Register new account
Forgot password
Forum stats
List of members
Search the forums

Advanced search
Recent discussions
- Archive Edition 27:2 reviewed (News:)
- WROCC May 2024 meeting - Gerph talks games (News:)
- Drag'n'Drop 13i3 edition reviewed (News:1)
- Wakefield Show 2024 in Pictures (News:5)
- April 2024 News Summary (News:2)
- RISC OS 5.30 arrives (News:2)
- Upgrading your RISC OS system to 5.30 (News:2)
- WROCC May 2024 meeting on wednesday - Gerph talks games (News:)
- uniprint upgraded to 4.50 (News:)
- PhotoDesk 3.23 released (News:)
Latest postings RSS Feeds
RSS 2.0 | 1.0 | 0.9
Atom 0.3
Misc RDF | CDF

View on Mastodon
@www.iconbar.com@rss-parrot.net
Site Search

Article archives
Acorn Arcade forums: Games: Wiiiiiiiiiiiiii!

Wiiiiiiiiiiiiii!
  This is a long thread. Click here to view the threaded list.

John Hoare Message #101786, posted by moss at 14:42, 27/4/2007, in reply to message #101785

It works grin

Lovely piccy quality, too. Hopefully they'll start adding it to the Sega games as well - I want to play Sonic using the component lead...
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

John Hoare Message #101799, posted by moss at 23:50, 27/4/2007, in reply to message #101786

OK, I'm getting annoyed with OOT.

SPOILERS

After getting stuck with getting to Zora's Domain (which I don't mind too much - I think it was a hard puzzle, but I'm willing to accept I should have seen that exit point on Hyrule Field), I enter, talk to the King to find that his daughter is missing... and then are given *no* clue what to do next. I tried presenting a fish to him, like one of the Zora's suggested, but nothing.

In the end, I had to cheat - and found out that I had to go to Lake Hylia. I haven't read any more than that, as I didn't want to spoil it. But - I was given *no* clue that I was supposed to go to Lake Hylia. None at all. Usually in Twilight Princess, I slapped my head and thought "of course!" when I had to look up solutions - but not here. And this is early on in the game!

I don't really want to play the game if the puzzles are just going to be unfair.

[Edited by moss at 23:51, 27/4/2007]
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Phil Mellor Message #101800, posted by monkeyson2 at 01:02, 28/4/2007, in reply to message #101799
monkeyson2Please don't let them make me be a monkey butler

After getting stuck with getting to Zora's Domain (which I don't mind too much - I think it was a hard puzzle, but I'm willing to accept I should have seen that exit point on Hyrule Field),
Ah, I found that exit point the first time I was supposed to be visiting Kakariko village! tongue

I enter, talk to the King to find that his daughter is missing... and then are given *no* clue what to do next. I tried presenting a fish to him, like one of the Zora's suggested, but nothing.
Presenting a fish is probably a clue for a bit later on.

In the end, I had to cheat - and found out that I had to go to Lake Hylia. I haven't read any more than that, as I didn't want to spoil it. But - I was given *no* clue that I was supposed to go to Lake Hylia. None at all.
His fishy daughter is missing. Wouldn't it be a good idea to explore watery areas to look for clues? Especially when you've just obtained an object that allows you to breathe underwater for longer?

Usually in Twilight Princess, I slapped my head and thought "of course!" when I had to look up solutions - but not here. And this is early on in the game!
I thought the solutions to problems in TP were too obviously signposted. Somebody on NotBBC talked about the grammar of a Zelda puzzle - once you've got that sussed, it all seems to click.

I don't really want to play the game if the puzzles are just going to be unfair.
There isn't much that's unfair in the game, although it's fairly typical of games of that era in that everything you have to do isn't explicitly explained. (How did anyone work out what you had to do to solve arcade adventures on the Beeb?) I find more recent games tend to tell you the problem or puzzle, and in the same cut scene or conversation tell or show you precisely what to do. And then you just go on and do it. What would be nice is for games to notice when you're stuck, and then offer clues dynamically.

