User accounts
Register new account
Forgot password
Forum stats
List of members
Search the forums

Advanced search
Recent discussions
- WROCC September 2024 talk on wednesday - Amcog (News:1)
- September developer 'fireside' chat is on saturday night (News:)
- CloudFS re-evaluated with new 0.35 release (News:3)
- August 2024 News Summary (News:2)
- August Rougol report - Gerph goes 64 bit (News:4)
- Rougol August 2024 meeting on monday (News:2)
- WROCC August 2024 meeting - Paul Reuvers (XAT) (News:3)
- Drag'n'Drop 13i4 edition reviewed (News:)
- WROCC August 2024 meeting on wednesday - Paul Reuvers (News:)
- 'Live Coding with Gerph" session on sunday (News:)
Related articles
- PinBoard 2.05 released
- RISCOSbits updates FAST ROM
- CachesFS and Iris update from WROCC November meeting
- TextEase Reviewed - Turtle Graphics
- ROOL updates DDE to release 30
- RISC OS London Show 2020
- RISC OS London 2020 talks
- PhotoFiler get first update in 12 years
- RISC OS Developments moves into hardware
- September developer 'fireside' chat is on saturday night
Latest postings RSS Feeds
RSS 2.0 | 1.0 | 0.9
Atom 0.3
Misc RDF | CDF

View on Mastodon
@www.iconbar.com@rss-parrot.net
Site Search

Article archives
Acorn Arcade forums: News and features: CloudFS re-evaluated with new 0.35 release

CloudFS re-evaluated with new 0.35 release

Posted by Mark Stephens on 07:50, 27/8/2024 | ,

The latest release of CloudFS (0.35) seems like an excellent reason to revisit this really useful RISC OS application....

CloudFS allows you to have a RISC OS drive which is actually on a remote server. It is noticeably slower than a local drive (especially obviously on my superfast FAST system). So what I use it for is backups and sharing. It runs on all systems (including RPCemu which does not support ShareFS).

In my screenshot you can see my PCloud drive and my drive which contains a set of files I use every day in daily. PinBoard 2.0 works without any issues and you can see shortcuts to two of these files (current and OrgData).  I also have a little BBC BASIC application I wrote (!MyTimer) which stores its data on the cloud.

CloudFS is supplied as a small zip (cloudfs/zip) containing !Installer which you run to install or update the software. You will also need an account with PCloud (the free 10 Gig account is all I have ever needed). This also works on Windows, Mac and Linux.

PCloud also has a really useful feature to create shares of local drives on the Cloud. So the personal, downloads and desktop folders are actually on my local Mac Book Pro. CloudFS resolves all the file mappings correctly (no default text type) and I can access the cached copy even if my Mac is switched (PCloud sorts it all out and synchronises everything).

So CloudFS performs 3 critical functions for me:-

• allowing a common set of data files I can access from whichever RISC OS box I am using (or RPCemu if on the road),
  • offsite data backups
  • integrating my RISC OS systems with my laptop.

I have used it for 8 years (so far) and it is in daily use.

If you are already a CloudFS user, you should run !Installer to get the latest copy. Otherwise, I recommend you pop along to Elesar's website and have a look (a new version costs 28 pounds).

CloudFS re-evaluated with new 0.35 release
  djh (10:06 2/9/2024)
  markee174 (15:57 2/9/2024)
    djh (19:45 2/9/2024)

Daniel Hanlon Message #125682, posted by djh at 10:06, 2/9/2024
Nice write-up! It's a very useful piece of software and I, similarly, have been using it for a number of years. However, I'd not realised that it's possible to have a cached copy that you can access whilst offline - I just see the drive when I'm connected just like any network drive mounted through OmniClient. How do you make it keep the cached copy?
Thanks!
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Mark Stephens Message #125683, posted by markee174 at 15:57, 2/9/2024, in reply to message #125682
Does all the
work around here

Cached copy is in PCloud so you can access the files on your Mac with it switched off, but you need internet on RISC OS side to access it.
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Daniel Hanlon Message #125684, posted by djh at 19:45, 2/9/2024, in reply to message #125683
Ah, thanks Mark - sorry, I misunderstood.
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Acorn Arcade forums: News and features: CloudFS re-evaluated with new 0.35 release