (08:26 15/4/2001)
                Max (08:31 15/4/2001)
                  davidm (13:50 15/4/2001)

Andrew Message #85500, posted by andreww at 17:49, 12/4/2001
AA refugee
If you read the comment I made on the 'lone programmer' article, what are other people's views about this issue?
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Max Palmer Message #85501, posted by Max at 20:36, 12/4/2001, in reply to message #85500
Hi,

I think people in the RISC OS games scene have the talent to compete. However, there are three big areas that work against us.

[1] Time
[2] Resources (software tools and a decent development environment)
[3] The hardware.

For some types of game, [3] obviously matters. [2] can also be a big problem - often the software that is at the disposal of the big companies is just so expensive that people in the Acorn world just couldn't compete and we certainly need a decent development environment. However, by far the biggest problem IMHO is time ([1]). A lot of us have full time jobs and don't have that much leisure time to play with. If someone could pay us to do the work (!) then a team of the best RISC OS coders, designers, artists and musicians could definitely compete. Look at what Artex are doing with Iron Dignity. From where I'm sitting, that game definately looks capable of competing. However Iron Dignity is a classic example of where the hardware difference comes into play.

Another thing that's worth remembering is that a lot of the 'old' RISC OS games writers have made a successful transition to developing games as a career.

I'm going in circles here. The talent is here, the time, the tools and the money aren't. It depends whether we're talking about talent or products ...

Regards,

Max

[1] I often think just how much more I could do if I were able to work on TEK full time. Mind you, if I did that we'd soon run into the limits of the Risc PC ...

^[ Log in to reply ]

Andrew Message #85502, posted by andreww at 22:15, 12/4/2001, in reply to message #85501
AA refugee
I agree with you that time and resources act against us but I think RISC OS makes the process enjoyable and rewarding very often.
Pehaps access to software will become the most important issue as graphics software is set to improve with packages being updated such as TopModel, Photodesk so cost may become prohibitive to part-time authors working alone.

So, I would argue software partly but mainly the willingness of people to collaborate and stay committed until the release of a game which relates to the time factor as you say.

Regards,

Andrew

^[ Log in to reply ]

Nathan Message #85503, posted by Wrath at 13:10, 14/4/2001, in reply to message #85502
I for one believe that the *main* problem is software. If we had the software then the amount of time needed per project would be reduced. We neither hand the software or the time or the backup from big companies.

Everyone is interested in ardware at this moment in time, noone cares about software. It seems a switch around from many years back.

^[ Log in to reply ]

fwibbler Message #85504, posted by fwibbler at 23:49, 14/4/2001, in reply to message #85503
fwibbler

Speaking as a buyer of games rather than a writer, I would say that in terms of impressiveness, no we probably can't compete.

But is it necessary to?
I bought Inferno recently and very nice it is too. The object of it is simple, the presentation is good and the games generally looks well polished.
Most importantly, it's still good fun to play.
Spheres of chaos is another example.

Yes, there are any number of PC games that look impressive, with fancy lighting effects and sound effects that could have come straight from the cinema, but they can also still be crap and no fun to play.

I guess what I'm trying to say is that if you feel overwhelmed by the task of trying to create a visually stunning work of art to compete with PC games then don't try.
Why not just compete with Acorn games?

It's far more enjoyable playing games like Inferno or Spheres of Chaos (to name but 2) than something that looks great but plays badly.

It makes me sick when people look at games like Sunburst or Overload (to name but 2 more) and say 'This doesn't compare to anything on a PC'

Such people are either shallow, short on brain power, or have never sampled the dubious delights of 'Machine Hunter' or 'War of the Worlds' on their PC's. Or all three!

Above all, a game should be fun to play.

^[ Log in to reply ]

David McEwen Message #85505, posted by davidm at 00:30, 15/4/2001, in reply to message #85504
Personally I don't think that RISC OS games will ever compete with PC/console games unless things change drastically.

As an avid games player I know that gameplay is key. However these days people expect more. It's a sad fact, but most consumers would rather play Tomb Raider <insert requisite digit> rather than Mr Driller. 3d has overtaken even the last bastions of 2d in the console world are turning to 3d (Treasure with Sin and Punishment). So to compete we need all singing all dancing 3d games...