Get yourself a walkthrough for the water temple, when you finally get to it, as that place is annoyingly hard. It's logical, and you can see the logic of how the temple works, but applying that logic to solve the problems requires a devious mind - much more than in any other part of the game. I used spoilers, and lots of them!
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

John Hoare Message #101801, posted by moss at 01:11, 28/4/2007, in reply to message #101800

His fishy daughter is missing. Wouldn't it be a good idea to explore watery areas to look for clues? Especially when you've just obtained an object that allows you to breathe underwater for longer?
I haven't obtained that object yet! In fact, I don't even know how to get it. (Don't tell me yet. Maybe I should complete the fish-diving thing.) Maybe if I'd got that, it would have been more obvious...

I thought the solutions to problems in TP were too obviously signposted. Somebody on NotBBC talked about the grammar of a Zelda puzzle - once you've got that sussed, it all seems to click.
I can imagine, if you'd played OOT first, then some of the TP puzzles would probably seem ridiculous easy. I probably played them the right way round...

Get yourself a walkthrough for the water temple, when you finally get to it, as that place is annoyingly hard. It's logical, and you can see the logic of how the temple works, but applying that logic to solve the problems requires a devious mind - much more than in any other part of the game. I used spoilers, and lots of them!
I think I will do, ta smile
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Phil Mellor Message #101802, posted by monkeyson2 at 01:18, 28/4/2007, in reply to message #101801

I haven't obtained that object yet! In fact, I don't even know how to get it. (Don't tell me yet. Maybe I should complete the fish-diving thing.) Maybe if I'd got that, it would have been more obvious...
Maybe! tongue

It's hardly a spoiler that such an object exists because you gained similar abilities in TP too smile
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

John Hoare Message #101803, posted by moss at 01:21, 28/4/2007, in reply to message #101802

Indeed. Plus, I've seen loads of stuff underwater, so I knew I'd get it at some point. Also: I saw it in the shop for 300 rupees (so I can't buy it there, as my purse only carried 100).

I just thought I'd probably get it later on...
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Jeffrey Lee Message #101804, posted by Phlamethrower at 08:21, 28/4/2007, in reply to message #101803
PhlamethrowerHot Hot Hot Hot Hot Hot Hot Hot Hot Hot Hot Hot Hot stuff

You're all IDIOTS and CHEATING WHORES and I hope that when Zelda DS comes out I'll be able to show you just how easy it all is (and how stupid you all are) by completing the game without using spoilers. Unless what monkey said about the puzzles getting easier is true, that is tongue

Um, that's all. Please continue getting stuck and frustrated shock
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

John Hoare Message #101923, posted by moss at 22:45, 1/5/2007, in reply to message #101804

Right, I'm getting a bit further now. My main mistake was assuming the diving game was for a piece of heart, wasn't it? If I hadn't done that, then I would easily have continued, and seen the letter in the bottle. I think assuming it was for a heart piece is reasonable though, since nearly every other game is for one. The fact you had to pay also indicates this...

Also: going to Lake Hylia seemed *mad* before - now I know that that little passageway I can now access leads there, it doesn't look like I have to go right across the map without any clues any more tongue

So I take it back. I still think that since leaving Dorongo's Cavern, there's been a tiny bit too little direction as to where to go for this early in the game, mind.
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

John Hoare Message #101957, posted by moss at 00:18, 3/5/2007, in reply to message #101923

I'm inside Lord Jabu Jabu smile

...it's hard indiff
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Adam Lloyd Message #102007, posted by adamlloyd at 12:15, 6/5/2007, in reply to message #101957
apparently, there is a game for the Wii that you're supposed to poke Vernon Kay in the eye with a stick, I might get a Wii if that is real smile
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

John Hoare Message #102031, posted by moss at 19:10, 6/5/2007, in reply to message #102007

Another small moan about OOT - I'm in Jabu Jabu, and I've been stuck for ages. I knew what I had to do at some point - take the Princess, and use her to open the switches up above - but I couldn't figure out how to get her upstairs.

