Forgot password
Forum stats
List of members
Search the forums

Advanced search
Recent discussions
- Git client updated to 0.07 (News:1)
- Archive Edition 27:1 reviewed (News:)
- Rougol April 2024 meeting on monday is Anniversary time (News:1)
- WROCC April 2024 meeting o...changes to our phone lines (News:1)
- April developer 'fireside' chat is on saturday night (News:)
- March 2024 News Summary (News:4)
- WROCC Newsletter Volume 41:11 reviewed (News:)
- WROCC March 2024 meeting o... Hughes and Peter Richmond (News:1)
- Rougol March 2024 meeting on monday with Bernard Boase (News:)
- Drag'n'Drop 13i2 edition reviewed (News:)
Latest postings RSS Feeds
RSS 2.0 | 1.0 | 0.9
Atom 0.3
Misc RDF | CDF

View on Mastodon
@www.iconbar.com@rss-parrot.net
Site Search

Article archives
Acorn Arcade forums: Games: TIB's NintendoDS Community Meeting Place Thing Doodah

TIB's NintendoDS Community Meeting Place Thing Doodah
  This is a long thread. Click here to view the threaded list.

Phil Mellor Message #74316, posted by monkeyson2 at 21:06, 8/3/2006, in reply to message #74315
monkeyson2Please don't let them make me be a monkey butler

I think I've just worked out how to hold a DS properly :o

Up until now I've been trying to hold it like a GBA, i.e. wrapping my index fingers round the top to use the shoulder buttons, and pressing the bottom corners of the unit into the palms of my hand (unlike the GBA where you can rest it against the inner side of your index finger's knuckles). However you then have to bend your thumbs to reach the buttons, which gets uncomfortable after playing for a while.

The new approach (which I have yet to test playing a game :P) is to have the bottom corners of the unit further up my hand, closer to the joint between my index fingers and thumbs. I then have my other fingers slightly straighter behind the console, so that they're pointing towards each other. This seems to give enough distance for my thumbs to straighten out, without me losing massive amounts of shoulder button control or dropping the unit on the floor :P

*makes note to read up on the names of the different parts of the hand before trying to explain anything like this again*
Man, I didn't understand a word of that. Must be the joint between your index fingers and thumbs!
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Jeffrey Lee Message #74339, posted by Phlamethrower at 22:20, 10/3/2006, in reply to message #74316
PhlamethrowerHot Hot Hot Hot Hot Hot Hot Hot Hot Hot Hot Hot Hot stuff

So.. those of you with DS's with mario kart and wireless connections, are any of you near your DS+mario kart+wireless connection anytime this weekend and have the free time to play?
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Andrew Poole Message #74341, posted by andypoole at 23:14, 10/3/2006, in reply to message #74339
andypoole
Mouse enthusiast
Web
Twitter

So.. those of you with DS's with mario kart and wireless connections, are any of you near your DS+mario kart+wireless connection anytime this weekend and have the free time to play?
nope.
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

richard cheng Message #74437, posted by richcheng at 14:34, 15/3/2006, in reply to message #74341

I want one.
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Jeffrey Lee Message #74444, posted by Phlamethrower at 20:25, 15/3/2006, in reply to message #74437

I want one.
You bastard! You just made me look at a page with a quicktime movie on it! (Which didn't load, of course). Now I'll have to disable the stupid taskbar thingy again!
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Kris Adcock Message #74458, posted by krisa at 11:47, 17/3/2006, in reply to message #74444
Well, I yielded to temptation and bought a DS (with Mario Kart and Sonic Rush) despite the fact that I have friends who are visiting Singapore and Japan in the next month or so and promised to bring me back a Lite. I'm so shallow ...

Anyone fancy sending me their friend code, then? :)

(Visit http://www.danceswithferrets.org/ for my e-mail address.)
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Jeffrey Lee Message #74463, posted by Phlamethrower at 19:45, 17/3/2006, in reply to message #74458

Well, I yielded to temptation and bought a DS (with Mario Kart and Sonic Rush)
A wise choice :E

despite the fact that I have friends who are visiting Singapore and Japan in the next month or so and promised to bring me back a Lite.
When you get the Lite, flog it on ebay! :P

Anyone fancy sending me their friend code, then? :)
Sent :E

So, back to the age old question - is anyone actually going to be available to play this weekend? :P
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Andrew Poole Message #74465, posted by andypoole at 20:01, 17/3/2006, in reply to message #74463
andypoole
Mouse enthusiast
Web
Twitter

So, back to the age old question - is anyone actually going to be available to play this weekend? :P
Did you really need to ask that question?
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Jeffrey Lee Message #74466, posted by Phlamethrower at 20:50, 17/3/2006, in reply to message #74465

Did you really need to ask that question?
Obviously!
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Jeffrey Lee Message #74493, posted by Phlamethrower at 11:56, 19/3/2006, in reply to message #73720

Metroid Prime Hunters (Nintendo) - 5 May
In some of the gameplay movies they have reflective/translucent floors :o:o:o
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

ninjah Message #74515, posted by ninj at 18:12, 22/3/2006, in reply to message #74493
Um, the demo (more of a control/tech demo than a full game demo) that comes with the machine (in the UK at least) has a translucent/reflective floor on top of the ball puzzle, doesn't it?
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Andrew Poole Message #74516, posted by andypoole at 19:58, 22/3/2006, in reply to message #74515
andypoole
Mouse enthusiast
Web
Twitter

Um, the demo (more of a control/tech demo than a full game demo) that comes with the machine (in the UK at least) has a translucent/reflective floor on top of the ball puzzle, doesn't it?
Whassis?
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Jeffrey Lee Message #74523, posted by Phlamethrower at 21:15, 22/3/2006, in reply to message #74515

Yeah, that sounds like the same area.

