User accounts
Register new account
Forgot password
Forum stats
List of members
Search the forums

Advanced search
Recent discussions
- WROCC Newsletter Volume 41:11 reviewed (News:)
- WROCC March 2024 meeting o... Hughes and Peter Richmond (News:1)
- Rougol March 2024 meeting on monday with Bernard Boase (News:)
- Drag'n'Drop 13i2 edition reviewed (News:)
- South-West Show 2024 talks (News:4)
- February 2024 News Summary (News:1)
- Next developer fireside chat (News:)
- DDE31d released (News:)
- South-West Show 2024 Report (News:)
- South-West Show 2024 in pictures (News:)
Latest postings RSS Feeds
RSS 2.0 | 1.0 | 0.9
Atom 0.3
Misc RDF | CDF

View on Mastodon
@www.iconbar.com@rss-parrot.net
Site Search

Article archives
Acorn Arcade forums: Games: Hexen 2 on RISC OS

Hexen 2 on RISC OS
  This is a long thread. Click here to view the threaded list.

Chris Gransden Message #120323, posted by grannyg at 11:49, 10/5/2012, in reply to message #120322
Yes to both. In fact, my copy of DRenderer (System:310.Modules.DRenderer) announces itself as 0.56 beta 6!
I had the same problems using this version. Try using 0.55.
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

John Albert Bullen Message #120344, posted by JohnB at 17:54, 10/5/2012, in reply to message #120310
Keep up the good work Chris! Have you got any other ports in the pipeline at the moment?
Quite a few. These two almost done.

wolf4sdl - Wolfenstein 3d
fheroes2 - Heroes of Might and Magic II

Plus a few others in various states of 'workingness'.

gemrb - Baldur's Gate 1 and 2, Icewind Dale etc...
Chris - I love you! If I can run Baldur's Gate in RISC OS I'll sell my Mac and go ARMini only smile
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Andrew Rawnsley Message #120345, posted by arawnsley at 18:15, 10/5/2012, in reply to message #120344
R-Comp chap
I love him too wink I suggested it as a possibility at Wakefield, hoping to play BG on RISC OS finally, but didn't expect such rapid progress!

Great stuff Chris!
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

John Albert Bullen Message #120346, posted by JohnB at 20:09, 10/5/2012, in reply to message #120345
With Heroes it'd be best to have an updated R-Comp version running on RISC OS 5 as then we could have the official AI and other areas where fheroes2 lags a bit.

However Gemrb is a great solution for games that would never otherwise be ported to RISC OS like BG1/2, IWD etc. Looking forward to giving this a go!
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Andrew Rawnsley Message #120348, posted by arawnsley at 21:21, 10/5/2012, in reply to message #120346
R-Comp chap
I believe I have the heroes source still, but not Matthew's updates for RISC OS, unfortunately, so it'd be a case of re-porting. It is mostly C, so should be fairly straightforward, but IIRC there was a small amount of x86 used for some video and IO stuff. That'd probably need re-writing anyway, but would mean conversion to SDL or whatever. If anyone wants a go, I'm happy to see what we can do.
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Christopher Martin Message #120351, posted by rivyn at 07:08, 11/5/2012, in reply to message #120310
Also working on Mesa3d libraries 7.10.3 (OpenGL 2.1 Software renderer). I've not got very far with this. Still trying to work out how to plumb it into SDL.
I made a little progress on this many months ago, but then other projects that didn't need 3D grabbed my attention. I'm using a customised SDL 1.2.14 and was experimenting with Mesa, ChoX11 and RiscXLib. I got a couple of little demos going, but stalled when I needed to implement a GL_SwapBuffers as defined in SDL's [video/SDL_sysvideo.h]. IIRC, I ran into an entanglement problem in that SDL assumes that there is an independent OpenGL layer it can sit upon, and I was trying to use Mesa to be that layer but then Mesa was trying to use SDL. To get around this SDL-OpenGL-Mesa-SDL deadly loop, I started bringing in the ChoX11 and RiscXLib libraries but found that more work was needed there too.