I've finally worked it out - *throw* her up on the ledge in the water-filled cavern - but before I worked out that I had to do that, each time you put her down SHE DISAPPEARS. This is just *really* confusing, and makes you think you're doing entirely the wrong thing...
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

John Hoare Message #102139, posted by moss at 01:21, 12/5/2007, in reply to message #102031

OK, OK, I know I moan a lot about Zelda. But: I've just done the first three dungeons,

SPOILERS

become an adult, and come out of the Temple of Time.

FUCKING HELL. That *shot* of the Temple of time as you come out! The deserted marketplace! And I've not even gone anywhere else yet...

I complain that Zelda doesn't have nearly the as decent a story as Final Fantasy games - and what I love about FF games are the sheer WTF moments they stick in there. Well, I've finally come across one... and what a fucking amazing one as well.
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Phil Mellor Message #102453, posted by monkeyson2 at 02:49, 26/5/2007, in reply to message #102139

http://business.timesonline.co.uk/tol/business/industry_sectors/media/article1843020.ece

"The presenters of BBC One’s Breakfast programme came under fire for “enthusiastically and uncritically” playing with Nintendo’s newly launched Wii games console."

But there's no other way to play it! tongue
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

John Hoare Message #102454, posted by moss at 03:07, 26/5/2007, in reply to message #102453

Well, quite.

It's what I always bang on about in releation to G&T - an aversion to bias is all very well, but you can take it too far. There's a huge difference between Breakfast having fun with the Wii (perfectly acceptable), and the corporation having a huge bias towards Nintendo products (not acceptable - and not true).

People are far, far too sensitive to bias - and in cases like this, it makes programmes boring. Why *shouldn't* Breakfast have fun with the Wii? Are they not allowed to give their honest opinion on how fun it is? Because *that* is far more dangerous than any supposed bias.

Everyone on Newsnight Review slagged off the Wii when they reviewed it. But that's not seen as bias. Why not? Because it's negative?
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Andrew Poole Message #102772, posted by andypoole at 00:11, 8/6/2007, in reply to message #102454
andypoole
Mouse enthusiast
Web
Twitter

Wiiitis, anyone?
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Jeffrey Lee Message #102773, posted by Phlamethrower at 00:39, 8/6/2007, in reply to message #102772
PhlamethrowerHot Hot Hot Hot Hot Hot Hot Hot Hot Hot Hot Hot Hot stuff

American doctors stating what the rest of the world worked out as soon as the Wii was released, there.

Also "Wiiitis" almost looks like "Wiitits"
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Matthew Somerville Message #102898, posted by Matthew at 23:11, 13/6/2007, in reply to message #102773
Matthew

Nintendonitis is a better word.

I played on a Wii for the first time this weekend - most of the weekend. smile Four play tennis is great; two of us have already bought Wiis since and I'm probably going to break soon grin On the down side, my arm and back hurt...
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Chris Message #102915, posted by Chris at 19:37, 14/6/2007, in reply to message #102454
People are far, far too sensitive to bias - and in cases like this, it makes programmes boring. Why *shouldn't* Breakfast have fun with the Wii? Are they not allowed to give their honest opinion on how fun it is? Because *that* is far more dangerous than any supposed bias.

Everyone on Newsnight Review slagged off the Wii when they reviewed it. But that's not seen as bias. Why not? Because it's negative?
The Times (which printed the original article, which I agree is terrible) won't miss a chance to have a go at the BBC, it being a News Corp. publication and all. Those two are like the Castle and ROL of the media world. Except they're important. And they actually sell stuff.
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Andrew Poole Message #103627, posted by andypoole at 00:33, 25/7/2007, in reply to message #102915
andypoole
Mouse enthusiast
Web
Twitter

So what're people's Wiiiiii numbers, then?