However my DS didn't come with that demo, so I can't say for certain :)
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Jeffrey Lee Message #74584, posted by Phlamethrower at 20:11, 29/3/2006, in reply to message #74523

We can't blame just the graphics, though. Many people will play Worms: Open Warfare by themselves, so it's a good thing that there's at least some sort of level progression involved in the game in the form of "challenges." Most of the challenges are standard Worms battles, but each one has specific elements - four worms against one computer AI worm, four worms against four worms but with half the energy, that sort of thing. But when the AI routine will frequently do ultra stupid moves like walk off a ledge to kill itself or fire a weapon into its own teammate, you know something's up: inept programming routines.
http://ds.ign.com/articles/698/698661p1.html

Obviously they inherited the AI code from the gameboy version :P
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Jeffrey Lee Message #74607, posted by Phlamethrower at 20:35, 31/3/2006, in reply to message #74584

Animal Crossing, Phoenix Wright, and (amazingly) Meteos. Hurrah!

*goes off to play*
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Phil Mellor Message #74608, posted by monkeyson2 at 20:51, 31/3/2006, in reply to message #74607

Animal Crossing, Phoenix Wright, and (amazingly) Meteos. Hurrah!

*goes off to play*
I bought Meteos when I got my DS. I like it.

Considering getting AC this weekend - how gay is it?
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Jeffrey Lee Message #74609, posted by Phlamethrower at 20:57, 31/3/2006, in reply to message #74608

Considering getting AC this weekend - how gay is it?
Not sure - just about to try it now :o
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Jeffrey Lee Message #74610, posted by Phlamethrower at 21:53, 31/3/2006, in reply to message #74609

First impressions are good :)

If by gay you mean sucking completely, then it doesn't. However if by gay you mean relying on cute creatures for some of its appeal, then yes it does.

The closest description I can think of would be that it's Nintendo's version of The Sims. Except that you'd only be controlling one character all the time, instead of a house of them. (Unless you get someone else to move in, of course)

I guess I'll be able to say more about it when interesting stuff starts happening in the town.
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Phil Mellor Message #74611, posted by monkeyson2 at 23:02, 31/3/2006, in reply to message #74610

Damn, I might have to buy this tomorrow.

Are there any monkeys in it? :o
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Jeffrey Lee Message #74613, posted by Phlamethrower at 02:40, 1/4/2006, in reply to message #74611

Damn, I might have to buy this tomorrow.
:o :E

Not that I've seen - but I think the (initial?) animals that live in your town are picked (semi-) randomly when you start a new game, so there's a chance there's a monkey in there somewhere. You're human, however. The character creation process is certainly one of the most innovative I've seen, and leaves you wondering what would happen if you went back and did it differently :)
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Phil Mellor Message #74614, posted by monkeyson2 at 02:50, 1/4/2006, in reply to message #74613

Does it have multiple languages in it? I was wondering if the European release would have less text in it because it would have to be duplicated in French, German, Spanish and Elbonian.
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Jeffrey Lee Message #74615, posted by Phlamethrower at 03:10, 1/4/2006, in reply to message #74614

Does it have multiple languages in it? I was wondering if the European release would have less text in it because it would have to be duplicated in French, German, Spanish and Elbonian.
Yes. In fact, I recently read an interview (note: contains tentative mentions of the Revolution) where they said the reason the western and Japanese versions can't connect to each other is because they ran out of RAM to be able to store both the alphabet sets :P
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Phil Mellor Message #74625, posted by monkeyson2 at 16:23, 1/4/2006, in reply to message #74615

I've got it!!!!1111!!
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Jeffrey Lee Message #74626, posted by Phlamethrower at 17:15, 1/4/2006, in reply to message #74625

I've got it!!!!1111!!
Is it contagious? :o

AC:WW friends code is on its way.
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Phil Mellor Message #74627, posted by monkeyson2 at 18:04, 1/4/2006, in reply to message #74626

I've got it!!!!1111!!

Cool. Check your mail.
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Jeffrey Lee Message #74628, posted by Phlamethrower at 18:06, 1/4/2006, in reply to message #74627

I've got it!!!!1111!!

Cool. Check your mail.
Yay!
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Jeffrey Lee Message #74629, posted by Phlamethrower at 20:03, 1/4/2006, in reply to message #74628

Any fan mail from my town? :P
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Jeffrey Lee Message #74630, posted by Phlamethrower at 20:22, 1/4/2006, in reply to message #74611

Monkeys!!! :E (In the friends section)
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Phil Mellor Message #74631, posted by monkeyson2 at 21:03, 1/4/2006, in reply to message #74629

Any fan mail from my town? :P
No :(
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Jeffrey Lee Message #74632, posted by Phlamethrower at 21:34, 1/4/2006, in reply to message #74631

Phoenix Wright is cool, btw :) (As is Meteos, but I guess you already know that :P)
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Pages (38): |< < 5 > >|

Acorn Arcade forums: Games: TIB's NintendoDS Community Meeting Place Thing Doodah