As I said, other projects grabbed my attention and it was many months ago, so my memory is sketchy. But if it would help, I might find the time to dive back in.
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Christopher Martin Message #120352, posted by rivyn at 07:15, 11/5/2012, in reply to message #120323
Yes to both. In fact, my copy of DRenderer (System:310.Modules.DRenderer) announces itself as 0.56 beta 6!
Martin alerted me to the problem and I am currently investigating. I have found 0.56 beta 6 to work on the BeagleBoard with alignment exceptions off. Why this should be so I don't yet know, but I am following some clues. What confuses me more is the possibility that 0.56 beta 6 fails on the ARMini with alignment exceptions off. But one step at a time. I'll get it working properly on BB and then see if it also works on ARMini.
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Chris Gransden Message #120354, posted by grannyg at 08:37, 11/5/2012, in reply to message #120351
Also working on Mesa3d libraries 7.10.3 (OpenGL 2.1 Software renderer). I've not got very far with this. Still trying to work out how to plumb it into SDL.
As I said, other projects grabbed my attention and it was many months ago, so my memory is sketchy. But if it would help, I might find the time to dive back in.
It would be a big help if you could get it working. There's a whole load of games that it would make it easier to port. Many of them require Mesa to build but don't make extensive use of OpenGL or have the ability to turn it off in game.
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Christopher Martin Message #120359, posted by rivyn at 15:17, 11/5/2012, in reply to message #120352
My copy of DRenderer (System:310.Modules.DRenderer) announces itself as 0.56 beta 6!
I'll get it working properly on BB and then see if it also works on ARMini.
I found the bug causing the problem on BeagleBoard and have released 0.56 beta 7 for download from my FFmpeg/FFplay page at http://www.users.on.net/~belles/software/ffmpeg/. I don't have an ARMini to test it on, so please let me know if the problem remains there. And if it matters, alignment exceptions can be turned on.
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Chris Gransden Message #120361, posted by grannyg at 20:05, 11/5/2012, in reply to message #120344
Chris - I love you! If I can run Baldur's Gate in RISC OS I'll sell my Mac and go ARMini only smile
I've uploaded a test version of !GemRB here http://www.cgransden.co.uk/gemrb.zip . For the moment it only runs Baldur's Gate I. Other games may work but there is a problem with picking up the paths correctly. I'll upload a fixed version in the next day or so. Baldur's Gate I should keep you busy for a while. There's not much in the way of instructions. Make sure you read the !Help file first. Also bear in mind that the install folder for each game is about 2.5GiB. I've tested mostly on a Pandaboard but it should be ok on a BeagleBoard xM/ARMini too. Anything else will probably struggle.
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

John Albert Bullen Message #120362, posted by JohnB at 21:06, 11/5/2012, in reply to message #120361
You're a star! BG is endlessly replayable.. I come back to this game constantly with No-Reload and/or solo runs and it's still great fun. I'll let you know how I get on - and thanks again.
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Martin Bazley Message #120366, posted by swirlythingy at 13:39, 12/5/2012, in reply to message #120359

I found the bug causing the problem on BeagleBoard and have released 0.56 beta 7 for download from my FFmpeg/FFplay page at http://www.users.on.net/~belles/software/ffmpeg/. I don't have an ARMini to test it on, so please let me know if the problem remains there. And if it matters, alignment exceptions can be turned on.
I've now tested this with HHeretic on an ARMini with alignment exceptions off. The game successfully started up, and I managed to play about halfway through the first level when it suddenly and silently quit. Again, it failed to write anything to stderr, and doing anything else with the computer afterwards caused a 'FileCore in use'. So there's still a bug lurking there somewhere...

Another thing I've noticed is that all sounds out of HHeretic on both ARMini and Iyonix are much too high-pitched. Changing the option in the !Run file to "-samplerate 11025" fixed this.

On every successful exit, stderr contains the complaint "Mix_LoadMUS failed: Module format not recognized". I'm guessing it's looking for a non-existent MIDI port?

[Edited by swirlythingy at 14:39, 12/5/2012]
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Chris Gransden Message #120367, posted by grannyg at 15:27, 12/5/2012, in reply to message #120366
On every successful exit, stderr contains the complaint "Mix_LoadMUS failed: Module format not recognized". I'm guessing it's looking for a non-existent MIDI port?
This happens when no custom music is installed. See http://hhexen.sourceforge.net/hheretic.html#s6 for instructions.
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Christopher Martin Message #120385, posted by rivyn at 19:35, 14/5/2012, in reply to message #120354
It would be a big help if you could get it working. There's a whole load of games that it would make it easier to port. Many of them require Mesa to build but don't make extensive use of OpenGL or have the ability to turn it off in game.
I have a working reimplementation of the classic 'gears' OpenGL test program built with GCC 4.1.2 on RISC OS with customised SDL 1.2.14 and Mesa 7.4.4 libraries. I have uploaded it to http://www.users.on.net/~belles/software/DIYgears.zip .
Included in the archive is the original C source 'SDLgears' so you can see what I needed to change.
After you've had a look at my code, we should discuss by some other channel how to proceed. Email me?

[Edited by rivyn at 20:38, 14/5/2012]
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Christopher Martin Message #120393, posted by rivyn at 11:12, 15/5/2012, in reply to message #120366
I found the bug causing the problem on BeagleBoard and have released 0.56 beta 7 for download from my FFmpeg/FFplay page at http://www.users.on.net/~belles/software/ffmpeg/.
I've now tested this with HHeretic on an ARMini with alignment exceptions off. The game successfully started up, and I managed to play about halfway through the first level when it suddenly and silently quit. Again, it failed to write anything to stderr, and doing anything else with the computer afterwards caused a 'FileCore in use'. So there's still a bug lurking there somewhere...
Try beta 8 now available at the above URL.
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Pages (2): |< < 2

Acorn Arcade forums: Games: Hexen 2 on RISC OS