Andy. Now avec wii.
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

John Hoare Message #103669, posted by moss at 18:44, 29/7/2007, in reply to message #103627

Hmmm. I've just been on the Wii Vote channel, and have got Friday's question - but no new results.

Anyone else had this?
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Andrew Poole Message #103672, posted by andypoole at 21:36, 29/7/2007, in reply to message #103669
andypoole
Mouse enthusiast
Web
Twitter

Hmmm. I've just been on the Wii Vote channel, and have got Friday's question - but no new results.

Anyone else had this?
Not yet, but then.. I've not had my Wii long enough to notice smile

On a side note, how warm does the left hand side of your Wii get if you leave it in standby with WiiConnect24 on? Mine seems to get rather warm.. as in.. about as warm as my Mac Mini normally runs... Possibly a bit warmer.. indiff

Andy.
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Phil Mellor Message #103769, posted by monkeyson2 at 22:59, 7/8/2007, in reply to message #103672

I can't find the posts where I was complaining about it, but the latest Wii system update seems to have fixed my problem with the component cable, where sudden white flashes would cause the TV to complain about having 'no signal' for a couple of seconds. Yay!

It's also tweaked the news channel (seems to be more news in general, and certainly more pictures), added a clock to the home screen, and some funky new music in the photo channel.

Anyone spotted any other changes?
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

John Hoare Message #103770, posted by moss at 23:03, 7/8/2007, in reply to message #103769

Just updating now.

How did you know there was an update? I've had to do it manually, and there was no notice telling me to do it...
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Andrew Poole Message #103771, posted by andypoole at 23:14, 7/8/2007, in reply to message #103770
andypoole
Mouse enthusiast
Web
Twitter

Just updating now.

How did you know there was an update? I've had to do it manually, and there was no notice telling me to do it...
I found out about it from the internets.

I turned off the standby connection for wiiconnect24 since the wii was getting rather toasty :S

How warm does your wii get in standby with wiiconnect24 on? shock
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Phil Mellor Message #103772, posted by monkeyson2 at 23:24, 7/8/2007, in reply to message #103771

Just updating now.

I found out about it from the internets.
Me too.

I turned off the standby connection for wiiconnect24 since the wii was getting rather toasty :S
Yeah, I turned the standby connection off too - not because I was worried about it overheating, but just because it was a waste of electricity.

How warm does your wii get in standby with wiiconnect24 on? shock
Warmish. Like a cat had been sleeping on it. It doesn't use the fan in standby mode, mind.
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

John Hoare Message #103774, posted by moss at 23:36, 7/8/2007, in reply to message #103772

Another change - the Today's Accomplishments message envelope is now white. All the others are still yellow, though.

Also, I think you used to be able to drag the envelopes nearly off-screen - but not it won't let you, and just snaps them back into the corners.

[Edited by moss at 00:06, 8/8/2007]
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

John Hoare Message #103775, posted by moss at 23:38, 7/8/2007, in reply to message #103769

added a clock to the home screen
With a slightly redesigned shape, of course, to fit it in...
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

John Hoare Message #103777, posted by moss at 23:49, 7/8/2007, in reply to message #103775

Yep, lots more news and pictures. I think the animation (and the graphics?) when you're on the Globe screen and are selecting news stories around the world is different too.

Oh, and the latest headlines on the News Channel front page is new as well - taking its cue from the Forecast Channel...

Speaking of which, it now has the appropriate weather symbol on the Wii Menu now, rather than a generic icon.

[Edited by moss at 23:53, 7/8/2007]
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

John Hoare Message #103780, posted by moss at 00:00, 8/8/2007, in reply to message #103777

Oh, and the Wii Ship has been jigged around - most of the screens redesigned, including a completely new opening screen listing recommended games, and lots of new search options.

[Edited by moss at 00:02, 8/8/2007]
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Phil Mellor Message #103787, posted by monkeyson2 at 11:57, 8/8/2007, in reply to message #103780

Keyboard support! grin
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Pages (9): |< < 5 > >|

Acorn Arcade forums: Games: Wiiiiiiiiiiiiii!