Trouble is there are various factors inhibiting this tyep of game being developed :

1. Hardware - having to rewrite a fairly hefty chunk of a fairly old game to get a decent frame rate on our top speed machines is fairly sad. Hopefully something will rctify this situation soon...

2. Software - since I'm talking 3d we would ideally need 3d animation software etc... but I'm not holding my breath for that.
A decent dev suite... some aid to the game programmer in the sense of debugging *PLEASE*
A 3d framework - which isn't really much trouble once you have hardware that can cope. Rather than having to tailor everything in a vain quest for speed.

3. Human Resources - you need enough people to make a decent team 10+ to make something equivalent to PC/console schtuff.

4. Financially viable - there needs to be enough of a userbase to buy the game to recoup what you spent in creating it.

In the current state of the RISC OS market and the way the near future is looking I really wouldn't try and compete with PC/console games... unless you have a lot of money to burn.

What RISC OS games should do is innovate. This is how to get games noticed. Look at some of the games that try something different and suceed, such as Bangaioh (sorry I'm a Treasure freak), pretty much every other Treasure game, Mr Driller... these are games created by *small* teams. They don't aim high they go for different. If that fails you can try riding the 2d tidal wave that the fabulous Gameboy Advance will create ;-)

PC/console games are more often than not constrained by the publisher - can't do that with character y, we can't have that in one of our games, blah blah blah - RISC OS games aren't. Also RISC OS games are fuelled by dedication and love of the project, all to many PC/console games are fueled by money. This shows through with the percentage of mediocre games on the shelves...

btw Doctor mentioning War of the Worlds is low, I know one of the artists that worked on that game, you have no idea what they had to deal with.

^[ Log in to reply ]

fwibbler Message #85506, posted by fwibbler at 01:46, 15/4/2001, in reply to message #85505
fwibbler

btw Doctor mentioning War of the Worlds is low, I know one of the artists that worked on that game, you have no idea what they had to deal with.

I'm sorry.
I was just trying to get my point across and I wasn't actually critisizing the graphics as much as the playability of it.
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Max Palmer Message #85507, posted by Max at 08:26, 15/4/2001, in reply to message #85506

I actually really liked that game,

Max

^[ Log in to reply ]

Max Palmer Message #85508, posted by Max at 08:31, 15/4/2001, in reply to message #85507
A decent dev suite... some aid to the game programmer in the sense of debugging *PLEASE*
A 3d framework - which isn't really much trouble once you have hardware that can cope. Rather than having to tailor everything in a vain quest for speed.

This is one of the most crucial areas we need to fix. After all, everyone moans about needing new software. The one thing thing that will make this whole process easier is an integrated development environment with a decent debugger. Make this happen, and more software will follow ...

What RISC OS games should do is innovate. This is how to get games noticed. Look at some of the games that try something different and suceed, such as Bangaioh (sorry I'm a Treasure freak), pretty much every other Treasure game, Mr Driller... these are games created by *small* teams. They don't aim high they go for different. If that fails you can try riding the 2d tidal wave that the fabulous Gameboy Advance will create ;-)

What are all these treasure games ? Any links available ?

Max

^[ Log in to reply ]

David McEwen Message #85509, posted by davidm at 13:50, 15/4/2001, in reply to message #85508
Treasure's website is : http://www.treasure-inc.co.jp
You'll need to feed it through something like eLingo to make it readable.
The latest Edge has a great article on them. The easiest way to see their games is via emulation or your friendly import store (alot of these go for heavy wodges of cash though...) :

Gunstar Heroes -> Megadrive
Alien Soldier -> Megadrive
Dynamite Headdy -> Megadrive
Light Crusader -> Megadrive
Guardian Heroes -> Saturn
Silhouette Mirage -> Saturn/PSX
Radiant Silvergun -> Saturn
Mischief Makers -> N64
Bangaioh -> N64/Dreamcast
Sin and Punishment -> N64

There are loads of sites dedicated to these games.

^[ Log in to reply ]

Acorn Arcade forums: Games: Can we ever compete?