User accounts
Register new account
Forgot password
Forum stats
List of members
Search the forums

Advanced search
Recent discussions
- WROCC May 2024 meeting on wednesday - Gerph talks games (News:)
- Upgrading your RISC OS system to 5.30 (News:1)
- Wakefield Show 2024 in Pictures (News:4)
- RISC OS 5.30 arrives (News:1)
- April 2024 News Summary (News:1)
- uniprint upgraded to 4.50 (News:)
- PhotoDesk 3.23 released (News:)
- R-Comp reveals N.Ex.T Boxes - the successor to the i.MX6 (News:)
- RISCOSbits at Wakefield Show 2024 (News:)
- R-Comp releases Genealogy v2 (News:)
Latest postings RSS Feeds
RSS 2.0 | 1.0 | 0.9
Atom 0.3
Misc RDF | CDF

View on Mastodon
@www.iconbar.com@rss-parrot.net
Site Search

Article archives
Acorn Arcade forums: Games: are you listening!?

are you listening!?
  andreww (10:46 13/7/2001)
  Phlamethrower (14:49 14/7/2001)
    [Steve] (20:18 14/7/2001)
      andreww (23:06 14/7/2001)
        johnstlr (08:37 15/7/2001)
          andreww (11:29 15/7/2001)
            ToiletDuck (18:25 15/7/2001)
              rich (13:59 17/7/2001)
                andreww (14:04 18/7/2001)
                  Max (19:04 18/7/2001)
                    andreww (23:14 18/7/2001)

Andrew Message #85637, posted by andreww at 10:46, 13/7/2001
AA refugee
Look, I know there are graphics experts out there. either help VOTI or help Artex, but do contribute something!!!
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Jeffrey Lee Message #85638, posted by Phlamethrower at 14:49, 14/7/2001, in reply to message #85637
PhlamethrowerHot Hot Hot Hot Hot Hot Hot Hot Hot Hot Hot Hot Hot stuff

Methinks TIB could do with a 'computer graphics for beginners' series...
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Steve Allen Message #85639, posted by [Steve] at 20:18, 14/7/2001, in reply to message #85638
AA refugee
What progs are used for designing tho? And in what format are they saved in.. I don't know these things unhappy
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Andrew Message #85640, posted by andreww at 23:06, 14/7/2001, in reply to message #85639
AA refugee
Designing graphics do you mean?
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Lee Johnston Message #85641, posted by johnstlr at 08:37, 15/7/2001, in reply to message #85640
What progs are used for designing tho? And in what format are they saved in.. I don't know these things unhappy

In general you'll probably find that, with the current state of affairs, the developers aren't that bothered providing the formats used are documented or can be translated into a documented format. RISC OS has a wealth of translation utilities so it's easy to get bitmap graphics into the RISC OS sprite format. Similarly most 3D packages have an "export as text" option.

Therefore, whatever packages people are most comfortable using.

^[ Log in to reply ]

Andrew Message #85642, posted by andreww at 11:29, 15/7/2001, in reply to message #85641
AA refugee
If you mean what you should use, then if you have a PC you will have access to a wide range of utilites.
For RISC OS, probably the most useful are Composition, Photodesk for designing any 2D graphics although Composition can render TopModel files and is useful for putting together images whatever their source.
For 3D, TopModel is probably the best package and is the only one to my knowledge which will be updated. We're waiting for news form Cerilica about this and especially about the animation upgrade which will hopefully allow character animations.
As Lee says there are a multitude of conversion utilities butwe're lacking for example in VRML2 conversion and digital movie creation, conversion and editing software.
From VOTI's viewpoint, help with animated 3D models and access to movie software would be useful for current projects.
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Mark Quint Message #85643, posted by ToiletDuck at 18:25, 15/7/2001, in reply to message #85642
Ooh ducky!Quack Quack
hrmm, well hopefully RiscGeL should fill in places here soon, as the test game should be quite demanding and need quite a few tools written for it smile
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Richard Goodwin Message #85644, posted by rich at 13:59, 17/7/2001, in reply to message #85643
Rich
Dictator for life
Use what you're most comfortable using? Indeed, many people still do the small jobs in Paint, which despite a lack of undo buffer and fancy fills is still pretty good, including multiple views at different magnifications. A good package to learn with, especially if you start learning the tricky stuff like hand-antialiasing and dithering in the desktop palette - after that every other package is a doddle! smile

There was one really good graphics package for designing game graphics on the Acorn range, but alas the company that was supposed to market it went bust before it was released. It was called QPaint, a rip off of the Amiga DPaint. I've been trying to get the right to give it away on these pages for years, but one of the authors was Dutch(?) and vanished - I think he had to do military service. It was monotasking, but its easy to use interface, split-screen zoom option, darken and lighten tools, and easy cut-out of game characters made effects like shadowing, anti-aliasing, glass effects and the like very easy to do. I used it on some graphics for Darkwood and the Thames Water/James Pond game to distinctive effect, and Dave Flynn of Oregan/Paradise fame used it up until he went on to work for companies like Codemasters. I had it converted to work on RiscPCs, but these days hand-drawn MODE 13 graphics seem to be frowned on; a high res version would be nice.

I've also used "proper" graphic design tools like Photodesk and ArtWorks in game work, although usually to add effects or do loading banners as they're too tricky to use for large numbers of small (e.g. 16x16) blocks.

^[ Log in to reply ]

Andrew Message #85645, posted by andreww at 14:04, 18/7/2001, in reply to message #85644
AA refugee
Increasingly though, 3D design packages are required for RISC OS games.
I keep asking cericila and sincronia about this.

I wish there was more interestt or the interest was more visible.

^[ Log in to reply ]

Max Palmer Message #85646, posted by Max at 19:04, 18/7/2001, in reply to message #85645
Increasingly though, 3D design packages are required for RISC OS games.
I keep asking cericila and sincronia about this.

I wish there was more interestt or the interest was more visible.

I do virtually everything in 3D these days. However, despite the fact I have a decent PC, I keep coming back to my Risc PC to do the modelling in TopModel. It seems to work much more intuitively than the PC packages I own. However, it does lack some features that increase the legwork you have to do. Also its bevelling is horribly broken most of the time. Still, it's my modelling package of choice. However, you can forget rendering ... :-<

Regards,

Max

PS Compo is excellent too.

^[ Log in to reply ]

Andrew Message #85647, posted by andreww at 23:14, 18/7/2001, in reply to message #85646
AA refugee
So one person who is a TopModel fan!
Hopefully it won't be too long now before we get the update and the plug-ins which might alleviate some of the defecits / problems.

I think the rendering is variable but on top of that expectations have risen in light of developments in the PC world.

^[ Log in to reply ]

Acorn Arcade forums: Games: are you listening!?